Workout DVDs and how they could negatively affect you

Options
So I have found a very interesting article online, saying that workout DVDs could affect your fitness level and your weight loss negativly (I'm not sure if I can post a link, so let me know please). The research reviewed 10 most popular DVD workouts (so not a large number of subjects, but still worth thinking about it). Most of the workouts are performed by barely dressed, thin fit women, which researchers say is very sexualizing, objectifying and promoting a body image instead of health.
They have also found that some "motivational statements" in the videos are actually negative, and make most people lose their motivation.

I personally always prefered watching exercise videos with real fit people, that are interested in promoting health and fitness, not their bodies. And as someone who is fairly confident, I know how not to get affected by some of those videos that are completely focused on showing off the body, as well as the negative comments in the videos. I get motivated by the fitness level not the shape of the body.
But what about young girls and boys out there who would like to have a healthy fit life, and the most popular stuff around them is completely scened and ,unreachable (for most people) body?

What do you think about workout DVDs? Do those bodies motivate you or make you feel worse?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I think they're good for some people and not so good for others.

There's no right answer with health and fitness.

There's only stuff you enjoy (and therefore continue doing) and that moves you towards your goals.

Some people find being yelled at motivating. Some people need hand holding. Some people so badly want to look like a certain fitness professional or celebrity it gets them moving. Others find it unobtainable and remote and therefore demotivating.

There's as many different ways to motivate people as there are people with different psychological make ups.

• lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I can somewhat see what they are saying but...

When I'm at home working out I'm wearing tight fitting clothing and often in just a sports bra and shorts so why would I expect someone in a work out video to wear much more?

I have only done programs from Beachbody (I'm not a coach!) but they don't seem sexual, Shaun T does mention once or twice about looking good, but its a lot about being your best and being healthy.

Seeing those people on the video sweating along with me totally motivates me, gives me something to work toward. Plus, who doesn't love the convenience of working out from home?!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    They're really not my thing. One of the greatest benefits of regular exercise for me is getting out of the house. Going to the gym or the park gives me a sense of community. Using the hiking trails and facilities in my state and being in nature helps me feel connected to my environment. Without those things exercise feels, I don't know... soulless?

Working out with a friend is important to me. Their commentary is almost always supportive and helpful. It really doesn't matter what someone in an exercise video says, they're reading a script.

I absolutely would not be surprised if a series of long-term studies showed decreased effectiveness of workout videos vs. working out in community places or nature with real-life friends. I mean, it seems like common sense.
  • HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The only exercise video I use is Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I wear glasses and without them, I'm legally blind so I do the video with my glasses off (this way they don't fly off my face). I've seen the two women that are in the video, and while they are wearing shorts an and a bra, their bodies look fit to me. In general, though, I'm the type that cares more about the exercise and making sure I'm doing it right than what the girls look like. I don't really pay attention to what Jillian says other than when it's time to move on to the next move (because, again, I'm trying to perfect the move myself without falling over lol). I also use a kickboxing video on YouTube, but a guy does the video, not a girl. The same still follows for me, though. I don't care what he looks like, I just try to follow it the best I can because he goes so quickly. However, I find both videos motivating for me. I like knowing that I'm making myself better, even if I feel like I want to die.

As for the sexual objectification and etc for workout videos, I suppose I've never thought about the way they're portrayed because I've never noticed on it. I'm more focused on the exercise rather than the body doing the exercise. I can't say that everyone else thinks this way, especially younger guys and girls, but I would hope that they won't compare themselves to them. I know this isn't the case all the time, but I like to think more positively and hope that the younger generation is smarter than that.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Well, they'll do a "study" on anything, won't they? I don't see the difference as far as negatively influencing the younger generation. The exact same thing could be said about the vast majority of TV commercials and magazine ads. That's why it is up to the parents and other responsible adults in a child's life to teach them what is realistic and what is commercialized for the sake of making money.

I'm not sure how many exercise videos and DVDs would sell if the people were in baggy, ill-fitting clothes.
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I personally love fitness DVD's because it allows me to workout at home. I lost 46 lbs doing workout videos. I don't find that the people are scantily clad. I find the fit bodies motivating for me, I don't feel that it makes me feel more insecure or bad about myself. I also find that DVD's done by Jillian Michaels and the Beach Body crew focus more on fit people. I think it's important to have fit people in videos.

