Kicking The Soda Habit

Hi Everybody,

I've been doing this whole weight loss thing for a while, but I've finally decided to become serious. So one of the thing I've really tried to give up is pop (soda, coke, whatever you want to call it). I've gotten down to just drinking Low Carb Monsters and an occasional Mt Dew (yes I love my caffeine and that's on the list of things I need to cut down on, but one step at a time).

So, all in all, I'm looking to see what people suggest is the best way or how they kicked the bubbly, sugary goodness.

Thanks,
Lauren

Replies

• Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    I had been drinking coke for over 15 years. At minimum a can a day, sometimes several two liters a day. I decided last winter to just throw it out. I never bought another. I went the cold turkey route. I haven't had one since and after a couple weeks never craved/wanted one again.
  • nicheven
    nicheven Posts: 77 Member
    I switched to Ice tea that I brew at home, and gradually added less and less sugar until I can now go out and have the unsweetened tea without issue. It was hard but now I'm drinking mainly water and I will have ice tea when I go out. Lots of wasted calories and chemicals in soda, and once I looked at what I was drinking every day it was shocking. I will still have a soda now and again when I go out, but its more my treat and only maybe once every 2-3 weeks. I do promise it gets easier once you have been off it awhile. You will go through some deprivation for a little bit but then you won't crave it. Sometimes now I find myself having a sweet tea or soda and thinking to myself that it is way too sweet and the carbonation bothers my stomach, so why do i bother!?!?
  • I love fizzy drinks, I've switched to Coke Zero/Pepsi Max etc I know its still not great for my teeth or Caffeine intake, but it doesn't add to my calorie intake for the day.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    I quit cold turkey in March, and didn't let myself have any until July 4th (when I had a Mountain Dew on my birthday). It was HARD, but after a couple weeks it got a lot easier. Since having the Dew on the 4th (which wasn't as good as I used to think), I've had a few sodas - once after a bad night of sleep and needing a little caffeine spark, and once because it was a interesting flavored soda. I've found I actually can have an occasional now, if I want one for some reason, without it making me feel like I need to have more. I primarily just drink water, with an occasional lemonade.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    All you gals and guys sound like smokers trying to quit....

What helped me was crystal light and flavored water drink mixes.. not as good as plain jane water but they can be better than soda. I had a coke zero forthe first time in 6 months this past weekend and I couldn't drink it.. YUCK .. tossed it out.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Switch to diet soda.
  • emjaful
    emjaful Posts: 19
    I drank a lot of fizzy drinks. I worked out that some days I was having more than my daily amount of calories in fizzy drinks alone! I've switched to diet versions now and am slowly cutting down and just having water and occasional fruit juice.

I am actually finding it harder to stop the drinks than I did to quit smoking.

Probably says a lot right?

Good luck everyone
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Switch to diet soda.

I add NutraSweet or Equal to mine. make it better and sweeter.

Edit...I add real sugar if I have room in my calories.
  • Diet sodas are BAD for you. You should stay of away from chemicals in general. I would suggest cold turkey. Your body is going to go through the sugar and/or caffeine withdrawals regardless of how you do it. But the quicker you can get it out of your system the easier you'll be able to get over the craving. Good luck. It's probably as hard as cigarettes to break.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Diet sodas are BAD for you. You should stay of away from chemicals in general. I would suggest cold turkey. Your body is going to go through the sugar and/or caffeine withdrawals regardless of how you do it. But the quicker you can get it out of your system the easier you'll be able to get over the craving. Good luck. It's probably as hard as cigarettes to break.

If you stay away from chemicals won't you die of dehydration?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Diet sodas are BAD for you.

Now tell me why.
    Additionally, tell me what dosage of diet soda is bad for you, so that we're not just making up stories.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    I like to add sugar to my diet soda. Or high fructose corn syrup. YUM!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Love my Cherry Coke Zero! :drinker:
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    I quit cold turkey about a year and a half ago.. and I haven't looked back! I can't drink anything with fizz now, it makes me feel disgusting. The thought of soda turns me off. I found it easy to quit.. and I used to drink about 2-3 cans a day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Cherry coke zero, Vanilla Coke Zero, Diet vanilla cherry Dr. Pepper, Red Bull Zero.... wait... what was i supposed to suggest? *drool*
  • Cliffslosinit

She is a copy-cat. I'm older and been doing it longer. Oh and I put peanuts in my Coca-Cola...BAM!!!
  • adnol_2
    adnol_2 Posts: 35 Member
    I used to drink at least a 2 liter bottle of diet coke a day, if not more. I am now down to a 12 oz bottle. I now drink carbonated water. I think it was the carbonation that I craved not the soda.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member

She is a copy-cat. I'm older and been doing it longer. Oh and I put peanuts in my Coca-Cola...BAM!!!

I DRINK MY DR. PEPPER HOT AND ONLY FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES .......BAM!!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member

Losers. I drink corn syrup straight from the bottle. Dr. Oz said it was better than all that sugar free junk.
    As long as I get my raspberry ketones, I won't gain a pound.
  • Cliffslosinit

Losers. I drink corn syrup straight from the bottle. Dr. Oz said it was better than all that sugar free junk.
    As long as I get my raspberry ketones, I won't gain a pound.

Light or dark corn syrup? Oh and Dr. Oz like my peanuts...just sayin'
    I send out Raspberry Ketones as Christmas gifts.