Is Cheese that bad for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    i was on a low sodium diet in high school due to medication i was on i still ate cheese with no problems
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not that bad for you because I'm eating a ton of it to replace the calories I used to get from carbs. I should probably cut back but it's an easy, delicious way to add calories and fat to dinner.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There are some foods like cheese that come within a catagory of nice to eat but you may want to avoid if you are FOCUSED on reaching a goal. There are other things that can bring you your calcium, good fats, etc and not be as costly to you.

I compare it to having a CD player in an official race car. You will never see it. When you look inside a Nascar or Indy or FormulaOne race car you will see everything stripped down to the essentials. The only things there are for safety and winning the race. Foods like cheese like a CD player in the racecar then become debatable when you are very focused about what goes on your plate. Not everyone will take things to this level and that's OK. Conversely, we all have our things we really like to eat or drink. If we are strict about everything else then we can easily slip them into our diet as long as we control it. For some it may be beer, for others cheese, for others Dilly bars. This can be a good thing to help avoid binges and burnout.

ETA: this thread could have the following substitutes and you would have the exact same responses from the MFP family; milk, sugar, alcohol, donuts, muffins, tobacco, tub of lard- whatever. If you want to build your fitness program around cheese and its that important to you then you surely can do it.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well I'm allergic to casien so I eat Daiya cheese. It's definitely not evil!
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. I eat it everyday, and I dont plan on stopping. I agree with a previous poster.. "If it's bad, I dont want to be good". LOL
    It hasnt affected my weight loss. Oh, and I know when too much cheese..is too much cheese and I avoid it. It's all about portion control.
  • chrissayya
    Options
    I LOVE cheese and the thought of giving it up? No no and no..I'd be so sad! I just use portion control & it hasn't seemed to derail anything :)
  • eileent01
    Options
    I will never give up cheese if your cholesterol is not high you shouldn't have to. I have so many friends who do lo-fat no cheese or skim milk and are on high doses of calcium doesn't make sense.
  • JersryGirl31
    Options
    Enjoy what you love! Just don't overdo it. Real cheeseisn't bad unless you are lactose intolerant, but you still need to eat it in moderation. When I was on Weight Watchers in 1970 (I know, a verrry long time ago), I remember we were only allowed to eat hard cheeses. If it says processed or cheese food, forget it. Eat the real thing....provolone, Swiss, Parmesan, Romano and cheddar. NO,nos were American, Velveeta, and spray cheese I'm not sure about feta and blue cheese Cottage cheese and Ricotta were also good. I still think low fat mozzarella is good for you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The "Cheese is made from milk and is therefore good for you" line of thinking assumes that milk is good for you.

This may be true for toddlers but I'm not sure about adults.

Each to their own but I eat less cheese (and no milk) these days.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love cheese, especially provolone! I don't plan on giving it up, as it hasn't seemed to be an issue.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I stick mostly to Cottage Cheese, Feta, Philadelphia light(too processed, I know) and my Quark (which I have as a sort of stevia sweetened peanut flour dessert each evening), but also sometimes like some Blue Cheese, Stilton, Fruited Wensleydale or Goat's Cheese. I have never had any issues controlling portions (other than with the sweeter Wensleydales), but am slightly lactose intolerant I believe, which I am just ignoring for the time being.
  • KitCatsMeow
    KitCatsMeow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dairy in any form is bad (general health not weight loss specific) IMO. There is a reason why so many people are lactose intolerant!