MFP 8 week cutting challenge

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think you guys should start a cutting challenge group (maybe even a bulking one this winter?). Each entrant can have their own thread in the group, they can use it like a training journal too if they would like.

Bodybuilding.com did this a few times for the summer challenges and it was a big hit. Each contestant had their own thread/journal and it was really motivating to see progress and read about how others were doing.

Then, when the competition is done, you could post links in the main forums so people can see it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I like the group idea :)
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    Is this a group or forum post? I'm considering it but can't get pics till Wednesday night.
    Never actually done a 'cut' before although obviously I've spent more than a few years on the slow & steady bulk.
    I may be suffering a bit of bro science here but cutting the cals is what you mean but cut yeah? If I do that will I mess my metabolism? Im asking serious questions there

Ok, I am new to lifting Bulking/Cutting... I have been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 and eating maintain or a little higher for about 12 weeks. Does cutting just mean dropping calories or do you change your workout up? I don't think I could continue to increase my lifting weights and drop my calories at the same time.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Is this a group or forum post? I'm considering it but can't get pics till Wednesday night.
    Never actually done a 'cut' before although obviously I've spent more than a few years on the slow & steady bulk.
    I may be suffering a bit of bro science here but cutting the cals is what you mean but cut yeah? If I do that will I mess my metabolism? Im asking serious questions there

Ok, I am new to lifting Bulking/Cutting... I have been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 and eating maintain or a little higher for about 12 weeks. Does cutting just mean dropping calories or do you change your workout up? I don't think I could continue to increase my lifting weights and drop my calories at the same time.

If I were you, I would decrease calories and keep your lifting program the same. Depending on how advanced you are, I would expect you will still make strength gains during your cut, they just won't increase at the same rate since you're running on lower calories and it's likely that the strength gains are coming from rate coding instead of actual LBM increases. (Neural adaptions)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options

If I were you, I would decrease calories and keep your lifting program the same. Depending on how advanced you are, I would expect you will still make strength gains during your cut, they just won't increase at the same rate since you're running on lower calories and it's likely that the strength gains are coming from rate coding instead of actual LBM increases. (Neural adaptions)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html

ok, thanks! I will have to read through that link you posted because you lost me on some of that stuff.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

ok, thanks! I will have to read through that link you posted because you lost me on some of that stuff.

Generally speaking I would read ALL KINDS of stuff on that website, as Lyle has amazing information. That particular article just references rate coding so I linked it in case you want to read about it. It's nothing that will change (or should change) your training but it's good nerdy info to read about :)

As far as calorie reduction, I'd aim for about 20% below TDEE as a good base-value for cutting. Could also take a week at maintenance first to adjust.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    MdUsx.gif

Mq2vS.jpg

VqTle.jpg

Weight 80 kilos

Body fat - no idea

Goal - Dem visible abs

Training routine - DC training

Cardio will be done as per lyle mcdonald, fasted or semi fasted with 200 mg caffeine pre workout.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    thanks for the info, it will give me something to read at work... I mean in my free time :smile: I'm still new to a lot of this so any info helps.

my before pic (about 2 weeks ago)

17449093_6008.jpg

BF% approx - 20-22%
    aiming for 16-18%
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    my embarrassing before photos
    zero2hero2013-albums-2012-picture92562-2012-08-24-13-05-05.jpg
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options

Weight 80 kilos

Body fat - no idea

Goal - Dem visible abs

Training routine - DC training

Cardio will be done as per lyle mcdonald, fasted or semi fasted with 200 mg caffeine pre workout.

We're the same weight! challenge accepted!

Group created, having a open groups cool, means we can start/finish whenever you want.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8015-8-week-cutting-challenge
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Week 0
    plop20120824212736.jpg
    img2885sq.jpg
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Debating.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    oink oink
    robot_pig.png
  • moosejuice16
    Options
    Moose, compete for most defined animal class with me and Yak. You know yyou want to! any other animals welcome.

I will do. Just not yet. ;)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Just added a weightloss tag to the group as some people have been a bit confused about cutting. Please join us, all levels welcome, if you're looking to lose some weight there will be some good banter and nutritional/training tips in this group!

Moose, now we have a group you can start your cut whenever!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8015-8-week-cutting-weightloss-challenge
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Time is running out! Only another week or so?
    Show me what you've become!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I've got 11 days left and I think I was one of the first starters.

Have said that everyone that finishes in the month will go in that month's comp as it is an ongoing thing and people can join whenever they want.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    i stopped after only 5-6 weeks, il take a better picture at the weekend, this is from my phone at the gym this monring

zero2hero2013-albums-3-weeks-into-building-picture96404-picsart-1349337391798.JPG
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Anymore takers? Last call...let's say be Halloween so anyone else can pig out!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    well, personally, I'd like to see more pictures....... :love: