Being poor/ food insecurity

Options
Hello! How do those of you with limited or no income support a healthy lifestyle? I've also been having increased food anxiety and feel the need to ration everything I eat, as I'm increasingly nervous about not having enough. I live in a very remote area with no access to transportation and don't start working until mid December.

Has anyone experienced food insecurity anxieties? How have you maintained a healthy a nutritious diet? I mostly eat oatmeal and though I have a few fresh things in my pantry, once they run out I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to get more food. I'm hoping to build a chicken coop soon, but they will also take some money.

Thank you!

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    We've been there. It's a hard place to be. We accepted all food offerings, my husband has a farmer friend that gave us potatoes, when neighbors had fruit or veggies from their garden, we gladly accepted. I learned to can, to preserve any and all extras. What I didn't can, I froze or dehydrated. I took a tiny flowerbed and grew carrots, peas and green beans in it. (much to the chagrin of my elderly neighbor with immaculate flower beds, lol.)

I honestly can say, that at times, we weren't very healthy (potatoes and a few things from wic for weeks) but we were lucky enough to never go hungry.

Beans can be your best friend once you know what to do with them. I wish you didn't have to go through this.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Growing up poor is part of what got me into the position I am in now...stuff that comes out of a cardboard box does not typically constitute the healthiest of diets. However, being poor also taught me the fine art of being able to make a tasty meal from literally anything. I had like 100 recipes for ramen alone. I've learned that some of the best staples for filling meals on the cheap are rice, beans, ground beef, cheese, and some of the basic sauces (tomato, alfredo, etc). I can make 10 - 20 different meals just from those ingredients alone.

As long as you're creative, it's entirely possible to maintain a caloric deficit and a budget while still getting the nutrition you need. I'd recommend a site like supercook.com to give you some ideas for cooking with what you have.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has lived through this stocks a full pantry ever afterwards. Is there a food bank or a church alms giving service you can take advantage of?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Foods I won't run out of now include flour, eggs, powdered milk, oatmeal, and butter. There a dozen recipes I can magic out of these.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes to the ramen noodles as they are inexpensive calories.
    Also bread and rice. Also lentils, beans, canned or frozen veggies, peanut butter, peanuts. cabbage, potatoes, onions, carrots, collards.
  • sallymarcus413
    sallymarcus413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. There is a food bank in my area, but I live about a half hour away from any town and have recently lost my car. I plan on hitchiking into town as soon as possible, but I recently moved back into the country and have no proper warm clothes and it's like 12 degrees outside. Blah, sorry, off topic and not about food. It's just hard to focus on anything else right now.

And thank you for the suggestions of food that won't spoil. I will start being more creative with combinations of grains and beans. Some friends had a dinner party last week and gave me all of their leftovers, and it felt good to ask for help in that way.

Again, thanks for your support. I know that this is temporary, but it sucks and worrying about it is consuming a lot of mental energy. It's good to know I'm not the only one there.

Also, I'm currently trying to maintain weight, so being at a deficit isn't helpful haha
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We have 4 (almost) teenage sons who eat ALOT and despite my husband working full time and my working part time, our grocery budget needs to be stretched.

I save money by buying in bulk, using coupons and I plan my weekly shopping trips/menu's based on sales. I make sure to do my shopping mid week as often i come across fruits and veggies marked 50% off. (Stuff that didnt sell on the weekend) I often buy "day old" bread and other 50% reduced bakery items.

Without access to a car noone of the above will be helpful to you but maybe it will help someone else reading this thread.

In addition to the above we pick alot of fruit from mother nature. In May we pick fiddleheads along the river. Strawberries in June, Raspberries in July, Blueberries in August, Apples in October. And when i say we pick some, i'm talking buckets and buckets enough to do the whole year. I freeze, can and dehydrate the excess. My husband hunts rabbits, duck, partridge, deer and moose. I have a huge garden and grow most of our veggies from May-September.

I hope your situation changed for the better :) Nothing worse than food insecurity! Take care.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Grandma had a big family & she always a big pot of veggie soup on the stove.Her DDs did the same,making a variety of soups.I do my part by always having soup in the freezer.One Aunt said her sons thought onion,carrots & cabbage was "cabbage soup". You can add what you have,toss some seasoning in & it's a meal.
    Try to get one item at each shopping trip to stock up on.With flour & eggs,make noodles.Add a dab of sugar & yeast to make bread.Go with store brand foods,Dr up boxed food,have breakfast for dinner.With dry beans you have a base for chili,tacos,bean soup,baked beans,bean salad. Good luck & let us know how it goes. Pat
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sm413, next summer a large vegetable garden. Then, can like crazy. Hunt or trap if that's an option
  • sallymarcus413
    Options
    Yes, I plan on gardening this coming year! I can hunt and fish on my property, but I don't have any tags or anything. I might anyway...
    I can also probably ask some friends who recently filled elk tags if I can have a bit of meat.
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? There might be someone in this thread or reading it who can be a resource to you. I would love to know if I can help. I will mail you free seed and gardening seeds when winter is over if that would help at all.
  • steuartcj
    Options
    Don't know where you live, but Google how to preserve meat.
  • sallymarcus413
    Options
    You guys are all incredibly kind. I will start my job in December and hopefully many of these worries will be resolved once I have a steady income.

And I live near Bozeman, Montana for reference.
  • sallymarcus413
    Options
    And thank you guys for even just providing me a safe platform to speak of such things. I'm too embarrassed to talk to my friends about this kind of stuff.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I think that more people can relate then you'd realize.
  • steuartcj
    Options
    A true friend will be there good or bad. Choose wisely but give them a chance, you maybe surprised.. we ALL have dark times.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Since you're having to haul whatever you get back without a car, it's good to realize that foods like dried beans, peas, and lentils, rice, dry store-brand pasta, oatmeal, grits, and dried milk are light-weight as well as inexpensive. I think dried eggs are as well, but I haven't done the price comparison to fresh eggs to know for sure. I just keep some on hand in case I get snowed in and want to do some baking and save my fresh eggs for frying and scrambling.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Huge value in bags of dried beans. That and better portion size control... you only cook what you want. There are plenty of good people willing to help if you need it. Sometimes the hard part is asking for the help. You might also qualify for assistance programs. You'll pay taxes the rest of your life... you may as well use the hand up if or when you need it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Some friends had a dinner party last week and gave me all of their leftovers, and it felt good to ask for help in that way.

If people know of a need, they're usually more than happy to contribute. I know I would be, if a neighbor were suddenly up against hard times. Ask for help. It's usually a win-win.

Also, do check out any churches that may be in proximity. Again, when a need is known, there is often gladly-given help provided.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, pasta, rice, oats and frozen vegetables are good foods that are usually cheap. Clip coupons and buy on sale. Many stores will drastically reduce prices on foods that are near expiration. Buying these and freezing them is a good way to save money.

If you aren't working and have time on your hands, volunteering at a local soup kitchen is a good way to eat for free and help others.