Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I totally agree; a good one is hard to find (unless they cost a fortune).
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine how long body recomp would take doing yoga & meditation.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    bmj2015 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for weighing in on my cardio... I know, it's kind of confusing sometimes!

Basically my trainer says I don't *need* to be doing much cardio since I am happy with my weight and more interested now in gaining lean mass to replace fat mass. But he also said if I actually ENJOY it (which I do) that I should still keep doing it, but not to the extent that I don't get sufficient time to rest/recover. Personally, I enjoy my cardio activity and I also enjoy having at higher TDEE (because I like to EAT!) so I will keep it up but I've made some adjustments to fit in my strength workouts and allow for a bit more rest. Also, I've upped my protein intake significantly.

In other news, I had a Bod Pod test today. Has anyone else done this? It gave me a measurement of 20% body fat and it also gave my my personal RMR, and TDEE for different levels of activity. It pretty much confirmed the numbers I had already estimated, but it was nice to know that I am on the right track and not grossly over or underestimating.

To the bolded, you have yourself a good trainer!

Yup. I know that my cycling has a negative effect on me gaining mass, but it's not something I am willing to give up. I just eat a *kitten* ton to compensate.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Great thread here. Wanted to jump in and get some feedback. Just wondering when you all decided to finally make the jump to recomposition? I've lost from 240 to 165ish (bounce between 165 and 167), and still currently in a slight deficit.

It's hard for me to estimate my own body fat, as I think I have a skewed image of what I look like. I'll post my current pic here to help, but want to make sure I'm at a point where recomp is appropriate.

A bit about me:

M, 26 years old
    5' 9.33", weight like I said above 165 pounds.
    Waist measurement: 32", give or take a 1/2 cm

During my deficit, I really only ran and did cardio. I haven't touched a weight in years. Which is one of the reasons I'm wanting to start a recomp.

Hope you all can help and point me in the right direction, whether it's time to start the recomp or if I should cut a few more pounds first. And if you have a BF% estimate for me that would be great too!

zdms9k49xn9r.jpg
    MFP2.jpg 168.7K
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    ASH_DVM wrote: »
    Hey all! Great thread here. Wanted to jump in and get some feedback. Just wondering when you all decided to finally make the jump to recomposition? I've lost from 240 to 165ish (bounce between 165 and 167), and still currently in a slight deficit.

It's hard for me to estimate my own body fat, as I think I have a skewed image of what I look like. I'll post my current pic here to help, but want to make sure I'm at a point where recomp is appropriate.

A bit about me:

M, 26 years old
    5' 9.33", weight like I said above 165 pounds.
    Waist measurement: 32", give or take a 1/2 cm

During my deficit, I really only ran and did cardio. I haven't touched a weight in years. Which is one of the reasons I'm wanting to start a recomp.

Hope you all can help and point me in the right direction, whether it's time to start the recomp or if I should cut a few more pounds first. And if you have a BF% estimate for me that would be great too!

zdms9k49xn9r.jpg

18%? Start lifting weights now! How do you feel about your current weight? How long did it take you to lose the weight? Have you ever had a diet break? If you are unsure what to do you can always eat at maintenance while lifting weights and re-evaluate in a few months.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ditto's to above - start now lifting no matter what.

Keep a minor 250 deficit perhaps - because you'll be in unique place to lose fat while making great progress - that won't happen as easy later with less BF.

And yes - MFP's database entry for Weight lifting seems like low calorie burn - and it is.
    Just warning you if used to cardio level burns.
    So the 250 deficit may help with fact you'll be burning less.
    But still log and eat it back to keep the minor deficit.
  • ASH_DVM
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Keep a minor 250 deficit perhaps - because you'll be in unique place to lose fat while making great progress - that won't happen as easy later with less BF.

And yes - MFP's database entry for Weight lifting seems like low calorie burn - and it is.

Thanks!

What are your opinions on the +20/-20 off TDEE for recomp? Looking at the LeanGains breakdown, I'm considering this one.

