I would love to eat salsa and tortilla chips

Options
angeltg
angeltg Posts: 97 Member
With what do you guys substitute the chips with. I've been thinking about the Special k chips.

Replies

• _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I don't substitute. Tortilla chips are yummy.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I buy the blue tortilla chips with flax from Target and eat the 14 chips (counted out) on a plate with a bunch of salsa. But, lately I eat salsa with my eggs, so it kinda took away the cravings.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ that.
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat ones, they're yummy and even taste better IMHO
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use cracker chips of veggie chips. Not because of calories, but because I want to slam some chips and salsa and don't have tortilla chips around. It's not bad, quite frankly.

That said, I'm pro-tortilla chip. Just eat an appropriate serving size for your calorie allotment!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to eat chips?
    Is it the fat? Then buy the baked ones
    The carbs? Buy low carb tortillas and make your own

The Special K chips are good with salsa as well, but chips really aren't that evil, in moderation.
  • estjames
    estjames Posts: 76
    Options
    I sometimes make some when my tortillas are starting to dry out. I use La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious 100 Calorie Tortillas because they are full size burrito shells. Just cut into portions like chips, coat pan with cooking spray, add tortilla, spray tops of chips, bake at 350 for 5 min or so.

(FYI on this brand of tortillas-they are only good when they are stored at room temperature. If you refrigerate or freeze them they can get dry-they are still usage for chips or pizza crusts but the folding ability is lost.)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

Exactly! I loves me some chips and salsa.

Though the baked ones aren't half bad.

Another idea to replace the crunch is a good-quality romaine lettuce. One of my favorite dinners is my wife's "taco salad".

1 big heaping plate of lettuce
    2 good scoops of spiced-up Morningstar Veggie Crumbles, cooked with a little corn and some black beans.
    A couple of tablespoons of yogurt
    A couple of tablespoons of salsa

Now, mind you, that doesn't eliminate the chips, because when I'm done with the plate, I take some extra veggie crumbles, yogurt, and salsa, mix them up, and eat them with a serving of full-on deep-fried yummy tortilla chips. But starting out with the lettuce gets me started with a good crunch and makes it so I can make do with one serving of chips.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    With what do you guys substitute the chips with. I've been thinking about the Special k chips.

Nothing. I just eat tortilla chips and salsa.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Same why substitute just dont gorge yourself

i just had some for lunch om nom nom
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options

this! all things in moderation. stick to your macro's and you will be just fine :)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    one of two methods:

A: put actual chips in a bowl. then put the bag away.. that way i will ONLY eat the chips in the bowl, and not the whole bag. (bonus: you can weigh the amount in the bowl for MFP)

or

B: bake tortilla wraps and cut into chips.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I eat wasa crackers with salsa all the time. Its no tortilla chip though.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Black bean and corn salsa. Regular chips measured with a scale. No subsitutes!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I dont, I just figure them into my meal plan for the day.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    When I'm REALLY low on available calories, I'll eat chunky salsa on ribs of romaine lettuce. The lettuce gives you some crunch, and you get the flavor and the kick from the salsa.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just have a serving of what you want, you will be alright.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Take out a proper serving and put the rest away if you are going to eat that starchy and processed junk food. Home made salsa (or a salsa with very few ingredients and none of them stuff you can't grow yourself) is awesome to have in scrambled eggs if you want a spice kick. IMO, if you are craving carbs (hence the chips) then you'd be better off having a banana.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If I want tortilla chips that is what I eat...now I do sometimes eat salsa with my veggies (carrots, cucumber slices, celery sticks) but it is becasue I want veggies and I dont want to drench them in ranch....but if I want chips and dip that is what I eat...portion control is the kep////