birth control and losing weight...thoughts please.

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    The pill/BC method does not cause gain itself. It can impact appetite, which can then impact weight.

I've been on microgestin, Nuvaring, and finally Depo for the past few years. I have never had issues with weight loss, as long as I am accurately tracking my intake. Do you weigh your food? Since you're switching to a new method, it may be worth it to invest in one if you aren't already.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    clyn27 wrote: »
    I just started the mini pill 3 days ago and suddenly the amount of food I have ben eating for a few weeks just is not cutting it the last few days. I have been so hungry. Being a woman is a constant struggle!

When I was on the mini pill after my first pregnancy, I felt like I was starving ALL the time. To the point I would get the shakes even though I was eating lots of food. I had lots of other issues with it as well, so I quit taking it. A few months later I had a talk with my cousin, who is a geriatrician, just randomly catching up on things. When I told her how happy I was to be off the mini pill and the problems I had had, she busted out laughing and said progesterone is what they give to their nursing home patients because it is an appetite stimulant. I wish my OB had discussed that with me prior to handing over the Rx. So, talk with your OB--you may need to switch to a pill with a lower dose of progesterone.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    So I ended up having the impact removed 5 days ago and the doctor gave me a prescription for ortho cyclen pills. I had them filled but noticed that weight gain was listed as a common side effect. I know many say they don't think bc causes weight gain, but of its listed as a common side effect I have to think its a definite possibility obviously.

My question is, what causes the weight gain? As in, is it just from overeating with increased hunger or something else? I wonder if it's safe to assume that if I keep track of my calories I logically wouldn't gain, pill or not. Babies defitnley cause weight gain so I'm a little torn which way to go.

Hormones influence metabolism, and different people react differently to the various forms of hormonal birth control.

I would suggest asking more questions and doing more research before you start taking those pills. A good first step would be talking to your pharmacist. There are an enormous number of pill options available these days, so if one doesn't work for you, another might be a better fit.

You might also want to consider a non-hormonal form of birth control, such as Paraguard, mentioned above.

• mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would love an option such ad Paraguard, but I tend to have heavy breakthrough bleeding with any form of birth control so my doctor said that's probably not a viable option for me.

If I'm going to try the pill I have, I am supposed to start it today. I think the best option is for me to just try it and monitor myself. I already weigh my food, keep track of every single thing down to occasional gum even, and exercise daily. I weigh myself every morning, so if I stop losing entirely for a while or even gain I can maybe stop the pill and go from there.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have been on YAZ since I was 16. I'm 36 now and I have no issues losing weight. It's not the pill that makes you gain. It's the food you put in your mouth. Seriously, it may make you feel hungrier, but honestly it's mind over manner.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    urgh had the implant in my arm for a few months, gained so much weight and was generally a moody cow 99% of the day. I was horrible to be around and hated myself. Getting rid of that was the best thing i ever did. Best side effect was having great skin.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I would love an option such ad Paraguard, but I tend to have heavy breakthrough bleeding with any form of birth control so my doctor said that's probably not a viable option for me.

If I'm going to try the pill I have, I am supposed to start it today. I think the best option is for me to just try it and monitor myself. I already weigh my food, keep track of every single thing down to occasional gum even, and exercise daily. I weigh myself every morning, so if I stop losing entirely for a while or even gain I can maybe stop the pill and go from there.

I was on the pill for quite a while (got off it because the NP found that it could complicate the heart problems I have; really lucky find on her part!), and I honestly had no issues with it in regards to weight gain. I only got off of it because it wasn't the best option for my heart, plus it was a pain remembering to take it every day at the same time.

If you do want to talk to your doctor about different options if the pill doesn't work for you, I highly recommend Depo. You do need to watch your calcium with it if you stay on it for a while, but it's a once every three months option via a shot. I personally have a very painful cycle, and getting rid of it completely + only worrying about making an appointment four times a year for it has been beneficial for me. If you are having bleeding issues, it could be worth it to check it out, and see if it helps reduce that bleeding even a little bit, while giving you the benefits of protection from pregnancy.

