Pilates calorie burn

Options
I just did a pilates/yoga workout to a Ellen Barret video on Netlix. According to the calculator here I only burned 133 calories... after 40 minutes of Cruch Super Slimdown.

Seriously?

Does anyone know if that is accurate or not? I loved how the workout focused on the core. Great video in my opinion!

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I believe it is accurate. Pilates is more weight training and you don't burn as much weight training at all.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That does sound about right, but keep in mind that everyone's body is different. The only way to get an accurate number for cals burned is to invest in a heart rate monitor. I find that most of the time the numbers on MFP are WAY more than actual calories burned. Once I got my HRM it all made so much more sense and I didnt end up overeating when I eat my exercise cals!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yea that would be about right - you burn calories by raising your heart rate, I doubt your heart rate was up very high during pilates. as above it is more weight training - it is still very important though as muscle burns more calories resting that fat does so the more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn in everyday life :) plus you get a mean tone on :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are a number of fitness and health benefits from Pilates. However, unless it inspires you or motivates you to pursue a consistent healthy eating plan or follow an additional consistently more vigorous exercise routine, Pilates is probably not going to have a major direct effect in a weight loss program. You aren't going to burn many calories and you aren't going to increase muscle mass by a significant amount.

That's not a negative comment on Pilates. The core training it provides might help some people perform better in their other exercise activities; it might help heal or prevent injures that could negatively impact your other activities; it might help one to become more active in general and increase casual activity. All of these are beneficial.

It just won't be a strong of a direct contributor to a weight loss program .
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thanksfor the imput!

I am hoping to get a hrm soon. I should have added that I usually do a good cardio workout. I was just looking for something to break up the monotony, KWIM? The strength training for my mid section is much needed... after 8 kids muscles are totally out of shape!

It sounds like the Pilates is good for those strength training days, but I should have most of my workouts still focused on cardio to get my heart rate up. At any rate, it was fun to try!
  • sassysusse
    Options
    Thanks. This thread explains a lot. I couldn't figure out why pilates and yoga had such low calorie burn numbers.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    bump to save.
  • Kcostantino
    Options
    Try the Crunch: Fat Burning Pilates on Netflix. This felt like a workout.. more cardio but still pilates based. I did the other one today and it feels more like toning which isn't bad but definitely easier and I didn't break a sweat. Hope that helps!
  • mommydeadmond07
    Options
    What did you put in for you search for crunch super slim down workout for some reason I cant pull it up. Thanks : )
  • sugamadhi
    Options
    yeah im looking on google now because i also do her pilates work outs and i know im burning more then that
  • KayVee
    KayVee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Traditional Pilates, 50mins is roughly 175-200 calories. Intermediate to advanced can be over 250, but usually contain lots of push ups (chattarunga) and really working deep into the core to the point of shaking :)
  • xiala
    xiala Posts: 50
    Options
    For the Crunch Fat Burning Pilates with Ellen Barrett DVD, I found that using "Aerobics - general" in the exercise database here is more accurate considering the disc is intermediate pilates with cardio instead of regular pilates. I hope this helps.