frustrated, confused, and ready to quit. HALP!!

Options
124»

Replies

• squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I hear there isn't a substitute for cake either..

You have to ask your self if Chicken skin is worth more to you than your real goal ...

Is it ?

oh, there is. there's cake flavored vodka! that plus low cal strawberry lemonade tastes just as good a huge piece of strawberry cheesecake ... but that's neither here nor there.

my entire life, i've just thought about "now" and not the future. i am trying to think more about the future than what i want at any given moment. hopefully that will help me make better choices.
  • squigglypuff
    Options
    Switch up your routine too. I SWEAR by free weights and old school conditioning... push ups, sit ups, raised planks... if you can do 30 reps- its too easy. Good luck and go by inches, not lbs.

I agree, if you can do 30 reps, it is way too easy. Increase the weight so you have to work to get to a maximum of 12 reps. If you can do 12 at a weight, increase the weight so you can't do 12 reps any longer. I would actually suggest doing a range of 5-8 reps personally with a weight that keeps you there. Also ditch isolation exercises, that is, those exercises that only work on muscle which are usually ones that only have one joint moving. Do things like squats, overhead presses, rows, deadlifts, bench presses. You will get much more effect from them. Also, after a warm-up, do you weights first, then your cardio, assuming you do both in the same session. I personally like the Turbulence Training approach.

As for diet, if you maintain a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Your Protein, Carb, Fat amounts have more to do with body recomposition. Ideally you want to do both. I am not going to say what you are eating is the problem, although unless you are measuring your servings carefully, you cannot trust others who process food to do so. This, along with the better nutritional quality, are the primary reasons for eating food you prepare yourself from scratch. Not to mention you will find them much more satisfying.

Finally, the weigh gain over the past week, assuming you maintained a calorie deficit for the week, was likely water weight. Again, this is assuming a calorie deficit was maintained which depends on how carefully you are measuring and logging your food. Take your measurements as well (chest, waist, hips) as they tell you much more than weight will.

THIS is why i'm confused. some people are telling me to increase the weight/intensity and decrease the reps, other people are telling me the opposite. i get the same information when i look online. i try to do compound movements when i exercise -- i'm not just standing there working one arm at a time -- i'm squatting while doing curls, etc. i always do weights before cardio also, i feel like i get a better workout that way because after i do cardio, i don't want to do anything besides eat, sleep, and shower (i wish i could do all three at once, haha).

my weight, waist, and belly measurements have all gone UP since joining the gym. my arm and leg measurements have remained the same. my butt has gotten a lot nicer from all the squats and lunges, but otherwise i haven't seen any change.
  • squigglypuff
    Options
    Try working mailnly large muscle groups on the machines right now, and amp up your cardio daily. Also make sure your eating the right foods, are you stressed? Being that your laid off probably a silly question. Stress does a number on me especially my mid section? I feel for you and the last 10 lbs is hell! I have been trying for 8 mos to get the last 10 off! Good luck! You can do this!

yes, very stressed and being home all day is the worst because i'm an emotional eater, and i eat when i'm bored. it took me 6 months to lose 30 pounds, and since then i've just been putting weight back on and i haven't really changed my habits that much. so confusing.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options

You have to ask your self if Chicken skin is worth more to you than your real goal ...

Is it ?

oh, there is. there's cake flavored vodka! that plus low cal strawberry lemonade tastes just as good a huge piece of strawberry cheesecake ... but that's neither here nor there.

my entire life, i've just thought about "now" and not the future. i am trying to think more about the future than what i want at any given moment. hopefully that will help me make better choices.

I don't drink ......

Look at it this way .. When you are fit and healthy.... You can live more life in 1 day than you could if you were fat and lazy. Noting wrong with living in the now.. Actually getting fit is about 1 day at a time.. some people have a longer road than others but they get discouraged when they look at how far they have to go.. one day at a time..

