Replies

• Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Francais est la langue la plus belle :)
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I took French---never used it. There has been more than once that I wish I had learned Spanish as it is becoming so prevalent in our society. Take something you can use. Unless you intend to move to Europe or become a Parisian you are unlikely to ever have occasion to use French.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I need french everywhere I go. I live part time in a spanish country and I use my french more. Both languages are pretty popular. Maybe because I'm canadian I think french is better to learn. Anyways,,,,,I've taken both. Spanish is easier. Stick with the french and you will pick up the spanish no problem in your spare time. :)

Spanish is not easier than French. Of course learning a second Romance language will always be easier.

http://french.about.com/cs/teachingresources/a/spanishiseasier.htm
  • SlithyNatmo
    SlithyNatmo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    (PS: I hate Rosetta Stone with a passion.)

Thank you thank you thank you. Finally someone else realizes what an overpriced piece of crap that "learning" software is.
  • mangoduck
    mangoduck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Take what you enjoy. I took French for many years and I do use it fairly regularly. I do wish I'd followed my heart and taken what I was actually interested in though.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just finished middle school? Is it safe to say...you're not 18 years old?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Take Spanish. I took French, and while I enjoyed it, I never really got to use it. So many jobs these days prefer or require Spanish speaking skills. It's a good background to have.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Spanish
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I recently graduated from middle school, and in about a week or so I will be starting high school. In middle school, I insisted on taking French because I thought it was prettier and more fun. But now that I am going into high school, I am reconsidering this decision. I have the option to switch into Spanish, but I don't know if I should.

Right now, I am in French Honors, but if I asked, I think they will let me switch into Spanish. I don't know what I should do, I love French and the teacher and many of the people in it, but I feel like I should learn Spanish!

I don't know what to do so please write what you recommend below! Thanks so much!!! (:

Middle school, high school?
  • sarahwilloughby07
    Options
    Stick with French. I've had 3 years of Spanish and only know how to pronounce the words on Mexican restaurant menus. Definitely check out Rosetta Stone, it's how my brother's friend learned even though she was in Honors she never learned much (Note: I just went to a crappy school).
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I took French and Latin at the same time in High School. Is there any way you can take both classes? Not sure where you live but in the USA you would probably benefit more with the Spanish. I dont know if you guys still have "Study Hall" in high school, but I always thought that was a big waste of time and always took an extra class every year. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    based on what you've said, and my own personal experiences:

1. you've started with french, so you have the ground work done.
    2. you say you enjoy it, so you'll be more likely to stick at it through the tough bits.
    3. you like your teacher, and a good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold.
    4. if you switch, you run the risk of not learning either language fully.

it's worth remembering that once you learn one language thoroughly, learning another languages from the same family becomes much easier, ie most european languages have many similarities. you can always move on to spanish later.
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I`m currently taking both when school starts. Spanish is very similar to French I hear, just easier. I suggest you stick with what you started with. It also depends on where you live. I live in Canada and our second language is French and Quebec is right next door to me so it would be much more useful for me. Especially job wise.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Stick with French and get off of MFP. Go to sparkteens.com; it's more appropriate.
    haha this^

My thoughts exactly.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I suggest to stick with French especially that since you enjoyed it very much & then just study Spanish later. You can always learn both languages. French & Spanish are both belong to the same language family & have some similar words in vocabulary.

I don't know if its just me since I speak Spanish but I think learning Spanish is a lot easier than French especially in word pronounciation. So if you happen to learn French then you won't be having a difficult time studying Spanish.
  • lizzyc357
    lizzyc357 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I took both French (high school) and Spanish (college) and I vote Spanish. They're similar languages but Spanish is more practical to know nowadays.
  • velasdream
    Options
    Just my two cents...think about where you live and what your future job may be. I live in California. I studied Spanish because it was a necessity. The Hispanic population outnumbers the Caucasian population, everything is labeled in English and Spanish, and you hear it spoken every time you turn around. I have never heard French spoken with the exception of meeting tourists. Here, being fluent in Spanish makes you a highly desirable employee. That said, maybe French is more common where you live. Then it would be more useful to continue in French. I also think Spanish may be easier for you to learn with your French speaking background. (But I only know Spanish and not Frenchy so I can't say for sure :-) This is just me, but it would be AWESOME to be able to say you are trilingual!! Learn as many languages as you can and as young as you can. The older you get, the harder it is to learn a new language! Best of luck in whatever you choose!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It depends on what will help you most later in life. Also location, I live in NH so french is more handy. Our immigrant population is from various African nations(some speak french) and Nepal.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Spanish. But it depends on what you would like to do etc later on in life. Plus french is pretty much french, spanish, there are different types of spanish. The spanish spoken in puerto rico is not the same as the spanish spoken in mexico. It's VERY hard to learn. I took French in high school, switched to Spanish in college as they did not offer French where I went and failed miserably at it. I wish I would have taken Spanish.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I vote for Spanish if you live in the US. So many job opportunities will be open to you and it's very attractive on a resume. Both French and Spanish are romance languages derived from Latin, so I imagine you'll find some similarities with root words.