Peanut butter is junk food, isn't it?

Options

Replies

• iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In the USA, typical budget peanut butter is mostly peanuts and sugar. No trans fats, and just enough (<2%) hydrogenated oil to give it a smooth texture.
    Peanuts are plentiful and relatively cheap in the US. Most commercial peanut butters here are (mostly) just peanuts, salt, and/or sugar. However, unless you buy the "all natural" varieties, most of them have a little bit of hydrogenated oils (no trans fats, though) added so you don't have to stir.

Unfortunately both of these statements are incorrect. Though the trans fat is listed as 0 on the nutrition facts label, if there are partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients, the peanut butter DOES have trans fat. There is a loophole in the labeling law that allows for a serving size of less than half a gram of trans fat to be listed as 0. It's a lie, but one that makes uninformed consumers much, much more likely to buy the product.

That's not a loophole, that's just math.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    PB is ambrosia....*drool*
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    To the OP....in the US D i c k is a profanity. I think it's interesting how profanity is different among cultures.....you might have already known though.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I buy Smucker's Natural No Salt Added peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts

:smile:

Best **** ever - but kind of addictive, like crack, only it's good for you.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I haven't purchased peanut butter in ages. We have a friend who makes the most amazing peanut butter, it's actually rather spicey and amazing, whenever we go to Haiti we come back with jars of it (that and Haitian vanilla - holy delicious). Have you tried making it yourself?
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people are against PB...maybe if it's a trigger for you, then I understand, but I never saw it as junk food......I eat PB&J and I've lost plenty of weight. If you're really worried about the calories..use 1 T (90cals) instead of 2 T, get low sugar jelly(10cal), and low calorie wheat bread(70 cal for two slices).. boom my pb&j sammich is 170 calories and I use it as a snack sometimes.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Actually in the USA peanut butter, can legally only contain 90% peanuts and like 4-5 approved additives, salt, peanut oil, honey dextrose and not more than 55% fat

if it contains anything else it must be labeled "Spread"

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WhatWeDo/History/ProductRegulation/ucm132911.htm

is it "health food" yes, based on single or minimal additional ingredients and a lack of unrecognizable additives.

is it low calorie, no.

is it good for you , yes, mostly...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Most peanut butters I see are full of sugar, molasses, palm oil or other oil, and of course salt. I choose one that is merely peanuts and a little salt.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people are against PB...

Some peanut butter is loaded with sugar
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I eat natural peanut butter, and the ingredients are peanuts and salt. Even if it is "more expensive", it's a hell of a lot cheaper than places outside the US. When my brother was living in Switzerland, he had my parents ship him peanut butter because it was so expensive there and he could only afford horse as a meat (and apparently he wasn't a fan of horse). Even shipping the peanut butter across the planet was cheaper than buying it in Switzerland (well, I guess it was free for my brother...).
  • grandevampire
    grandevampire Posts: 242
    Options
    Ta, vampire, but I am not dissing peanuts or any other nut (healthy), but processed peanut butter.

Oh, don't worry, I know you weren't dissing peanuts, I'm just saying that if you make your own from peanuts, PB = peanuts. :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    MFP: Where peanut butter is junk food but protein bars are totally legit.

© Merc 2013
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a calorie dense food for sure! I love peanut butter off the spoon! Gotta have my fix every once in a while. I do try to avoid a lot of it. I know peanuts are exposed to a whole lot of afaltoxins (molds), and can not be sold raw without potential issues with contamination (unlike other nuts). I try to avoid fake foods (hydrogenated oils), and added sugars. I would try for organic, and all natural if possible. Most of the time I choose other nut butters.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

© Merc 2013

slide_293609_2371436_free.gif?1366743148841
  • jujunnaichi
    jujunnaichi Posts: 86
    Options
    Clarence Bass is well known for his peanut butter lunch.

"[A] guy who made his bones, so to speak, by reducing his body fat to 2.4% eating peanut butter sandwiches for lunch."

Reference: http://www.cbass.com/Peanutbutter.htm
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It is calorie dense but dang, I cut an apple in half, core each half and put a tablespoon of peanut butter on each half for a snack with some serious staying power. It's AWESOME!
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would take PB over chocolate any day...LOVE PB. I used to eat bananas and PB all the time. Became allergic to bananas so PB is now solo.
  • porter_stephany
    Options
    I like PB2. It's powdered peanut butter that has had most of the fat removed. What you're left with is low fat, low calorie (45cal/2TBS). It's delicious on it's own or in smoothies or sandwiches
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

© Merc 2013

slide_293609_2371436_free.gif?1366743148841

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-o.gif