French or Spanish...HELP!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• childofArtemis24
    Options
    I had French! And I loved it! But there are a lot of Mexicans in our town..so Some ppl around here know Spanish. I look at it this way. This is America, they foreign ppl need to learn our language. If I was to go to another country I would learn their language. If you know Spanish then there is more job opportunities . Most of my friends who graduated college don't even use their Spanish skills. So it is really up to you.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had French! And I loved it! But there are a lot of Mexicans in our town..so Some ppl around here know Spanish. I look at it this way. This is America, they foreign ppl need to learn our language. If I was to go to another country I would learn their language. If you know Spanish then there is more job opportunities . Most of my friends who graduated college don't even use their Spanish skills. So it is really up to you.

Ah, i admire the courage it takes,
    for these ppl to escape whatever horrors they were facing, to give their children a chance at a better life. Many of these ppl were facing rampant violence from a corrupt police force and drug lords, kidnapping is far more common in other countries, as well as poverty and actual starvation. Some immigrants come here to escape political oppression and traumas you can not even imagine.
    What wouldn't YOU do, to give YOUR kids a chance at a better, safer world?

Could you bravely face discrimination they way many of them do, or could you deal with those who look down their nose, cuz you have not yet mastered their language, just to help out your children?

Many to most immigrants DO learn the language,
    but, like you, probably prefer to speak in their native tongue. Especially for banking, medical advice, etc.
    Don't throw a stone til you have walked a mile in their shoes.
    It is just too easy for you to sit there, and say, "if that was me, i'd do this or that" when you have never ever walked that path, and have no idea what resources another person has, or knows about.

THIS WORLD COULD JUST USE A LIL MORE LOVE AND COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING AND TOLERANCE, imo.

If you truly think learning another language is that simple, can you truly picture yourself knowing your new language well enough to use it exclusively?
    For real, picture, you are waking up from surgery, and no one,
    not one person there,
    speaks English. And they tell you, "Ey, you moved to Austria, learn the language! You've been here a year already, what do you mean, you don't understand medical terms in your new language yet? what? "
    instead of find a translator so you know how to care for this incision.

Btw, English is notoriously hard to learn, so so much slang, so many local accents which do not match the class you took,:tongue: so many acronyms, and abbreviations, like LB for pound,
    so many ways to spell and pronounce so many words, like "way" and "weigh", for example,
    so many Americans do not speak with clear diction,
    like those who say "ahdunno" "wha?" "whatevah" "momma an dem" "fixin to go to da stowe" etc,

Many Americans don't sound like the classes that immigrants take.
    "no way" (why won't they weigh the item?)
    or even phraseology, like "running water"....."traffic backed up"......"can't stand it"...."gonna crash"....

or by listening, it can be hard to know what words here mean,
    or "havin" and "heaven" and "haven",
    or "right" and "write"
    and "wait" and "weight"
    and "they're" and "there" and "their" and the southern "thar" and New England's "theah"
    on and on and on.....

English just has so few 'rules' cuz it is a blend of so many other languages.

In USA, we are ALL decedents of immigrants. (with the possible exception of Native Americans)

also, re: //"Most of my friends who graduated college don't even use their Spanish skills. "//
    Are they actually employed? Doing what?