They sure will study anything now a days haha.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Eh. "Barely Dressed" I'm guessing I'm guessing you mean sports bra and shorts. . . Both are examples of athletic clothing, garments whose sole purpose is to be worn while doing exercise. It's not inappropriate. I don't understand why that's a valid reason to be objectified and sexualized. I have, at times, run in a sports bra and shorts and to be honest I see plenty of men running in shorts shorter than mine and I manage not to let it negatively affect me.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    Eh. "Barely Dressed" I'm guessing I'm guessing you mean sports bra and shorts. . . Both are examples of athletic clothing, garments whose sole purpose are to be worn while doing exercise. It's not inappropriate. I don't understand why that's a valid reason to be objectified and sexualized. I have at times run in a sports bra and shorts and to be honest I see plenty of men running in shorts shorter than mine and I manage not to let in negatively affect me.

Exactly. That's pretty much my standard "wear around the house" attire as well. I wear more than that when going to the gym just as a personal preference, but I'm used to seeing others at my gym just wearing the bare minimum. Doesn't bother me. As a matter of fact, I find it motivating. Why not showcase your hard work? I'm not offended.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would view their bodies as something to work for- whether obtainable or not. However, my focus is on MY body-otherwise why even workout?

Also, motivation comes from within.
    I wouldn't read too much into this study. DVDs are some people's go-to or their only availability for a routine, for others its the gym.
    Get in where you fit in.
    :)
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous to think that a woman in her workout gear is being "objectified" and "sexualized". People will find anything to be offended by. For me seeing a fit woman in a sports bra and shorts working out is motivating. It makes me push harder because that's what I'm trying to achieve.

But then again I am not one who gets easily offended by anything.
  • MarmiteToes
    MarmiteToes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've tried lots of workout videos and while I'll occasionally notice if a woman in them is wearing something super skimpy like booty shorts and a bra, my typical reaction is to think, "Damn, she's got a great figure and can totally rock that outfit!" Even at my skinniest and fittest I've never looked like those women and I won't ever expect myself to. Just like actresses, I assume that it's part of their job to look a certain way so they have the freedom and time to devote to more exercising than I can fit into my schedule. I wouldn't bother comparing myself to them since that's unrealistic for me. As for the comments, I mute my workouts since I usually dislike the music and once I've run through the workout once or twice I don't need to hear the instructions. The faux encouragement actually makes me laugh or roll my eyes. I use workout videos as another tool in weight loss and being healthy and no element of the video will affect my goal.

I will say that it annoys me a tiny bit when you can see one of the people in the background taking a break from the workout because she thinks the camera's no longer on her. Maybe she's trying to keep from getting sweaty gross like me? Again, it doesn't affect my ability to use the video to reach my goal.
    They're really not my thing. One of the greatest benefits of regular exercise for me is getting out of the house. Going to the gym or the park gives me a sense of community. Using the hiking trails and facilities in my state and being in nature helps me feel connected to my environment. Without those things exercise feels, I don't know... soulless?

Working out with a friend is important to me. Their commentary is almost always supportive and helpful. It really doesn't matter what someone in an exercise video says, they're reading a script.

I absolutely would not be surprised if a series of long-term studies showed decreased effectiveness of workout videos vs. working out in community places or nature with real-life friends. I mean, it seems like common sense.

This is an interesting assertion to me because I don't think any two people are created alike, so why should the same workout rules apply to everyone? I'm glad you know what works for you but I don't think that works for everyone. Personally, I'm a little self-conscious and anti-social so working out in public or with friends isn't appealing at all to me. I have much better success working out in the comfort and privacy of my own home. I'm much more likely to stick with my workout routine if it doesn't involve making plans and scheduling something, having to gather up my phone, purse, and keys, and driving to some location before I can even begin my workout. I'd rather throw on some workout clothes, lace up my shoes, and get going right away. All the amazing people on this site who hit the gym before work are so impressive to me, especially because I don't know how they find the time. But for me it works much better to roll out of bed as late as possible (I'm NOT a morning person), put on the clothes I laid out the night before, and wander downstairs to start my workout in the living room. I can't imagine having to factor in an extra 30+ minutes to drive to and from the gym when I value my sleep so much! I do like hiking as you do, but since it's so dark both before and after work it's much safer to do a DVD at home. I don't even go for runs right now because there's no available time when it's light enough for me to feel safe. Workout DVDs are saving me from putting on winter weight and for that they are invaluable to me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think everyone should wear mumus and work out in very dim lighting on workout videos so none of us have to deal with the reality that there may be people who look better than us. It's not like we seen fit, attractive people every day or anything.