Seems like you gained a lot of knowledge this morning.. If you are smart and apply these things, you will not be making a post like this ever again.
  • squigglypuff
    Options

Is it ?

I don't drink ......

Look at it this way .. When you are fit and healthy.... You can live more life in 1 day than you could if you were fat and lazy. Noting wrong with living in the now.. Actually getting fit is about 1 day at a time.. some people have a longer road than others but they get discouraged when they look at how far they have to go.. one day at a time..

Seems like you gained a lot of knowledge this morning.. If you are smart and apply these things, you will not be making a post like this ever again.

i did get a lot of useful information regarding my eating habits, but i am still at a total loss when it comes to exercise because everyone says something different. i guess it's because different things work for different people, and that makes perfect sense to me. i just need to find what "works" for me, and i honestly think that it was just light walking. that's how i lost the weight before, and i think adding in strength training and "harder" cardio like running has just thrown everything off. i truly feel like i lost more weight when i wasn't working as hard as i am now, and i feel like it's leading to very very VERY negative thinking. i really do appreciate your help. i know a lot of people come on here to whine and fish for compliments, and that's not at all what i wanted to do with this post.

thanks again, i really mean it.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options

i did get a lot of useful information regarding my eating habits, but i am still at a total loss when it comes to exercise because everyone says something different. i guess it's because different things work for different people, and that makes perfect sense to me. i just need to find what "works" for me, and i honestly think that it was just light walking. that's how i lost the weight before, and i think adding in strength training and "harder" cardio like running has just thrown everything off. i truly feel like i lost more weight when i wasn't working as hard as i am now, and i feel like it's leading to very very VERY negative thinking. i really do appreciate your help. i know a lot of people come on here to whine and fish for compliments, and that's not at all what i wanted to do with this post.

There are a 1000 different ways to exercise.. The bottom line is they all get the heart pumping faster and causing you to burn fat. Hence you get leaner and meaner...

Just like all things.. you body will get used to that and you have to over come it... Walking is great, but do less walking and more running .. Try a running program like couch to 5k ( google it ) Check out the various workout videos that are out there..

You'll find your niche... You just have to remember when you stop seeing results, may be time to change things up a little.
  • squigglypuff
    Options

There are a 1000 different ways to exercise.. The bottom line is they all get the heart pumping faster and causing you to burn fat. Hence you get leaner and meaner...

Just like all things.. you body will get used to that and you have to over come it... Walking is great, but do less walking and more running .. Try a running program like couch to 5k ( google it ) Check out the various workout videos that are out there..

You'll find your niche... You just have to remember when you stop seeing results, may be time to change things up a little.

i'm actually on week 3 of couch to 5k and i am loving it so far! i used to run distance track when i was in high school, and i always felt so good after a nice run. i am hoping to get back to that again, but ten years of drinking and drugging have slowed me down. i am trying to clean up *every* aspect of my life now.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Switch up your routine too. I SWEAR by free weights and old school conditioning... push ups, sit ups, raised planks... if you can do 30 reps- its too easy. Good luck and go by inches, not lbs.

I agree, if you can do 30 reps, it is way too easy. Increase the weight so you have to work to get to a maximum of 12 reps. If you can do 12 at a weight, increase the weight so you can't do 12 reps any longer. I would actually suggest doing a range of 5-8 reps personally with a weight that keeps you there. Also ditch isolation exercises, that is, those exercises that only work on muscle which are usually ones that only have one joint moving. Do things like squats, overhead presses, rows, deadlifts, bench presses. You will get much more effect from them. Also, after a warm-up, do you weights first, then your cardio, assuming you do both in the same session. I personally like the Turbulence Training approach.

As for diet, if you maintain a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Your Protein, Carb, Fat amounts have more to do with body recomposition. Ideally you want to do both. I am not going to say what you are eating is the problem, although unless you are measuring your servings carefully, you cannot trust others who process food to do so. This, along with the better nutritional quality, are the primary reasons for eating food you prepare yourself from scratch. Not to mention you will find them much more satisfying.

