Workout DVDs and how they could negatively affect you

Options
2»

Replies

• freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA! love that Richard Simmons pic!

I guess I am the odd ball. I work out with Jillian Michaels who has an amazing bod as do her buddies and it does not faze me in the least - however, I am over 45 so I know that body is not achievable due to my age. So I don't care. I am there to work out not to feel bad about myself.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Well, they'll do a "study" on anything, won't they? I don't see the difference as far as negatively influencing the younger generation. The exact same thing could be said about the vast majority of TV commercials and magazine ads. That's why it is up to the parents and other responsible adults in a child's life to teach them what is realistic and what is commercialized for the sake of making money.

I'm not sure how many exercise videos and DVDs would sell if the people were in baggy, ill-fitting clothes.

This. I think the prevalence of certain images and messages in all kinds of media are potentially more harmful than the appearance of people in a workout video. I actually find people in workout videos tend to look more like fitness models rather than your standard super-thin model. My husband will negatively comment on people like Jillian Michaels looking 'too much like a man' or some nonsense. I think she looks fabulous! I think the aspiration for strength/muscles/cardio fitness is a lot more positive than a lot of other images of people elsewhere.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »
    HAHAHA! love that Richard Simmons pic!

I guess I am the odd ball. I work out with Jillian Michaels who has an amazing bod as do her buddies and it does not faze me in the least - however, I am over 45 so I know that body is not achievable due to my age. So I don't care. I am there to work out not to feel bad about myself.

Jillian Michaels will be 42 next month. However, what she sells is herself, so it is her business to look like that, and in her financial interest to spend as many hours as needed to achieve that look.

I love her on Biggest Loser, but have no desire to look like her and am also not fazed by her bod.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yeah, this is some nonsense. I also don't see any indication in the article that they actually talked to, you know, women who watch these videos, or assessed their self-image before and after watching them, or did any sort of data-driven evaluation whatsoever. This literally was a male researcher sitting around watching exercises DVDs going "Why, that woman is showing her navel! What a ho! I must immediately mansplain to women how bad it is for their delicate psyches to see such hootcherie occurring on their TV screens!"

Mansplain this, dude.