Edit: Brain fart typo
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There are soooooo many workout DVDs. So one small list isn't everything, it's not even most things. Here are some videos I've tried:

Biggest Loser DVDs feature celebrity trainers & regular people who are trying to lose weight.

Shapely Girl by Debra Mazda - features a trainer who lost > 100 pounds and other plus sized ladies

Leslie Sansone DVDs feature regular people (some big, some small) and likely a few fitness professionals (NOT scantily dressed).

Cathe DVDs feature fitness professionals.....as opposed to fitness MODELS.

Yes - there are "sexier" videos out there. They are not intimidating or insulting to me, because I don't buy them. We all find something we stick with, or we find excuses for why we don't exercise.

I won't go to a gym regularly.....so there is no point arguing whether or not I would be more fit IF I went to the gym.

If you look at the TV and find something offensive.....turn it off.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've only done yoga dvds, Ballet Beautiful, Insanity, T25, Insanity Max 30, P90X, and P90X3. And while doing any of these things, the last thing I was concerned about was what they were wearing. I was too busy trying to hold the pose, or during the Shaun T programs, trying to fight through the exhaustion and keep going, or looking at the timer and wishing it would go faster so I could have a water break.

All the programs I have done have helped me in some way. I've never felt discouraged by what they were wearing b/c I knew what my body looked like and I knew what I wanted my body to look like, and rarely does it match the person working out with the trainer. Some of the people in the videos have 6 packs, I don't aspire to have a six pack.

This was a pointless study in my opinion.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sadly OP, this kind of offensive nonsense has been going on for decades....

Richard11.jpg
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I use exercise yoga and pilates DVD's as I do not have time to go to the gym. My goal is to lose some lbs, tone and be fit. Since I only wear a sports bra and shorts when I exercise at home, I don't really care what other people on the DVD wear, unless it is blatantly obscene or improper.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't see anyone in exercise DVDs being any more skimpily dressed or "sexualized" than folks at the gym. In fact, I think there is something vaguely offensive about the idea that women wearing workout clothes is "sexualized". I'm being silly there, because I think the media is far too concerned with finding offense with things. But are women supposed to workout in housedresses??

As far as the reply about working out in a "community" being important - different strokes. There are many people who aren't confident in the way they look or in their physical abilities who find it far more stressful to workout in public. And for me personally, i deal with people all day at work. Sweating out my stress and frustrations in the privacy of my home is a luxury I couldn't live without. If working out after work had to involve other human beings, I wouldn't do it. I get plenty of socializing in other areas of my life, working out is "me" time and I prefer to not deal with other people during.

There are approx 2.5 gazillion workout DVDs. There is no way they could come to a general conclusion about them by looking at 10 of them!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you guys are also more focused on the workout it self, rather on who is wearing what. As I said in the first thread I get motivated by the fitness level and I think everyone should be focused on that part of the video.
    Sadly I do know quite some people that get really discouraged by same thing. I guess it all depends on person.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The 'celebrities' in them annoy me and that puts me off but I like the personal trainers.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Was it this?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/123360/20160112/want-to-stay-fit-and-healthy-don-t-use-an-exercise-dvd.htm

I agree with this part, which is probably true of the Beachbody and Jillian Michaels crap that is most likely in their study.

There are a lot of exaggerated claims through the imagery and language of 'do this and you'll look like me'," said Cardinal. If viewers don't look like the "fit" people on-screen, they may become disheartened, he said.

You can do hours a day of P90X, Insanity and whatever Jillian does, but if you don't eat like them, you're not going to look like them. And sometimes even if you do.