Finally, the weigh gain over the past week, assuming you maintained a calorie deficit for the week, was likely water weight. Again, this is assuming a calorie deficit was maintained which depends on how carefully you are measuring and logging your food. Take your measurements as well (chest, waist, hips) as they tell you much more than weight will.

THIS is why i'm confused. some people are telling me to increase the weight/intensity and decrease the reps, other people are telling me the opposite. i get the same information when i look online. i try to do compound movements when i exercise -- i'm not just standing there working one arm at a time -- i'm squatting while doing curls, etc.

Using both arms in a bicep curl is not a compound exercise. It only works your bicep. By two joints I mean something like the squat where both your hip and knee joints are moving, unlike a bicep curl where only your elbow is involved.

As to the low weight high reps, the problem is this ungrounded fear that a woman will bulk up using heavy weights. All that low weight high repetition workout does is increase your endurance, not your strength or even result in significant muscle retention. Lower reps with higher weight will preserve your muscle mass, and make you stronger. You may find this motivating to lift heavier weights at lower reps http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow shortie! I'm 5'0" myself. A couple of things:

-I know you said you can't afford a HRM now and I get that, however please do not go on MFP calories burned! I was doing that and then I got a HRM and was just shocked at how different the numbers were. For example it told me an hour of Zumba was like 600 calories when in reality I was only burning about 250! If you are eating back your exercise calories this is seriously going to screw you. If you can't get the HRM at least subtract a good portion of those calories off if you are going to eat them back. Also for the record, I ate back my calories when I was doing the 1200 thing and I lost 25 lbs in 6 months. I'm tweaking my calories now and trying to eat a bit more, but the verdict is still out on that one for me personally.

-You will NOT get bulking from lifting heavy weights. I'd advise you to read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. This book was really helpful for me. I was only able to shoulder press 5 lbs when I wasn't doing the program and now I am up to almost 20 lbs (in each hand) and my arms are looking nice and toned. Also doing squats and such is great for your legs!

-I also agree with what others said about your diet. Less processed foods, more veggies and protein.

-Feel free to friend me if you'd like another shortie friend! :)

Good luck!!!
  • squigglypuff
    Options

THIS is why i'm confused. some people are telling me to increase the weight/intensity and decrease the reps, other people are telling me the opposite. i get the same information when i look online. i try to do compound movements when i exercise -- i'm not just standing there working one arm at a time -- i'm squatting while doing curls, etc.

Using both arms in a bicep curl is not a compound exercise. It only works your bicep. By two joints I mean something like the squat where both your hip and knee joints are moving, unlike a bicep curl where only your elbow is involved.

As to the low weight high reps, the problem is this ungrounded fear that a woman will bulk up using heavy weights. All that low weight high repetition workout does is increase your endurance, not your strength or even result in significant muscle retention. Lower reps with higher weight will preserve your muscle mass, and make you stronger. You may find this motivating to lift heavier weights at lower reps http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

ooh, staci's story is inspiring. thanks!
  • squigglypuff
    Options
    Hi fellow shortie! I'm 5'0" myself. A couple of things:

-I know you said you can't afford a HRM now and I get that, however please do not go on MFP calories burned! I was doing that and then I got a HRM and was just shocked at how different the numbers were. For example it told me an hour of Zumba was like 600 calories when in reality I was only burning about 250! If you are eating back your exercise calories this is seriously going to screw you. If you can't get the HRM at least subtract a good portion of those calories off if you are going to eat them back. Also for the record, I ate back my calories when I was doing the 1200 thing and I lost 25 lbs in 6 months. I'm tweaking my calories now and trying to eat a bit more, but the verdict is still out on that one for me personally.

-You will NOT get bulking from lifting heavy weights. I'd advise you to read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. This book was really helpful for me. I was only able to shoulder press 5 lbs when I wasn't doing the program and now I am up to almost 20 lbs (in each hand) and my arms are looking nice and toned. Also doing squats and such is great for your legs!

