Peanut butter is junk food, isn't it?

Options
I see all these posts from North America listing peanut butter as a healthy, calorie-dense food.

I reckon some is. In Australia, **** Smith and Sanitarium is peanutty, and correspondingly expensive. The cheaper brands are cut with palm oil or bad transfats, and counts as junk food to me - high calories for not many nutrients.

Is all the peanut butter in the US the good kind? Or is most junk food?

Edit Ah haha, the common diminutive for the name "Richard", as used by one of Australia's most successful entrepreneurs, is banned.

Replies

• GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    In the USA, typical budget peanut butter is mostly peanuts and sugar. No trans fats, and just enough (<2%) hydrogenated oil to give it a smooth texture.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are plentiful and relatively cheap in the US. Most commercial peanut butters here are (mostly) just peanuts, salt, and/or sugar. However, unless you buy the "all natural" varieties, most of them have a little bit of hydrogenated oils (no trans fats, though) added so you don't have to stir.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    All peanut butter is relatively high calorie.

Probably not the best idea except in extreme moderation when trying to lose, but its one of the better mass calories sources when bulking (fair amount of protein).
  • Pnutcashew
    Pnutcashew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat a tbsp or two a day and have lost 28 pounds since 1/14/13. I find it helps satisfy my sweet cravings.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    In the USA, typical budget peanut butter is mostly peanuts and sugar. No trans fats, and just enough (<2%) hydrogenated oil to give it a smooth texture.
    Peanuts are plentiful and relatively cheap in the US. Most commercial peanut butters here are (mostly) just peanuts, salt, and/or sugar. However, unless you buy the "all natural" varieties, most of them have a little bit of hydrogenated oils (no trans fats, though) added so you don't have to stir.

Unfortunately both of these statements are incorrect. Though the trans fat is listed as 0 on the nutrition facts label, if there are partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients, the peanut butter DOES have trans fat. There is a loophole in the labeling law that allows for a serving size of less than half a gram of trans fat to be listed as 0. It's a lie, but one that makes uninformed consumers much, much more likely to buy the product.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    To respond to the OP, "natural" peanut butter, which should contain only peanuts and (if you want) salt, is becoming more and more common in the US. It's a little pricier, but well worth it. IMO peanut butter doesn't need and shouldn't have sugar, and it certainly shouldn't have partially hydrogenated oils.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I eat pb almost daily...i think I workout just to "earn" it. LOL Well, that and bacon.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

What I hear through my prejudice is

Peanut butter has salt, sugar and extra fats added, some of which are dangerous, unless you pay extra for the one that is healthy.

It is like supermarket baked beans - miracle food, if you could get some without the sugar and salt.

I am not a health food freak, but I am unfamiliar with the idea that peanut butter is a calorie-dense health food comparable to avocado or eggs.
  • grandevampire
    grandevampire Posts: 242
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Peanut butter has salt, sugar and extra fats added, some of which are dangerous, unless you pay extra for the one that is healthy.

It is like supermarket baked beans - miracle food, if you could get some without the sugar and salt.

I am not a health food freak, but I am unfamiliar with the idea that peanut butter is a calorie-dense health food comparable to avocado or eggs.

As I mentioned on the other concurrent PB thread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991009-peanut-butter), you can just make your own by food processing raw peanuts. Goodbye to any ingredient worries from the store-bought varieties that do indeed contains loads of questionable and unnecessary crap. This reduces your question to whether or not peanuts are junk food (and I don't think they are in any way).
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Though the trans fat is listed as 0 on the nutrition facts label, if there are partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients, the peanut butter DOES have trans fat. There is a loophole in the labeling law that allows for a serving size of less than half a gram of trans fat to be listed as 0.
    Yes, peanut butter does technically contain some trans fat. But the hydrogenated oils are less than two percent of the peanut butter, and tests have shown that all mainstream brands have less than 0.005g of trans fat per serving. If 0.005g of trans fat is that important to you, then by all means buy natural (non-emulsified) peanut butter instead.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ta, vampire, but I am not dissing peanuts or any other nut (healthy), but processed peanut butter.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

As I mentioned on the other concurrent PB thread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991009-peanut-butter), you can just make your own by food processing raw peanuts. Goodbye to any ingredient worries from the store-bought varieties that do indeed contains loads of questionable and unnecessary crap. This reduces your question to whether or not peanuts are junk food (and I don't think they are in any way).

This. ^^^
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    To respond to the OP, "natural" peanut butter, which should contain only peanuts and (if you want) salt, is becoming more and more common in the US. It's a little pricier, but well worth it. IMO peanut butter doesn't need and shouldn't have sugar, and it certainly shouldn't have partially hydrogenated oils.

This.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't care if people say its "junk" or not..

its delicious, a great source of protein/carbs/fats and I get LOADS of energy from it!!

So Peanut Butter me ALL DAY!
  • essicagoddess
    essicagoddess Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    totally agree and I've lost 21 lbs. so far.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie dense food because nuts have a lot of fat. You need dietary fat. If you're worried about the trans just by natty pb.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I eat a tbsp or two a day and have lost 28 pounds since 1/14/13. I find it helps satisfy my sweet cravings.

Nope! Just get natural ingredients and it's sooo good, and a good source of healthy fats
    peanut-butter-fingers-o.gif
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter! I think the key is moderation.

What about **** Clark or **** Van *kitten*?

Nope.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think of eating anything but natural peanut butter, so if I talk about eating peanut butter, I mean the kind without added sugar or fat. IMO the kind with sugar and/or partially hydrogenated oil IS junk food.

eta: Sadly, a lot of the peanut butters labeled "natural" don't fit my eating plan. I guess I'm using natural in the wrong context. I mean that I eat peanut butter that only contains peanuts and maybe salt.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mhx8mrFfq71qcoyt0o3_500.gif