What happened to The Gaining Weight Section?!

Options
So this has become my favourite place to lurk around here. I'm not looking to gain weight but love the idea that one day I might. There's no reason for me not to try a genuine bulk other than fear of getting fat and years of calorie counting etc to lose/maintain...

So I loved to read of those bulking or cutting (especially the females). It was like this is the place the cool kids hang out and I stood in the background admiring and wanting to be part of the gang but never quite daring.

All of a sudden I can't distinguish this forum from Motivation & Support...

What's this thing about being "friends" with people on an online forum?? Just don't get it and hope the front page soon returns to its previous feisty and informative self.

There - I've said it...

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There seem to be two distinct groups in this section (well, 3 if you count the non-gainers who lurk like you and I): those who are underweight and want to gain weight to hit a healthy weight and aren't really concentrating on body composition or gaining muscle mass and the bulkers who are looking to put on muscle. The first group seems to be the friend making group (not that I'm not friends with some of the frequent posters in this section).

That said, I don't see why we can't all play nice together. 90% of the advice is going to be the same for both groups. The major difference I see is that the first group might be more resistant to advice to lift heavy.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    ^^Fair comment...

I guess I don't understand the need for virtual friends on any forum I frequent...of which there are two (Golf Monthly being the other)!
  • auddii
    Options
    Ha. Most of my friends on here will like something I post (I semi-treat my profile posts like facebook, but more fitness related) or when I workout. Some will post comments or jokes or rude comments (in jest). A small group of us created a private group, and we all chat daily. I have a lot of fun with those girls and I'm excited that I may get to meet a few this year since I will be traveling close to them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^Fair comment...

I guess I don't understand the need for virtual friends on any forum I frequent...of which there are two (Golf Monthly being the other)!

I don't need virtual friends to support my journey- but I make and have friends- we have things in common- enjoy good jokes- so my feed is full of fun things and people who appreciate the hard work I do.

I in no means rely on them for anythnig I do- I go in and do my work- and then I share it here- but nothing about them makes me go do the work.

Some people seem to be inclined to think that they have friends on their list they will be more motivated/inspired to go do work.

That's typically not the case b/c they are looking for an outside source- when it needs to be internal. But my opinion really doesn't matter ultimately.
  • auddii
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ^^Fair comment...

I don't need virtual friends to support my journey- but I make and have friends- we have things in common- enjoy good jokes- so my feed is full of fun things and people who appreciate the hard work I do.

I in no means rely on them for anythnig I do- I go in and do my work- and then I share it here- but nothing about them makes me go do the work.

Some people seem to be inclined to think that they have friends on their list they will be more motivated/inspired to go do work.

That's typically not the case b/c they are looking for an outside source- when it needs to be internal. But my opinion really doesn't matter ultimately.

Definitely agree with this. I have a lot of "friends" that I've picked up looking for motivation, and most of them are no longer active. People who have friended me because we have something in common (lifting, enjoying beer, whatever) seem to have more staying power.

You definitely can't rely on someone else to motivate you. My favorite posts are the people whining that they don't have a good group of friends because they don't like every automatic post when you close your diary, exercise, or if you're over calories.
  • auddii
    Options
    G35GT wrote: »
    So this has become my favourite place to lurk around here. I'm not looking to gain weight but love the idea that one day I might. There's no reason for me not to try a genuine bulk other than fear of getting fat and years of calorie counting etc to lose/maintain...

So I loved to read of those bulking or cutting (especially the females). It was like this is the place the cool kids hang out and I stood in the background admiring and wanting to be part of the gang but never quite daring.

What's this thing about being "friends" with people on an online forum?? Just don't get it and hope the front page soon returns to its previous feisty and informative self.

There - I've said it...

What do you mean "what happened?" Is there something missing? I'm new here so

The dynamic of this section changed recently. My guess is the January influx of people with resolutions.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

There - I've said it...

The dynamic of this section changed recently. My guess is the January influx of people with resolutions.

Also more people probably come in since they can't tell what forum a post is on when they are on the phone app. I haven't been here overly long but the advice was always to eat whatever you could to gain but now we get a lot of new posters who tell everyone that they must avoid "junk". Until very recently there would have been some big disagreements on that.
  • JoRocka
    Options

There - I've said it...

The derp in the gaining section is typically pretty low- the people in here are usually not new people asking about clean food... it's a pretty solid group of well educated people and the people that specially have been seeking advice are people in a position ready to affect real changes in their life and just need guidance.

There HAS been an influx of "I'm new and I have no idea what I"m doing help me avoid sugar while I gain weight"

which probably has to do with people less checking the sub forum it's under and more people just replying. I suspect it'll fade out- there will always be ebbs and flows.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options

There - I've said it...

I hope that is it, because the differences in goals and some of the false understandings about nutrition and gaining are bleeding over and blurring the sound and solid advice that should be common for either goals. If I hear one more thing about 'clean' food I think I am going to go crazy. Mainstream media SUCKS!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've got a bit disillusioned with this section. 'Clean' and low GI people giving (IMO) bad advice and loads of threads looking for friends, like you say.

And I tend to stay out of the recovery threads incase I give out bad advice.

I miss the BS thread, hell, I'm even missing Jason's thread :(

• auddii
    Options

There - I've said it...

Also more people probably come in since they can't tell what forum a post is on when they are on the phone app. I haven't been here overly long but the advice was always to eat whatever you could to gain but now we get a lot of new posters who tell everyone that they must avoid "junk". Until very recently there would have been some big disagreements on that.
    That too. I've added seeing subforums in the app to the wishlist for things, but updates are slow that it may or may not be addressed sometime in the next 6 years. Maybe by that time I'll have actually lost enough to be able to try a bulk...
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was so relieved when Jason's thread went off the first page - but now I have to agree!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I've got a bit disillusioned with this section. 'Clean' and low GI people giving (IMO) bad advice and loads of threads looking for friends, like you say.

yeah what happened to my BS thread- I saw it was missing. I was sad.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Jason's thread was the classic thread that kept on giving.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

AKDonF wrote: »

There - I've said it...

I hope that is it, because the differences in goals and some of the false understandings about nutrition and gaining are bleeding over and blurring the sound and solid advice that should be common for either goals. If I hear one more thing about 'clean' food I think I am going to go crazy. Mainstream media SUCKS!

The worst is when you get someone posting a cut-and-paste on every bulk help request saying "NEVER EAT JUNK". It's the same thing and completely wrong. I miss NDJ and MrM right now lol.
  • auddii
    Options

I assume someone was feeling left out, whined, and it was deleted.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Not that I was stalking it or anything... but it got moved to some sort of mod-only section.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Having internet friends is the literal worst. Period.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with having internet friends? internet people are real people too.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    AKDonF wrote: »

There - I've said it...

The worst is when you get someone posting a cut-and-paste on every bulk help request saying "NEVER EAT JUNK". It's the same thing and completely wrong. I miss NDJ and MrM right now lol.

What happen to NDJ and MrM??