Lance Friggin Armstrong

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Lance Armstrong is a complete phony. And I have always thought so...I knew it when he divorced his wife the minute he gained some fame after she stuck thru him with his cancer thing.

Yes, because a person's personal life and marriage has everything to do with unfounded doping allegations in cycling, and obviously you're not allowed to have marital problems if your wife stays with you while you're battling cancer. You don't know the guy, his ex wife, his current wife, etc so how could you possibly know that he's a "phony" as you say?

A friend of mine is the Armstrong family's nanny (we live in Austin). She's always said he's a super down to earth guy. Hell, I see him around town all the time, by himself cycling or jogging on the running trails. "A phony" is probably the last thing any person around town who knows him or who has met him would describe him as.

His love life has nothing to do with the USADA's allegations. And even if he is a total douche, that doesn't mean anything regarding his athletic career. I mean...look at Ryan Lochte, he's like the biggest douche alive but damn if he isn't an incredible athlete lol
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    After being accused, judged and sentenced of being some rotten person who was supposedly mean to someone, I THINK that it is wrong to assume someone guilty without knowing the facts. Why do people do that. I know the answer, it is because they want to see others fall to make themselves feel higher.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I listened to a lot of stuff about this during the airing of the Tour, and I finally decided that it was more likely than not that he was guilty.

No, there was never going to be hard evidence to prove that he was, but there's too much doubt at this point to hold on to the hope that he's innocent. There are witnesses who have nothing to gain. There are explanations as to how the testing was circumvented. What really would be gained by bringing him down now, so long after the fact? Wouldn't an innocent person continue to fight?

No hard core proof, and a heck of a lot of doubt.
    ~shrugs~

Witnesses who have nothing to gain? Ummm how about avoiding serious consequences for their own doping, being allowed to continue to cycle, barely getting slaps on the wrist...I think that qualifies as "something to gain." And those who aren't going to get that special treatment, well, we've all had an axe to grind with somebody at some point or another, haven't we?

I'm afraid I just don't buy into the witch hunt notion. Yeah, one or two people might want revenge, sure. But more than that? Saying 'yeah, I did it. Everyone did it, including him.' Nope. That is far more believable than 'I was perfect, even though everyone around me was doping.'

~shrugs~

don't get me wrong, I always loved Armstrong. Still like the guy and am impressed with all he's done since. I just happen to think the odds are against him being innocent.
  • bhow55
    bhow55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The evidence is clearly stacked against him. If he truly believes with all his heart that he never doped, then why not fight back with everything resource available. He has made millions in endorsements as a result of his dominance in cycling, which is a direct result of his performance - a performance that is alleged (possibly proven) to have been enhanced by illegal means. The prevalence of doping in cycling has been well-documented, and if this sport ever wants to clear its image from this practice, it must set examples of even it's greatest athletes, otherwise let them all do it and let the chips fall where they may.

Lance had to make a difficult decision - either provide a clear and indisputable record of clean performances or face the wrath and humiliation of cycling authorities and doping agencies, not to mention, peer and public scorn and ridicule, which puts everything he has done or will ever do in complete jeopardy. This way, he can claim a "witch hunt" and that the USADA does not have the jurisdiction to enact these penalties, and still be able to generate funding for his foundations and businesses, which is all he can look forward to at this point. Kudos to his team of physicians, trainers and doping experts who somehow managed to help him pass over 700 mandatory screenings. More evidence is coming out in other sports on how this is achieved - it is the tip of the iceberg. Maybe there should be an investigation into that - how seemingly clean athletes can suddenly and rapidly improve their performance and recover faster even though they are passing their drug/doping screens.

He now joins Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriquez, Ryan Braun, etc., etc., etc, Though never convicted, they have all somehow managed to make millions off the sport they participate in by clearly breaking the rules, yet never payed the full price. Lance will continue deny, deny, deny, yet in the eyes many, he is just another cheater who never came forward with the truth. What a shame....who will it be? Jose Canesco tried, but nobody took him seriously. Only time will tell.....
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    he is the most tested athlete ever and has never popped positive. nuff said.

^^^ this
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    he is the most tested athlete ever and has never popped positive. nuff said.

^^^ this

^^^this...means nothing.....
  • whitty147
    Options
    I read about this earlier today. Perhaps I am naive or I have a soft spot for Lance? But, I want someone to prove something. All I have ever heard on this has been innuendo at best. As an American winning the Tour De France I am certain that the Europeans did absolutely every thing they could to find a smoking gun on him and found nothing provable. In addition he has already been cleared by the US Congressional committee investigation. This sounds like Floyd Landis trying to sell out his past team mates to take the pressure off of his conviction and the USADA jumping on the band wagon to get a high profile win.

YES!! EXACTLY THIS!!! Prove it!!!!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Lance Armstrong is a complete phony. And I have always thought so...I knew it when he divorced his wife the minute he gained some fame after she stuck thru him with his cancer thing.

Yes, because a person's personal life and marriage has everything to do with unfounded doping allegations in cycling, and obviously you're not allowed to have marital problems if your wife stays with you while you're battling cancer. You don't know the guy, his ex wife, his current wife, etc so how could you possibly know that he's a "phony" as you say?