-I also agree with what others said about your diet. Less processed foods, more veggies and protein.

-Feel free to friend me if you'd like another shortie friend! :)

Good luck!!!

i'm definitely going to stop eating back all those calories. MFP says i burn something like 80-100 calories from 30 minutes of walking/jogging, but the treadmill at the gym tells me something ridiculous like 250-300 calories. i'm going to assume that i burn half of whatever MFP says, and i'm going to ignore the gym equipment's measurements completely. i think the machine thinks i'm average height because it only asks for weight and age.

if i could, i would do squats all day, every day. i love the burn that i feel in my butt and thighs. i've always had "thick" or "stumpy" thighs and i've accepted that i will probably never have those stick legs that models have, so i really try to work my legs a lot at the gym. if i'm going to have "big" thighs, i'd rather them be big and muscley than big and flabby. really the only progress i've seen since joining the gym is in my legs and butt. i feel as though my butt sticks out like a shelf from my legs. i like it, and my boyfriend likes it too ;)

i'm going to add you as a friend. i think 95% of my friends on here are short women and i love to see what everyone else is doing, and what works for them. thanks for the support!
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I could be reading too far into your post, but it sounded like you do the same routine every time you go to the gym. Try switching it up and adding more intensity to your exercises.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Anytime! :)

My legs are "big" but now they feel like rocks rather than all squishy like haha! I do hate the "stumpy" look of being so short but there's nothing I can do about it other than rock some high heels and take care of my body!
  • squigglypuff
    Options
    Anytime! :)

My legs are "big" but now they feel like rocks rather than all squishy like haha! I do hate the "stumpy" look of being so short but there's nothing I can do about it other than rock some high heels and take care of my body!

yeah ... if i could gain height, i wouldn't need to lose weight. womp womp!
  • Tay617
    Tay617 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why i keep my diary provate ppl see one iced coffee, one french fry and attack your whole lifestyle on here .. smh if you are watching your calories and woring out, also eat in moderation you should be ok , drink lots of water, maybe you need a whole new work out plan to get out of a plateau, Good luck I feel you I get frustrated as well
  • squigglypuff
    Options
    This is exactly why i keep my diary provate ppl see one iced coffee, one french fry and attack your whole lifestyle on here .. smh if you are watching your calories and woring out, also eat in moderation you should be ok , drink lots of water, maybe you need a whole new work out plan to get out of a plateau, Good luck I feel you I get frustrated as well

yeah, i had some pizza and an iced coffee, i must be some fat slovenly idiot! i must be a total dumbass that doesn't know that eating mcdonald's is bad! i snack here and there, because if i tried to avoid "bad" food entirely, i'd go bonkers and wind up eating the entire pizza -- and i'm SURE that i'm not the only person that feels this way!

in the first sentence of my post, i wrote that i've only been at this whole weight loss thing for a little over a year. this is my FIRST serious attempt at losing weight -- not like some people who are on their umpteenth try and are wondering why it's not working. i'm making mistakes, i'm learning, just like anyone else.

thankfully i was not an overweight child (i was actually extremely underweight until puberty, and then i was average weight up until college). this is NOT a problem that i've been struggling with my entire life, so obviously i don't know how to deal with losing weight if i've never had to do it before. it's all extremely new to me, so i may be naive to a lot of aspects regarding fitness and lifestyle, but yes, i do know that mcdonald's is bad -- that's why they only saw one small freaking smoothie in my diary, not a big mac, fries, onion rings, and all other sorts of garbage.

the funny thing is, i tried a new work out plan to get me out of my plateau (i was stuck at 115lbs or so for a while) and the new work out plan pushed me up to 122lbs because the exercise increased my appetite.

i think the most pertinent thing that i've gathered since making this post is that some people have really poor reading comprehension skills. they find one or two bits of information and base their entire response on that while ignoring everything else.