To Carb or not to Carb (for weightloss)

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Her point is that the charts do not differ in terms of weight loss significantly, meaning that while the calorie deficit seems to play a role, carb intake levels did not impact her actual weight loss.

I follow that, but without knowing what the calorie deficit was in each case we can only conclude that the two different levels of carbohydrate restriction produced a weight loss that looks broadly similar (at least on a phone screen).

Edit: Now I'm not on a phone screen I see a weight loss of ~30 lbs in 11 months in case A ( 0.68 lbs/week) and ~15 lbs in 10 weeks, or about 1.5 lbs/week in Case B, ie double. Hmm.

Here are the caloric intake charts
    y9tzbzshov2a.png

36szmvqlcc24.png

What I see in the weight charts is from January 1 2011 to June 1 2011 I went from 170 lbs to roughly 146 lbs, a 24 lb loss. From January 1 2015 to June 1 2015 I went from 174 lbs to my current lowest of 154 lbs, a 20 lb loss. Initially I lose the majority then there is a lot of I have to do to get the remaining 15 or so lbs to come off, that is a much slower process and will likely take me till the end of the year again, or longer.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What I see in the weight charts is from January 1 2011 to June 1 2011 I went from 170 lbs to roughly 146 lbs, a 24 lb loss. From January 1 2015 to June 1 2015 I went from 174 lbs to my current lowest of 154 lbs, a 20 lb loss. Initially I lose the majority then there is a lot of I have to do to get the remaining 15 or so lbs to come off, that is a much slower process and will likely take me till the end of the year again, or longer.

I think my problem is that the second chart starts in March, not January, but US dates may be confusing me.

There does appear to be a declining loss rate with time / loss issue which makes motivation harder in the latter half than at the beginning.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

I think my problem is that the second chart starts in March, not January, but US dates may be confusing me.

There does appear to be a declining loss rate with time / loss issue which makes motivation harder in the latter half than at the beginning.

I know I wasn't able to go back as far on mfp for the report. I was actually stunned that the other site still had my data from 2011
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the process is to get stuff stickied anymore, but I really think this should be. We need a quick resource for the "want to do LC because you lose faster" threads and the "don't need a deficit in LC" threads.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I don't know what the process is to get stuff stickied anymore, but I really think this should be. We need a quick resource for the "want to do LC because you lose faster" threads and the "don't need a deficit in LC" threads.

Agree, it's fantastic to see actual charted out results. I second the sticky!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Graphs are sexy.

Well done!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Graphs are sexy.

Well done!

Lol thanks ;)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    That has to be one of the best posts I've read, thankyou.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If humans are designed to eat carbs don't go against nature- thats why people think they need to restrict and have weight issues. eat as nature intended and lots of it and you'll lose weight and have so full energy! carb the *kitten* up :)

Who said we were designed to eat carbs? I do low carb and I have tons of energy. I had the energy to walk halfway across town and back today in the humidity and on the way back I was dragging groceries in a laundry cart too B)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The Banana Girl and her fans are proof that some people can thrive on a high-carb diet. I've got nothing against them, but I don't share their genetic makeup. Go with what works for you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Can we please not have a derailment of a really great, informative post with Freelee of all things?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Can we please not have a derailment of a really great, informative post with Freelee of all things?

Thank you. Please don't derail. Though I do hope for good discussion..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If humans are designed to eat carbs don't go against nature- thats why people think they need to restrict and have weight issues. eat as nature intended and lots of it and you'll lose weight and have so full energy! carb the *kitten* up :)

Who said we were designed to eat carbs?

I didn't know humans were designed.

I do low carb and I have tons of energy. I had the energy to walk halfway across town and back today in the humidity and on the way back I was dragging groceries in a laundry cart too B)

Walking is low intensity activity.

Swap that for a 10k run or a 5k fast run and the limitations of low carb intake become clear, very very quickly.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I do low carb and I have tons of energy. I had the energy to walk halfway across town and back today in the humidity and on the way back I was dragging groceries in a laundry cart too B)

Swap that for a 10k run or a 5k fast run and the limitations of low carb intake become clear, very very quickly.

http://www.si.com/edge/2014/08/11/inside-lebron-james-weight-loss-and-low-carb-diet

Which limitations would those be?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    So few people find the right plan for them and stick with it.

Congrats on finding the right nutrition plan for your body.

For me it had gotten down to food being fuel. I fuel my body for the expected work load.

Great job of tracking. I am getting more disciplined with tracking. Even a spray of PAM in the non stick skillet.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

http://www.si.com/edge/2014/08/11/inside-lebron-james-weight-loss-and-low-carb-diet

Off season diet lol
  • JPW1990
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Off season diet lol

Are you suggesting he sits on the couch playing xbox for the entire off season?