I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    Dear Vismal
    Is this correct? Please help. (you said ask anything)

img31.gif
    no it's a common wrong answer though, according to the ucdavis website the image comes from :wink:
    How tall are you? I'm sure you've been asked this question already, but this thread has a lot of pages.
    6'1

• wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just because of this thread I have gotten a major education about heavy lifting. I read about it for 2 hrs today and I think I am ready to take the plunge! I must confess that I am a bit worried about doing this because I have fibro, am 53 yo and have never done anything other than light weights, a maximum of 10 lbs. But I have lost 50 lbs, have 10, (maybe 15?) left to go and I am super sick of being flabby and weak. Is it true that light weights don't do anything? Because I have been working with light weights for the last 6 weeks and I could swear I am stronger. You are doing SUCH great work, here. Thank you so much for the generous way you give back to this community.
  • vismal
    Options
    Just because of this thread I have gotten a major education about heavy lifting. I read about it for 2 hrs today and I think I am ready to take the plunge! I must confess that I am a bit worried about doing this because I have fibro, am 53 yo and have never done anything other than light weights, a maximum of 10 lbs. But I have lost 50 lbs, have 10, (maybe 15?) left to go and I am super sick of being flabby and weak. Is it true that light weights don't do anything? Because I have been working with light weights for the last 6 weeks and I could swear I am stronger. You are doing SUCH great work, here. Thank you so much for the generous way you give back to this community.
    It's not that light weights don't do anything, if you were doing nothing then started lifting light weights you will see some positive things happen. Eventually though, if you never increase the load, you'll stop seeing changes. You want to be increasing the weight on the bar over time. At first you can increase on lifts quite quickly. It slows down as you become more advanced. Also know that heavy is a relative term, not an absolute one.

• Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm a 55 yrs old, female, 5'5 and 229. I'm eating 1200 to 1300 cals daily and this is comfortable for me. I walk all day at my job, and hike on weekends. I do cardio at the gym and eat back 2/3 calories because I don't want to go under 1200 cals. I've been losing about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. a week.

With loss, I fear I may stagnate with my calories so low, but when I've added calories my loss completely stops. So in advance I'm trying to figure out what will work for me...any advice to keep things going?

I need to conquer this once and for all...at my age it's now or never.. the thought of hoyer lifts motivate me. LOL I don't like that idea in my future.

I think you are a super star and am very thankful at the kindness you show others in taking the time to help. (I work in a SNF as a rec therapist).
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    It's not that light weights don't do anything, if you were doing nothing then started lifting light weights you will see some positive things happen. Eventually though, if you never increase the load, you'll stop seeing changes. You want to be increasing the weight on the bar over time. At first you can increase on lifts quite quickly. It slows down as you become more advanced. Also know that heavy is a relative term, not an absolute one.

O.K. cool. Thanks so much. I am going to keep adding. Just have to be pretty gradual about it.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Vismal I have been following this thread same as everyone well done.

My situation I'm 5 10 226lb want to be 145lb or look good, I want maybe just a small amount of definition in my abs and biceps which weight program would you suggest.
  • mattbirchfield
    mattbirchfield Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Late comer to the thread, but I will def. sit down and read thru it when I get the chance. Congrats on your achievement there brother. Great job.
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someones said this , but wow your skin is elastic! That much change in that amount of time and it looks like you've never been a pound over average. Great work
  • Pbrown1783
    Options
    WOW! AWESOME TRANSFORMATION!
  • rbohac
    rbohac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with your nutritional goals (Calories, carb, fat & protein ratios). How did that change along the way and why?
  • proudmumaa13
    Options
    Hey I know it's late but what toning exercises would you recommend? I'm 129lb so not looking to lose weight just tone up my body :) x
  • vismal
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Vismal I have been following this thread same as everyone well done.

My situation I'm 5 10 226lb want to be 145lb or look good, I want maybe just a small amount of definition in my abs and biceps which weight program would you suggest.
    I recommend most people who are new to lifting do the "Ice Cream Fitness 5x5". Stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength are also both good choices.

rbohac wrote: »
    How did you come up with your nutritional goals (Calories, carb, fat & protein ratios). How did that change along the way and why?
    I have my own way of calculating I came up with through lots of reading and trial and error. This video explains how I do it:
  • vismal
    Options
    Hey I know it's late but what toning exercises would you recommend? I'm 129lb so not looking to lose weight just tone up my body :) x
    Toning does not exist. You cannot "tone" a muscle. To look "toned" you must do 2 things. You must have built up a muscular base, and you must lose enough fat that the muscular base is shown. I talk about that here:
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What a splendid transformation...inside and out:-) Thanks for sharing...fantastic motivation!!
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just another great example that IIFYM works!!! Congratulations on your amazing transformation, both with your physical and knowledge.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your amazing results and thank you for all the great info!
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You just described my situation. I'm older than you (54) but I was very similar to you. In grade school I was husky. In high school I played line (200 lb) but lost control in college. I've see-sawed between 285-310 for 30 years. My wife has lost 92 pounds by watching her food intake (no MFP) and exercising daily for over a year. My 19 year old son was approaching 250 as a high school junior and he has last 45 pounds by working out and eating right. But my 16 year old son and I have done nothing. I have been on MFP for a few years and have had success at times. However, when I get it going, I'll always find a meal that will increase my weight by 4 pounds overnight. when I've been under my daily calorie goal for a week. It totally counteracts my week of success and I give up. I've done this hundreds of times in my life.

Brother, you and the other successful people here are inspirational. God bless you and thank you for sharing this. WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Yes. In grade school I was "husky". In highschool I was a football player but played line and had plenty of extra fat. In college I lost all the muscle I gained from football and went from "big" to "fat". After college I really let myself go.[/quote]

• ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Totally adding you. Thanks for sharing. I'm ready to become a fitness freak and live without diabetes and heart disease that runs in my family.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the video. I didn't hear anything that I have not heard before but it's good to hear it coming from different sources. I feel more motivated to keep pressing on. Thanks again!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your massive achievement.
    Second, many thanks for your time and info, in this thread. I'm only 8 pages in, but there's been so much helpful info already. I'm down 106 myself, a few pounds from my second target, and i was starting to think about when and how to go through bulking phase. Your answer here ...
    vismal wrote: »
    My question is in regards to lifting....
    Ahh the first bulk.. It scared the hell out of me to actually set a goal of gaining weight. I had worked so hard and the simply though of ruining all that work was horrifying. Fear not though, when executed correctly you can gain quality mass while keeping fat gains minimal. 1st you must except that you will gain some fat, albeit a small amount. But that's fine because at that point you should be pretty darn good at losing fat! The key to keeping lean while bulking is to GO SLOW! ...

... gave me so much hope, encouragement and confidence to face the next step. Once again, many thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!