A friend of mine is the Armstrong family's nanny (we live in Austin). She's always said he's a super down to earth guy. Hell, I see him around town all the time, by himself cycling or jogging on the running trails. "A phony" is probably the last thing any person around town who knows him or who has met him would describe him as.

His love life has nothing to do with the USADA's allegations. And even if he is a total douche, that doesn't mean anything regarding his athletic career. I mean...look at Ryan Lochte, he's like the biggest douche alive but damn if he isn't an incredible athlete lol

He is super down to earth while he spent all his time running on beaches with Matthew Mcconoughey (who the heck knos how to spell it) hooking up with starlets.

He is a PHONY
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    And even if he is a total douche, that doesn't mean anything regarding his athletic career. I mean...look at Ryan Lochte, he's like the biggest douche alive but damn if he isn't an incredible athlete lol

wow, yeah, that guy is a total douche!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

OMG you are SO RIGHT! Because like, you totally know what went on behind closed doors between him and his wife and you know the financial burden, emotional strain and just plain stress that a person with cancer and their family members go through while it's being treated. You don't know whether or not his wife cheated on him during his ordeal or if they were going to get a divorce before he was diagnosed with cancer. To say he's a "douche" for something that you know zero about, unless you actually lived with them or have amazing super powers where you can see what people are doing every second, is just plain ridiculous.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    The man is a machine. Who cares if he really was doping. He has a family, an amazing business, and has helped thousands of people reach the weightloss, smoking, and other goals just by being him. He helped start a movement to lose weight and get healthy.

Leave the man alone and let him enjoy his life.

Yes he is a machine. Yes he might have done everything he or doctors advised him to do to be the best cyclist he could be.

He might not have even known he was doping.

I am a fan. I quit smoking last November cold turkey with just his livestrong app and the community associated with it.

People need to realize that he has done so much good in his life. Let him be.
  • Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    So many things to consider

1. Hes the most tested athlete ever and never tested positive.

2. Are his team"mates" being bribed? Are they just jelous? Or are they jelous they got caught and he didnt? Or are they simply wanting to bring justice to the sport.........those who have actually been caught doping before obviously dont fall in the latter category.

3. Lance isnt a quitter, hes quitting now after being through so much,
    maybe its because he knows they have the evidence against him?
    maybe its because he is fed up with it as he says?
    maybe he would rather lose his titles, and get banned for life without any evidence being provided in order to keep some respect?

Remember people,

HES RAISED NEARLY 500MILLION FOR CANCER RESEARCH

Even if he is a cheat, as most of the other athletes are by the looks of it anyway. Without his high profile his "Livestrong" brand would never have raised so much money for cancer research. Doping or not, hes used it to other peoples advantage and no doubt saved so many lives with this money. Im sure all of us know someone with cancer and that kind of puts things in perspecitve, its just a sport, these things happen, im sure hundreds of other athletes go undetected and yet go out spending there money on flash cars etc not piling it into a good cause.

P.S I think he probably did dope, even though I dont want to believe it! He really took the Tour De France to another level.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The guys guilty. I am glad he's ending his fight while he still has dignity and loyal followers.
  • Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    @dan Yeh there you go, i didnt even know about the Livestrong app which also helps people to a healthier lifestyle etc much like this.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I find the entire thing really sad. He took hundreds of tests..you would think if he was guilty..there would be irrefutable evidence there. But..there's not.

A long drawn out court case would eat up everything he owns, and he has a family to support, and a job to do. I agree..It was likely his only option. And that sucks!

This.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    One last post on this topic...at least unless any new information surfaces. All I can say is that IF he doped, you may be able to argue he wasn't the greatest cyclist ever....but there will be NO doubt he was the greatest liar ever! And the greatest test cheater...and that sentence definitely took me out of the running for having the greatest grammar. :P
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Honestly. Do you think with ZERO evidence they would strip him.... come on people. They got something.

Yes, Lance has done some amazing things in his life, and that's wonderful but it doesn't come into play with this subject. Same goes for the not so nice personal life issues as well. Nor the theory "if everyones doing it, I can do it"

He tested positive to 3 tests. However, after a large donation made by Lance to the laboratory..... only 1 test could be found.
    10 of his ex -team mates at this time are willing to testify against him. Armstrong sued to block the case against him, but his suit was rejected Monday. Instead of having the world listen to ALL the testimony, he’s decided to let his legacy fall where it may.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Honestly. Do you think with ZERO evidence they would strip him.... come on people. They got something.

Yes, Lance has done some amazing things in his life, and that's wonderful but it doesn't come into play with this subject. Same goes for the not so nice personal life issues as well. Nor the theory "if everyones doing it, I can do it"

He tested positive to 3 tests. However, after a large donation made by Lance to the laboratory..... only 1 test could be found.
    10 of his ex -team mates at this time are willing to testify against him. Armstrong sued to block the case against him, but his suit was rejected Monday. Instead of having the world listen to ALL the testimony, he’s decided to let his legacy fall where it may.

excatly...he knows they got him now and he is hoping by doing this it will leave doubt in peoples minds.. .if this went forward his legacy would be more tarnished.

and to say he is walking away due to finances? he will never get another real endorsement again. walking away will cost him more than paying lawyer fees.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That type of thinking has been the downfall of many innocent men (and women).
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

That type of thinking has been the downfall of many innocent men (and women).

not when it comes to PEDs