Kicking The Soda Habit

Options
2»

Replies

• marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Get pissed off about being controlled by an "addiction" to your problem food
    Step 2: Get disgusted with yourself for not being able to say "no" to said food
    Step 3: Say "no" every time you want it

Do 1 and 2 in whichever order you want, and do 3 consistently long enough....and it gets easier. january 1st 2012 i swore off soda, candy, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, fried food, etc for the whole year. sucked at first but its now really not that difficult. more info about that on my profile :)
  • sweetyedie
    sweetyedie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why are diet soda's bad for you? Drank diet soda for YEARS. Had leg cramps and other symptoms. After reading an article on the effects of nutrisweet and having many of the symptoms I stopped drinking diet pop. Never did see a physician but all those symptoms and pains eventually went away. I have a sister that could not lose till she cut out soda's altogether.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did it with IZZE. Its pure fruit juice and sparkling water. The juice gives you the sugary kick of soda and the sparkling water the fizzy goodness. I like the blackberry, its 90cal/8.4oz. can other flavors differ a bit.. They have apple, clementine and other flavors. Costco has a 24 pack that was $12 on sale last time I was there. :drinker:
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    when i first started kicking the soda, i was drinking flavored sparkling water, it tastes like fruit flavored soda, gets the carbonation craving out of your system, and 0 calories, carbs, sugar, etc.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just stopped buying it.

No, really, that's all I did. Then I drank more water and took some Excedrin during the first few days to get over the caffeine headaches. (Excedrin has a small bit of caffeine in it so I found it the most effective)

I also stopped drinking pretty much anything that wasn't water around the same time. I'll have the occasional iced tea or green tea and I have a soda three to four times a year (almost always a Cherry RC Cola, since it's my favorite, but I've also been known to have an Abita Root Beer instead).
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet soda.

this is the correct answer. diet mtn dew tasted horrid while I was still drinking the real stuff. now? I don't mind it much at all, though prefer the diet version of dr pepper.
  • danaweston
    Options
    Diet soda and real soda are bad for you because the Phosphoric Acid in the soda will destroy your teeth. I work in a dental office and I have seen first hand the terrible damage it can do.. It's the same stuff they clean swimming pools with.
    no joke
  • quinl1lr
    quinl1lr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all suggestions. So far I have stopped buying pop and switched to sparkling mineral water (which I add Pom or lemon juice to). I still have a hard time in the morning saying no to the Monster Absolute Zero my dad religiously buys me. I have been better this week and 2/3 times asked for just a water instead.

For all those who did this cold turkey, you're amazing and I wish I had your will power. I'll probably end up just sticking to fizzy waters with crystal light or Izzy.

To all those who drink diet soda, I will confess that I do drink low-carb and zero Monsters, but I have had 4 people in my life drink diet coke like it was an addiction and 3/4 were all obese. 2/3 did kick the habit and lost 50LB+. Correlation does not mean causation, but still those are packed with a whole heck of a lot of junk that our bodies are not actually made to process. **I'll step down from my soap box now**

Good luck to everybody on their weight loss journeys
  • coasterwiggs
    coasterwiggs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of kicking the diet soda habit. I used to drink 4 per day. For the last 2 weeks I have cut back to 2 per day. Next I will cut back to 1 per day for 2 weeks. Then I will stop. I decided that cutting back over 4 weeks would be easier on my body than quitting cold turkey. So far its working.
  • dg8388
    dg8388 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have a pop addiction and I deal with it by drinking fountain Coke or Pepsi and packing the 32oz cup with ice. Then I add whatever amount of pop fits. It waters it down quite bit, and I end up with sugar water near the end. I also have never been able to finish one off completely.

Quitting pop all together is one of my goals and since I am currently working on exercise, it will have to wait until I master that. I cannot stand sugar substitutes so switching to diet is not an option for me.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I personally just had to go cold turkey - and I tought myself to like coffee. It was rough for a couple of weeks, but the coffee helped.

For me, soda is a waste of calories and something that I can get carried away with. If one Mt. Dew a day is good, 7 must be even better! At least with coffee, I have no desire to drink it past 10am.

But, if someone can handle their soda in moderation, more power to them! To each their own.
  • dg8388
    Options
    Thanks so much for your suggestion about (Excedrin has a small bit of caffeine in it so I found it the most effective).

I get terrible headaches if I don't have my pop over the weekends.

This suggestion will help once I give it up for good.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Man that was one of the hardest things I had to do... I used to wake up cracking a mountian dew every morning... It was like my coffee.. But I haven't had soda for over a year and half or anything carbonated. It actually isn't good for the tummy, makes it expand which leaves more room for you to eat and not feel full...
  • Lindagyur
    Options
    I switched to diet sodas (maybe 1 a day; if that) and Crystal Light. You get used to it. :smile:
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Coke and Pepsi all day long for years. I quit cold turkey three years ago. It was hard but well worth it. My Dr. suggested cutting down a little at a time but I just could not do it that way. I quit on a Friday because I knew I would feel miserable and cranky over the weekend and start feeling better by Monday for work. The headaches and lack of energy was difficult over the weekend and I craved it for the longest time. I am so thankful I quit. I feel so much better now!! I just drink lots of water, some skim milk, and maybe one juice a week. Best of luck to you!
  • ktyper
    ktyper Posts: 14
    Options
    when i get sick of water i throw a crystal lite energy or a propel pack into my water!!! it gives you a little extra flavor and .... no calories!!!!
  • dg8388
    Options
    That explains my prego looking tummy. :-(
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I gotta drink diet soda due to diabetes so it lowers carbs but since I've found this site I have only had one soda due to my water intake....it makes me FULL!
  • dg8388
    Options
    That explains my prego looking tummy. :-(