Lifting Programs During Bulk

Options
Two months left in this (my first) bulk cycle. Right now, I am in need of a quality lifting program to go along with it. The picture is me. I have access to a full gym. Any recommendations?

Replies

• lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Bench: 250
    Overhead press: ~130 - Guess from my 5 rep of 110
    Haven't worked on legs much due to running injuries and the fact my upper used to be so lacking 30 pounds ago. Am fine with picking it up now. Tried squats this week and everything felt ok. I'm guessing I'd max around 200 there and gain rather quickly.

Won't do deadlifts without a belt. Getting one this week. My lower back always bothered me even at very light weights with deadlifts. I'm a mutant with a 6th lumbar. Guessing that is why. Totally unsure on where I would max there.

I have an hour a day during the week. As much time as needed on weekends. 5 or 6 days a week for an hour would be realistic for a program.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I do Wendler 5/3/1 "Boring But Big" program. It's exactly how it sounds. It's a relatively boring program, but you will get big with a proper calorie surplus.

Day 1: 1) Squats 5/3/1 (the book explains what this means), 2) Squats again 5x10, 3) Leg curls 5x10

Day 2: 1) Bench 5/3/1, 2) Bench 5x10, 3) bent over row 5x10

Day 3: 1) Deadlifts ditto 2) ditto, 3) assistance lift

Day 4: 1) Military ditto 2) ditto 3) ditto
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a relative lightweight for lifting but I just started raising my calories and started the Power Muscle Burn 4-day split. I've done some alternate lifts but it still works for me. I like the pace of 3-5 reps/heavy wgt (Power), 6-12 reps (Muscle) and 1-2 40 rep sets (Burn). It keeps me interested. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/power-muscle-burn-5-day-powerbuilding-split.html Two of my more experienced friends are doing it too and they like it. I agree with MrM27. Find something that works for you and stick with it. Good luck!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I'll recommend MADCOW. That'll get you squatting 3x a week at varying volume and intensity.
    http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I do the 4 day split tat Caged Heat mentioned. Been on it for 3 weeks. Liking it a lot so far. The burn sets are redonkulous.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You've got "2 months left". You're benching 250. What's wrong with your current lifting regimen?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    You've got "2 months left". You're benching 250. What's wrong with your current lifting regimen?

That threw me off too, if you're currently on a program then finish it. How will gauge the results of either program if you switch with "2 months left".
  • lyzxyzzy
    Options

Need legs added. Boredom :smile: It's fun to see what others are doing. They usually know more than I.
  • lyzxyzzy
    edited January 2015
    Options

That threw me off too, if you're currently on a program then finish it. How will gauge the results of either program if you switch with "2 months left".

You must've just beat me on the reply. My current routine is one I made up. Eight weeks of a workout that was designed by a more professional lifter could be a very beneficial experience.

I've also noticed some variation in my lifting. Since it's a made up program, it can be varied at will, right? A new program would help me refocus.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lyzxyzzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Haven't worked on legs much due to running injuries and the fact my upper used to be so lacking 30 pounds ago. Am fine with picking it up now. Tried squats this week and everything felt ok. I'm guessing I'd max around 200 there and gain rather quickly.

Won't do deadlifts without a belt. Getting one this week. My lower back always bothered me even at very light weights with deadlifts. I'm a mutant with a 6th lumbar. Guessing that is why. Totally unsure on where I would max there.

I have an hour a day during the week. As much time as needed on weekends. 5 or 6 days a week for an hour would be realistic for a program.

Um. Belts aren't for your back- they are for your abs- specifically to brace against. me thinks that needs to be addressed with someone whose got some serious professional experience.
  • lyzxyzzy
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Um. Belts aren't for your back- they are for your abs- specifically to brace against. me thinks that needs to be addressed with someone whose got some serious professional experience.

Thanks Jo. Will look into it.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Jim Wendler 5/3/1 'Boring But Big' is a rock solid program.

Just be sure you're eating enough to support recovery and development.
    That volume + progression is no joke.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

no- no it is not.

coughsheikosucksd!ckcoughcough

just kidding- I love it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

You need to work on lower back strength. Belts are for bracing your core, not supporting your back. I deadlift 340 with no belt.

During my bulk I did PHAT the first half and a custom program the second.
    (Picture is pre-bulk)
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Stronglifts 5x5 and loving it. I have 2 herniated discs in my back (L4-L5) and deadlifts and squats scare the bejeezus out of me, but I'm doing fine so far, with no belt. I won't start using the belt until I feel I'm unstable at the core. By doing so, it's helping to strengthen my core naturally.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Yes, the volume can definitely kill you and that's from my personal experience. I wouldn't want to do it on a deficit.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the 'boring but big' version, but yes, Wendler's (eventually) sucks balls at deficit.
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Wendler's (eventually) sucks balls at deficit.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this part a little please? I've just started a cycle today in fact from his "Beyond 5/3/1" and I'd like to know your thoughts. I do intend to continue it, I'm just curious to know.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Wendler's (eventually) sucks balls at deficit.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this part a little please? I've just started a cycle today in fact from his "Beyond 5/3/1" and I'd like to know your thoughts. I do intend to continue it, I'm just curious to know.

Once you start Wendler you will understand that it combines both high volume and fairly aggressive progression cycles (3 weeks working up plus a deload and repeat at a higher working max). On week 1 you will do a 25 rep pyramid (15 warm-up and 10 working) followed by a final set of 5+ reps at 85% of your working max. You are trying to get as many reps as possible in the last set. I've often done over 35 reps per workout on one of the big 3 lifts. Then you typically do a bunch of assistance work so based on your choice you can do more of the big lift, at high volume, or assistance lifts at higher volume.

Needless to say this will really tax your CNS and your glycogen reserves. So if you are on a deficit and don't have a large amount of glycogen reserves you will be sucking wind a lot while you wait for your liver to convert amino acids into to glycogen.