Lance Friggin Armstrong

Options

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I read about this earlier today. Perhaps I am naive or I have a soft spot for Lance? But, I want someone to prove something. All I have ever heard on this has been innuendo at best. As an American winning the Tour De France I am certain that the Europeans did absolutely every thing they could to find a smoking gun on him and found nothing provable. In addition he has already been cleared by the US Congressional committee investigation. This sounds like Floyd Landis trying to sell out his past team mates to take the pressure off of his conviction and the USADA jumping on the band wagon to get a high profile win.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was doping or at least doing something not exactly up-and-up ethical and was successful in not getting caught. But if the USADA had any solid evidence against him, they would have cleared this up years and years ago. But that didn't happen, did it? I think that it's a witch hunt.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How can the USADA strip a guy of titles he won in a privately run race in Europe? I didn't realise they were that powerful ;)
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find it very sad whenever anyone is a successful athlete or really excels and people are so quick to say, they are doping - when did so many people stop believing that with hard work we can achieve great things? Now, I don't know all the facts in the Armstrong case but after it has gone on for this long and they still have not been able to prove anything why do they continue to accuse him? Stop trying to make an example of him at this point and let him be, again, I don't know all the details this is just how I feel about it all...
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I think it's dispicable that a US agency can take away his monumental 7 titles on the basis of accusation.

^this
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I can understand why he would step away, if all of the testing he has been though didn't prove his innocence, what could he ever say or do that would. To me he would just spend endless dollars for something that can never be proved.
    This. I think he made the right choice. If he had continued to fight these cases and win competitions, there would only be more ridicule and more allegations of doping.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I listened to a lot of stuff about this during the airing of the Tour, and I finally decided that it was more likely than not that he was guilty.

No, there was never going to be hard evidence to prove that he was, but there's too much doubt at this point to hold on to the hope that he's innocent. There are witnesses who have nothing to gain. There are explanations as to how the testing was circumvented. What really would be gained by bringing him down now, so long after the fact? Wouldn't an innocent person continue to fight?

No hard core proof, and a heck of a lot of doubt.
    ~shrugs~
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    The general hurrah in American sports today:
    "Do your best, strive for the stars, kids! Become that guy who gets questioned about doping because you are kickin everyone else's *kitten*! Then, and ONLY then, have you achieved greatness!"
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Everything that I have ever heard, seen, or read about Lance Armstrong indicates that he is a good guy, and just absolutely passionate about his foundation. I do not believe for a second that he would have put that all at risk by doping. The USADA doesn't have a leg to stand on, except that is is improbable that someone could have won that many times. I'm glad he is giving up on the legal fight. He knows in his heart what is important and right, and he can get on with his life. His fans are going to support him with or without a title.

If his titles get stripped, I wonder how far down the line they will have to go to find someone who has not been convicted of doping. The last runner up might get the title.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    How can the USADA strip a guy of titles he won in a privately run race in Europe? I didn't realise they were that powerful ;)

From what SportsCenter said this morning, the governing body in France can, and has stated they will, appeal the decision to strip him. Also, the World DA can appeal his ban as well. Both organizations are higher up the ladder and in the case of the French body, they have said that they see no evidence from the USADA to warrant this decision. Like I said that's just the way I heard it this morning though.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

EXACTLY. Read Lance's full statement, it'll make you totally disgusted with the USADA.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    he is the most tested athlete ever and has never popped positive. nuff said.

exactly what he said!! let's start bumping out all these nfl, mlb, even college athletes and see what sports are even left
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"
    ... need i say more?
    Yes, please do. Just as soon as you have been through half the *kitten* he and his family have been through.

He tested positive ONCE! For a drug he was given permission to use. Other than that, not a single time in hundreds of tests, over years and years and years.

You took it the wrong way is all..... Lance is the man,,, and that is his quote! It has been my favorite quote since the first time I have ever heard it. Just sucks knowing he has given up, but I understand why
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I listened to a lot of stuff about this during the airing of the Tour, and I finally decided that it was more likely than not that he was guilty.

No, there was never going to be hard evidence to prove that he was, but there's too much doubt at this point to hold on to the hope that he's innocent. There are witnesses who have nothing to gain. There are explanations as to how the testing was circumvented. What really would be gained by bringing him down now, so long after the fact? Wouldn't an innocent person continue to fight?

No hard core proof, and a heck of a lot of doubt.
    ~shrugs~

Witnesses who have nothing to gain? Ummm how about avoiding serious consequences for their own doping, being allowed to continue to cycle, barely getting slaps on the wrist...I think that qualifies as "something to gain." And those who aren't going to get that special treatment, well, we've all had an axe to grind with somebody at some point or another, haven't we?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Lance Armstrong is a complete phony. And I have always thought so...I knew it when he divorced his wife the minute he gained some fame after she stuck thru him with his cancer thing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

USADA says that the UCI is required to recognize their ruling.

"Still, USADA chief executive Travis Tygart said the UCI was "bound to recognize our decision and impose it" as a signatory to the World Anti-Doping Code."
    http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/cycling/story/2012/08/24/sp-usada-cycling-lance-armstrong-uci-reax.html

Whether they do or not, I am not sure. UCI has requested all the info USADA has on the matter.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"
    ... need i say more?
    Yes, please do. Just as soon as you have been through half the *kitten* he and his family have been through.

He tested positive ONCE! For a drug he was given permission to use. Other than that, not a single time in hundreds of tests, over years and years and years.

You took it the wrong way is all..... Lance is the man,,, and that is his quote! It has been my favorite quote since the first time I have ever heard it. Just sucks knowing he has given up, but I understand why

I took it the wrong way too :)
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it was his only option. If there is hard evidence it will come out when his buddy Johan Bruyneel goes to arbitration. Just for kicks, here is a list of the second place finishers during Lance's reign...

1999 : Alex Zulle took second. He has admitted to taking EPO in the past.
    2000 : Jan Ulrich. Suspended and banned for doping.
    2001 : Jan Ulrich. Yet more doping.
    2002 : Joseba Beloki. Implicated in Operation Puerto.
    2003 : Jan Ulrich. Yet more doping.
    2004 : Andréas Kloden. Accused of blood transfusions in 2006.
    2005 : Ivan Basso. More blood doping

YEP.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    With the amount of money athletes get paid, how much tickets are to see them and how much the merch is I say screw it! I want them all on performance enhancing drugs, HGH, Roids, doping whatever. No one wants to pay $80+ dollars to watch some **** hit a single, I want every swing to be a homerun, I wan 3 minute miles, I want absolute Kodiak bears running the pigskin, let's do it!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    ap_lance_matthew_070129_ssh.jpg

Well, he's a Longhorn fan and he hangs with this dude... nuff said.

Well that proves he is at least a pothead. :)

I honestly think he is innocent.