Is Cheese that bad for you?

Options

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Wisconsin so I LOVE cheese and won't give it up completely. But, I won't buy the crap that they sell in the grocery store either. I actually go to a cheese shop (when I go back to WI to visit family) and try the cheese and ask for the nutrient values of them. I have found some great, naturally low fat cheese (some are high on sodium) that I use. Now that I don't live there anymore, I just have them ship the cheese to me and I freeze it in smaller chunks.

Oh..My.. GOD! There is a CHEESE SHOP!!!!! Oh.. My... GOD!!!!! That must be where God lives!!!!!!!! What could be more awesome than a cheese shop?! I feel like I must now make a pilgrimage to Wisconsin in search of the sacred cheese shop!
  • ali_kat4
    ali_kat4 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I still eat cheese (one of those things I don't think I could ever give up)... but I try to eat old cheddar. It's easier for your body to digest since the enzymes in it are more broken down (And I'm pretty sure there's no lactose in aged cheddar). I probably don't eat as much since once I started paying attention to calories. But in my opinion... not all calories are bad. It's about balance. And since you're eating it on an omelette at breakfast time, you have all day to burn it off !!!!!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat dairy. Super strong link to prostate cancer.

BTW: I love the taste of cheese, but I love peeing and ejaculating properly even more.

:laugh: ^^This
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Cheese and bread are the devil.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Cheese is amazing, and does have healthy fat. You just have to watch your dairy, and eat in moderation. If I have milk and yogurt in one day, I'll skip the cheese on my salad. But other days when I know I won't have dairy otherwise, I will enjoy a serving or two of cheese. I gave it up a few years ago when I was trying an extremely low-fat approach to dieting, and I suffered. I gave up almost all sources of dairy fat, I felt weak, had sore joints, brittle nails, hair was dry. When I started incorporating fats back in to my diet (including cheese!) all of that stuff went away.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3 oz of whole fat cheese pretty much every day and my average sodium intake (assuming I don't eat restaurant food that day) is below 1,000 mg.

And I have low BP.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Cheese and bread are the devil.

Not for everyone!!!! To each his own!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    If cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right! :heart:
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I used to eat 4 times what I eat now and my bones used to stick out because I was so skinny. Now I look at food and sprout a double chin. So al though I still eat cheese, I eat very little of it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this out in my head. When I was a kid, I remember being taught in school that cheese was made from milk and good for you. Fast forward a couple decades and it sounds/feels like we have a sodium epidemic that's so bad that children are being put on blood pressure lowering medications. And Cheese is now evil.

Now that you're on MFP, is this something you've cut back on? If not, what healthy cheeses are you using in your food?

My omelets have suffered from lack of cheddar. I can use some suggestions.

Yeah....cause it was the sodium in the cheese that caused the problems. Couldn't have been the chips, crackers, and fast food :huh:

Seriously though, it's cheese. It's high calorie yes, so don't eat a ton of it. But it has calcium and protein and it tastes pretty darn good. I'm definitely not giving it up.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this out in my head. When I was a kid, I remember being taught in school that cheese was made from milk and good for you. Fast forward a couple decades and it sounds/feels like we have a sodium epidemic that's so bad that children are being put on blood pressure lowering medications. And Cheese is now evil.

Now that you're on MFP, is this something you've cut back on? If not, what healthy cheeses are you using in your food?

My omelets have suffered from lack of cheddar. I can use some suggestions.

I don't think its bad, just bad if you over do it (which I do quite a bit LOL). Its a nutrient/calorie dense food so that has to be kept in mind when eating it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    not when it's in my mouth.

I've taken to shredding my cheese, I find that if I shred it I require about half the serving I did before.
  • Carolyn1012
    Carolyn1012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love string cheese! Low calorie, some nice protein, and absolutely a great snack with 100 calories of pretzels on the side and a big glass of water.
  • shannongander
    shannongander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I am also a cheese lover and would eat crazy amounts without considering the fat. I now enjoy cheese in controlled portions - ie: grated cheddar in dishes - a little goes a long way, a very thin slice on an open faced sandwich etc...some diced feta in my omlette.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    As long as you are not lactose-intolerant, I think cheese is good for you. It's high in protein and calcium. However, just as with everything else, moderation is required. It is high in fat. If you eat a lot of cheese one day, then you probably should give something else up that day in order to balance it out.

I love cheese but I don't eat a great deal of it now. I get my calcium by having skim milk on my cereal every morning now. However, occasionally I treat myself to some real cheese, and it seems even better than before! :)
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut back on cheese whatsoever, I think it's fine as long as you balance it out with veggies and stuff. Everything in moderation!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I personally don't really eat cheese. It's super high cal and is a super easy to cut calories from most meals..salads/sandwiches etc. But if you love it, fit it in!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I'm sure cheese in moderation is OK, I've just never figured out how to do "moderation" when it comes to cheese. So for right now I'm not eating any.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Cheese is not bad for you. It's made from milk, which provides protein, carbs, and fat, ALL of which are good for you (unless you have a dairy allergy). The only time cheese is bad for you is when you eat too much of it, and that's not the cheese's fault, it would be your fault (general you).
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have cheese everyday and I have been able to lose 42 pounds, so I don't think it's necessarily "evil"... portion control is the worlds main problem...