Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If humans are designed to eat carbs don't go against nature- thats why people think they need to restrict and have weight issues. eat as nature intended and lots of it and you'll lose weight and have so full energy! carb the *kitten* up :)

Who said we were designed to eat carbs?

I didn't know humans were designed.

I do low carb and I have tons of energy. I had the energy to walk halfway across town and back today in the humidity and on the way back I was dragging groceries in a laundry cart too B)

Walking is low intensity activity.

Swap that for a 10k run or a 5k fast run and the limitations of low carb intake become clear, very very quickly.

http://www.si.com/edge/2014/08/11/inside-lebron-james-weight-loss-and-low-carb-diet

Which limitations would those be?
    Off season diet lol

Are you suggesting he sits on the couch playing xbox for the entire off season?

are you suggesting that fat burns as fast as carbs? Carbs are the high performance fuel.
    CF4HDkAUoAABYiv.jpg:small

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If humans are designed to eat carbs don't go against nature- thats why people think they need to restrict and have weight issues. eat as nature intended and lots of it and you'll lose weight and have so full energy! carb the *kitten* up :)

Who said we were designed to eat carbs?

I didn't know humans were designed.

I do low carb and I have tons of energy. I had the energy to walk halfway across town and back today in the humidity and on the way back I was dragging groceries in a laundry cart too B)

Walking is low intensity activity.

Swap that for a 10k run or a 5k fast run and the limitations of low carb intake become clear, very very quickly.

http://www.si.com/edge/2014/08/11/inside-lebron-james-weight-loss-and-low-carb-diet

Which limitations would those be?
    Off season diet lol

Are you suggesting he sits on the couch playing xbox for the entire off season?

are you suggesting that fat burns as fast as carbs? Carbs are the high performance fuel.
    CF4HDkAUoAABYiv.jpg:small

Knight's argument is that you are incapable of doing anything more strenuous than a gentle walk while on low carb. So, unless you're suggesting that Lebron does nothing more strenuous than taking a gentle walk during the off season, his success with it alone demonstrates that you can be active. This is, of course, since those who run around screaming lalalala I'm not listening won't dare accept the evidence of the entire /r/ketogains community actually existing, or the experience of every LC person on MFP posting in the gains section, or those who just, in general manage to work out 3-7 times a week and are in perfect health. There are thousands of average person examples right here, which should be perfectly acceptable for a rational person.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Great post OP. I don't have any fancy charts or anything like that, but I do know that my body loses weight faster and easier when I lower my carb intake. I was losing weight very slowly, about 10 pounds per year over a 4 year span when eating a Primal diet, which was already lower in carbs than the regular diet I used to eat, but I wanted to step things up a notch, so started eating a much lower carb diet last Fall. I have hypothyroidism, which I believe prevents me from losing weight as quickly as other folks. I truly believe that I have found a way of eating that suits me now, judging my how I feel and by the increased speed of weightloss.

I have lost 38 pounds since eating LCHF, over a period of almost 9 months, however since lowering my carb intake for my new keto diet, 20 of those pounds were lost in the last 3 months. So it took me 6 months to lose 18 pounds by lowering my carbs somewhat ( not sure how low ), but by keeping my daily carb count at under 20g in the past 3 months, I sped up the weight loss considerably.

In addition to the weight loss benefits, I have noticed that my energy levels have increased, brain fog has disappeared, physical stamina has increased, and a sense of well being and calm has overcome me. I feel better than I have in a decade, since lowering my carbs. I can see myself eating this way for many years to come. I would recommend that anyone who is struggling to lose weight give this a try.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Great post OP. I don't have any fancy charts or anything like that, but I do know that my body loses weight faster and easier when I lower my carb intake. I was losing weight very slowly, about 10 pounds per year over a 4 year span when eating a Primal diet, which was already lower in carbs than the regular diet I used to eat, but I wanted to step things up a notch, so started eating a much lower carb diet last Fall. I have hypothyroidism, which I believe prevents me from losing weight as quickly as other folks. I truly believe that I have found a way of eating that suits me now, judging my how I feel and by the increased speed of weightloss.

I have lost 38 pounds since eating LCHF, over a period of almost 9 months, however since lowering my carb intake for my new keto diet, 20 of those pounds were lost in the last 3 months. So it took me 6 months to lose 18 pounds by lowering my carbs somewhat ( not sure how low ), but by keeping my daily carb count at under 20g in the past 3 months, I sped up the weight loss considerably.

In addition to the weight loss benefits, I have noticed that my energy levels have increased, brain fog has disappeared, physical stamina has increased, and a sense of well being and calm has overcome me. I feel better than I have in a decade, since lowering my carbs. I can see myself eating this way for many years to come. I would recommend that anyone who is struggling to lose weight give this a try.

I too have hypothyroidism. I find eating this was sustainable as well, I quite enjoy it. I know what you mean about the increased energy and decreased brain fog.