Man, it stinks being a woman sometimes! Lol.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm on the NuvaRing, and I always have it in, so my periods are very short and light (just some spotting for a day or two). I also no longer have the terrible cramps I used to have, or the severe bloating and water weight gain. I actually had plateaued, and lost another 10 lbs easily after starting it.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for a very short time - was a nightmare for me. It is not everyone's experience, of course, but for some, it absolutely can cause weight gain, bloat, gastro-intestinal issues, etc. I gained about ten pounds in a few months' time. Doc tried to say it was not Mirena but ... and I say this confidently ... he was wrong. I never had weight-related issues with the pill, but they were a stroke risk so I came off them after many years. Anyway, tread carefully with birth control options ...
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    personally, sometimes it felt like the pill made me put on a lot of water weight, but now when i look back on when i used to be on it i was just constantly, constantly overeating, even moreso than when i wasn't on it. i can never stay on a pill for more than a month because my hormones overreact and i go into a spiraling depression (yay). it's definitely different for everyone!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    personally, sometimes it felt like the pill made me put on a lot of water weight, but now when i look back on when i used to be on it i was just constantly, constantly overeating, even moreso than when i wasn't on it. i can never stay on a pill for more than a month because my hormones overreact and i go into a spiraling depression (yay). it's definitely different for everyone!

I had to shop around for the right pill for me for the same reason - I called it the crazies, but basically the same reason. I will never forget the humiliation I felt when, in college, trying to explain to a older, male doctor who didn't believe the pill could affect mood. I was basically just a silly girl, and he had more important things to do. Ugh ... so glad I've moved past all that and (I think) people now know better!
  • Niferlynn03
    Niferlynn03 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    I had Mirena for a very short time - was a nightmare for me. It is not everyone's experience, of course, but for some, it absolutely can cause weight gain, bloat, gastro-intestinal issues, etc. I gained about ten pounds in a few months' time. Doc tried to say it was not Mirena but ... and I say this confidently ... he was wrong. I never had weight-related issues with the pill, but they were a stroke risk so I came off them after many years. Anyway, tread carefully with birth control options ...

I had the mirena for almost 5 years before it dawned on me that every single problem I had was because of that thing! I saw numerous doctors & therapists, and no one thought it was the mirena. I had lots of "mental/emotional" side affects. They seriously thought I was bi polar! Then after opening up to a lady at work, she asked if I had my hormones checked and it hit me like a brick. Its the stupid mirena! I had it removed the next week and I must say, since I've had it removed back in November I feel like Fog has lifted and I am back to my normal self again.... all that's left from that nightmare are the 60 pounds I gained despite my attemps to lose! Now I have zero excuses!

Friend me and we can do this together! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was on the pill. I gained weight. I had mirena I gained weight while dieting. Everyone's body reacts to hormones differently. Trust yourself.

fwiw: with mirena I also had painful breasts, migraines, acne, bloating, and lowered libido. All of which resolved after my hormones settled after having it removed.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Science says no, there's no connection between weight gain and hormonal birth control. Most of it is confirmation bias.

Patch/pill and weight gain: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18843652
    Study on nocebo/confirmation bias: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21134497
    Pill & Primates (pill actually assisting with weight loss by raising metabolic rate): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21126966
    Adverse side effects/weight gain were the same/similar in placebo groups as in BC groups:
    http://www.contraceptionjournal.org/article/S0010-7824(01)00208-6/abstract?cc=y
    Metastudy on a variety of BC methods across 49 trials. No impact on weight: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0012456/

I think that people posting, "Well, I gained weight!" is a detrimental confirmation bias.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've been on two different types of pills in the past year (I was switch from the "regular" pill to a progesterone only pill due to migraines) and I've lost ~40 lbs.

You can lose weight being on birth control. Even with hormones being messed up you can lose weight. You might have to lose at a different rate than expected at a lower calorie goal than expected, but there is a tipping point where you will lose weight.

Start with the numbers MFP give to you for a reasonable rate of loss. Make sure you are being accurate with your intake (weighing solids, measuring liquids) and give it a month. If you don't lose, cut the calories by 100 and then give it another month. Rinse and repeat (you may have to mess with macros a little bit if you have certain health conditions like PCOS). If you get below 1200 calories and you're still not losing (assuming you are being super accurate with your tracking because that's the problem when people don't lose 99% of the time), then see your doctor. At least at that point you will have a solid food log to bring to your doctor to show them what you've been eating.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Science says no ...

