:::whiny vent inside::::I wear size 26/4 jeans yet am 6 pounds from being overweight

Options
2»

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is likely due to vanity sizing and you may have a lower body fat percentage causing you to be more dense so a smaller size than someone who your same height and weight but composed of more fat. Feel lucky you can even find pants to buy! My natural waist is 21.5-22 inches and I get to pretty much wear children's yoga pants. Vanity sizing is so out of control even 000 fit more like a zero or 2 from around 10 years ago.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What's the diameter of your wrist? http://www.timigustafson.com/2009/what-is-your-frame-size-s-m-l-xl/

If you have a large frame like me, don't bother looking at the BMI.

You don't have a "large frame".
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm muscular with a large body frame by wrist, forearm and neck measurements

I thought BMI was irrelevant when I was outside it, because body frame and muscles

Turns out I'm happiest at a BMI of around 24

So for me, even though I was cynical on the population measures, it appears I am not in the 20% outside the confidence interval

I'm in the same camp too. I deluded myself for a while thinking that BMI wasn't accurate for me because I lift "heavy".

Turns out I was wrong. I can happily sit at 24. I wouldn't mind losing 5 pounds, but I'm not stressed about it.
  • dlumpkin1
    dlumpkin1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, keep working at it!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »

I thought BMI was irrelevant when I was outside it, because body frame and muscles

So for me, even though I was cynical on the population measures, it appears I am not in the 20% outside the confidence interval

I'm in the same camp too. I deluded myself for a while thinking that BMI wasn't accurate for me because I lift "heavy".

Turns out I was wrong. I can happily sit at 24. I wouldn't mind losing 5 pounds, but I'm not stressed about it.

My point wasn't that it is inaccurate, my point was there is a range. It is ok to be at the top end of the range.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 152 lbs and wear a size 29/8 in most brands of jeans, so yeah I'm thinking the brand you wear is vanity sized or you are just very muscular (or at least a lot more muscular than me, lol) and so bmi isn't a very good metric for you. My goal weight is 140-145, which is smack in the middle of "normal" for our height, and puts me at a size 28/6 in most jeans.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »

My point wasn't that it is inaccurate, my point was there is a range. It is ok to be at the top end of the range.

I didn't think you were. However, I'm not so certain that the person talking about frame size agrees.

The helathy BMI range is pretty large. Women who lift often can get away with being at the high end of a normal BMI. I think that it is rare for a women to be much above 25 BMI and not be over-fat, but it can happen. It can be more common for men to get above a 25 BMI and not be over-fat. But either way, it works well for the majority of the population, even if we are in denial at times.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Old Navy brand jeans are vanity sized, they are notorious for being too big compared to other brands.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What's the diameter of your wrist? http://www.timigustafson.com/2009/what-is-your-frame-size-s-m-l-xl/

If you have a large frame like me, don't bother looking at the BMI.

You don't have a "large frame".

Yeah? When I was in the military I had to get my boots and hat from the men's side because the largest women's sizes were too small.

I have to add extensions to bracelets for them to fit around my wrist.

Etc.