I wish it increased my rate of weight loss too :)

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    This is such a fantastic post, thank you so much for sharing. It’s really nice to see that the whole low vs high carb is a bit overblown (in my view). Good job on your weight loss, and I have confidence that you will maintain your amazing results - you seem like a determined and level-minded person, so no reason why you wouldn’t! :smile:
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    This is such a fantastic post, thank you so much for sharing. It’s really nice to see that the whole low vs high carb is a bit overblown (in my view). Good job on your weight loss, and I have confidence that you will maintain your amazing results - you seem like a determined and level-minded person, so no reason why you wouldn’t! :smile:

Thank you.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

10km at what pace? Define "5k fast"?

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The Banana Girl and her fans are proof that some people can thrive on a high-carb diet. I've got nothing against them, but I don't share their genetic makeup. Go with what works for you.

I wouldn't call losing your period and thinking that's a good thing "thriving".
  • AmethistShines
    AmethistShines Posts: 3 Member
    Options

That stated I agree. This is true for people who eat a HCLFV (High Carb Low Fat Vegan) lifestyle. I am among a HCLFV lifestyle. I used to eat a SAD (Standard American Diet) lifestyle and ended up with pancreatitis 2 times in my life. I ended up becoming mostly Vegan 2 years ago in Jan/Feb and was able to come off of All of my meds. So with lots of slip ups I have lost so far 20+ lbs. I try to eat mostly raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. My body feels amazing if I eat this way. In that order throughout my day I get tons of Carbs with lots of fruits and a huge salad in the dinner time with avocado or nuts in my salad. Lots of times I add fruit to my salads. So for sure Carb the *kitten* up!
  • AmethistShines
    AmethistShines Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

That stated I agree. This is true for people who eat a HCLFV (High Carb Low Fat Vegan) lifestyle. I am among a HCLFV lifestyle. I used to eat a SAD (Standard American Diet) lifestyle and ended up with pancreatitis 2 times in my life. I ended up becoming mostly Vegan 2 years ago in Jan/Feb and was able to come off of All of my meds. So with lots of slip ups I have lost so far 20+ lbs. I try to eat mostly raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. My body feels amazing if I eat this way. In that order throughout my day I get tons of Carbs with lots of fruits and a huge salad in the dinner time with avocado or nuts in my salad. Lots of times I add fruit to my salads. So for sure Carb the *kitten* up!
    And there are people that eat low carb that feel amazing. There are people that eat moderate carb that feel amazing. If you are supporting Freelee as well just know Freelee is ignorant. Trashing people that don't follow her dumb ways. Supporting losing your period. Not understanding how protein works. Trash talking people that aren't skinny with thigh gaps. It's just dumb and the new shill accounts popping up here are sad.

I'm supporting myself and sharing my experiences.
  • rgoins374
    rgoins374 Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have been eating mainly paleo with some cheats (Frito corn chips). After 2 graduations and all the resulting dinners and cookouts, I blew up like a balloon. My feet and ankles were swollen which is not a normal thing with me.

Last Sunday I decided to do the Ketogenic diet and within 2 days the swelling was gone. The most amazing thing for me is that I have been going to bed earlier and actually falling to sleep and sleeping through the night. I have battled a sleep disorder associated with my fibromyalgia most of my life dating back to my high school years. It is also helping with my chronic pain.
  • rgoins374
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »

dang iPad
  • rgoins374
    edited June 2015
    Options

Lost my post on the iPad. Will repost when I'm on the laptop.

reposted above ^
  • auntstephie321
    Options

I have been eating mainly paleo with some cheats (Frito corn chips). After 2 graduations and all the resulting dinners and cookouts, I blew up like a balloon. My feet and ankles were swollen which is not a normal thing with me.

Last Sunday I decided to do the Ketogenic diet and within 2 days the swelling was gone. The most amazing thing for me is that I have been going to bed earlier and actually falling to sleep and sleeping through the night. I have battled a sleep disorder associated with my fibromyalgia most of my life dating back to my high school years. It is also helping with my chronic pain.

I've noticed that too, I had been getting pain in my joints, specifically my elbows and wrists. The aches went away about a week in to low carb, before I lost any weight. Those other reasons are why I will continue, I now know that I will lose weight either way, but there are some other things from doing low carb that are worth staying that way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the only one saying anything like that is Mr. Knight and I had thought (perhaps incorrectly, my memory is not always perfect) he had low carbed at one point, so I'm curious to understand more about what he's saying. I suspect it's not that, precisely.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    CARB UP !!!!!

guys please carbs aren't the enemy its perfect human food , freelee the banana girl eats 3000 cals of carbs a day (and many other super fit thin high carb vegans)

heres like to her boyfriends channel of a video on what she eats, please explore her channel and other HCLF vegans :D the lifestyle is amazingggg