I think that people posting, "Well, I gained weight!" is a detrimental confirmation bias.

While I appreciate your reliance on science, I think it's unfair to negate people's physiological experiences (en masse) in a few short sentences and a list of articles. Science sometimes takes time to catch up, and there's a lot of money to be made in hormonal birth control by drug companies.

I knew very little about Mirena when I chose to do it. I read the pamphlet, but since I don't tend to have reactions to such things, I forged ahead. I knew immediately something was wrong. As I mentioned above, my midsection was terribly bloated and there were accompanying physiological symptoms that were extremely unpleasant. In a few short months, I had gained about ten pounds and couldn't button my pants. I'm a regular runner with a predictable diet. It was the Mirena. No "science" will convince me otherwise. Perhaps in ten years, the declarations made today will be reversed and those of us told that it's in our head will feel slightly validated. Either way, though - I got that thing out of me and moved on. I simply suggest that people proceed with caution and choose their own paths.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Science says no ...

While I appreciate your reliance on science, I think it's unfair to negate people's physiological experiences (en masse) in a few short sentences and a list of articles. Science sometimes takes time to catch up, and there's a lot of money to be made in hormonal birth control by drug companies.

Can you imagine how much money would be on the line if a pharmaceutical company could prove that their competitors products cause bloating, soreness, weight gain, whatever, and that their brand new product doesn't? That hasn't happened because all evidence points to confirmation bias in adverse symptoms.

The studies actually demonstrate that women on oral contraceptives gain slightly LESS weight than women who are not on birth control. As far as symptoms, read up on confirmation bias, nocebos, and the article above with placebo controlled studies. Women who were on sugar pills had the same rate/severity/spread of symptoms as women who were on hormonal birth control. Thinking you are on a hormonal birth control is enough for many people to claim the symptoms associated with hormonal birth control.

All of these studies have been initiated because of the very common misconception that birth control causes weight gain/symptoms. Many women discontinue birth control because of the symptoms that they attribute to the medicine, exposing them to the risk of pregnancy.

It's possible that women with these symptoms are sick from something else. If so, they should know not to blame their BC and see a doctor ASAP. Or, it's possible that these symptoms are just part of being a woman. Either way, it's not helpful to falsely blame BC that has run the gauntlet of scientific research.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Given that (1) your argument supports the reduction of unwanted babies in this world (which is a positive thing, whether your argument is accurate or not) and also (2) that I don't have time or interest enough to read up on this and am drawing from Mirena's own admission that it may be related to weight gain and my 100% certainty from personal experience that there is a link (at least with Mirena - don't know about hormones generally) ... I will concede and get back to work.

Your last paragraph continues to offend me; however, I'm sure I'll get over it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Science says no ...

I knew very little about Mirena when I chose to do it. I read the pamphlet, but since I don't tend to have reactions to such things, I forged ahead. I knew immediately something was wrong. As I mentioned above, my midsection was terribly bloated and there were accompanying physiological symptoms that were extremely unpleasant. In a few short months, I had gained about ten pounds and couldn't button my pants. I'm a regular runner with a predictable diet. It was the Mirena. No "science" will convince me otherwise. Perhaps in ten years, the declarations made today will be reversed and those of us told that it's in our head will feel slightly validated. Either way, though - I got that thing out of me and moved on. I simply suggest that people proceed with caution and choose their own paths.

YOU know your body. Definitely do what makes sense to you.
    Mirena was NOT good for me either.
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Science says no ...

I have experienced almost identical symptoms with Mirena. Currently 10lbs heavier than I was when Mirena was fitted in Sept 2014, with a bloated stomach. Despite regular exercise and sensible diet this extra weight crept on.

Coupled with several other unpleasant side effects, Mirena has not been a positive experience for me. However I accept it is a successful option for some women.

It's being removed on Tuesday and I cannot wait to get back to normal. Never had issues like this on BC pills but am told I'm too old for those now.