Calculating my needs with 3 days lifting and then sporadic cardio, I'd do 2880 cals on lifting days and 1920 on non-lifting days, for an average of 2331 calories per day. And protein I'd try to hit 150 grams per day.

I think this looks like a pretty good plan. I'm happy at 165 pounds. Could I be happy a little lower, sure, but I think 165 and lower fat will be good for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Thanks!

What are your opinions on the +20/-20 off TDEE for recomp? Looking at the LeanGains breakdown, I'm considering this one.

Calculating my needs with 3 days lifting and then sporadic cardio, I'd do 2880 cals on lifting days and 1920 on non-lifting days, for an average of 2331 calories per day. And protein I'd try to hit 150 grams per day.

I think this looks like a pretty good plan. I'm happy at 165 pounds. Could I be happy a little lower, sure, but I think 165 and lower fat will be good for me.

That's really more MFP method when you think about it - you eat more when you do more, eat less when you do less. Set to maintenance instead of deficit. But you could take deficit and still do it.

Many people like the weekly average TDEE method because you eat the same amount daily despite the fact your actual calorie burn is different. Whereas MFP is floating goal when used as designed, with static deficit or none.
    Method you describe is same way - might as well use MFP as designed.

Are your workouts in the morning, so that eating more that physical day helps with recovery? If evening workout, the next day for recovery would actually benefit from higher calories then.

Just be careful if your lifting recovery for the 24-48 hrs falls into time span of big cardio burn, that creates a bigger deficit that day when you least want it for recovery - if doing the method you mention.

You could still keep it simple and eat 100 extra calories during that recovery time, and take it from the day with none - just a trade.
  • ASH_DVM
    Options

Thanks!

That's really more MFP method when you think about it - you eat more when you do more, eat less when you do less. Set to maintenance instead of deficit. But you could take deficit and still do it.

Many people like the weekly average TDEE method because you eat the same amount daily despite the fact your actual calorie burn is different. Whereas MFP is floating goal when used as designed, with static deficit or none.
    Method you describe is same way - might as well use MFP as designed.

Are your workouts in the morning, so that eating more that physical day helps with recovery? If evening workout, the next day for recovery would actually benefit from higher calories then.

Just be careful if your lifting recovery for the 24-48 hrs falls into time span of big cardio burn, that creates a bigger deficit that day when you least want it for recovery - if doing the method you mention.

You could still keep it simple and eat 100 extra calories during that recovery time, and take it from the day with none - just a trade.

Thanks for the insight/reasoning. I've decided to go with 2500 per day, average. I started StrongLifts 5x5 today and plan on 2-3 days of cardio (mostly swimming right now, more running in a few months when I'm fully recovered from my tendinitis in my Achilles) but the consistent calories seemed easier and like your reasoning mentioned, I wouldn't fall into a recovery day with low cals if I have to lift at night.

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you all posted.
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Following since I'm moving into toning and cutting
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I have read this thread with interest. I have a question. I think I understand these 2 different processes (bulk/cut and recomp). If you have a LOT of weight to lose, do you have any suggestions about optimizing body composition while losing the weight (hopefully mostly fat). I am thinking adequate protein, low carb and a commitment to strength training. Is this too simplistic/naive?
  • bioklutz
    Options
    I have read this thread with interest. I have a question. I think I understand these 2 different processes (bulk/cut and recomp). If you have a LOT of weight to lose, do you have any suggestions about optimizing body composition while losing the weight (hopefully mostly fat). I am thinking adequate protein, low carb and a commitment to strength training. Is this too simplistic/naive?

A calorie deficit, adequate protein, structured lifting program - for a cut. Going low carb is not necessary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Made it too complex rather than too simplistic! :)
    Zero need to go low carb unless you want to create your deficit that way.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options

bioklutz wrote: »

A calorie deficit, adequate protein, structured lifting program - for a cut. Going low carb is not necessary.

Ok.. Gosh this seems simple.. why am I still confused!! LOL!
    SO...I'm not necessarily in recomp (maintaining weight while losing BF% and gaining muscle) I would still like to lose about 10-12 lbs while weight training. I'm currently eating at a 25-30% cal deficit. I keep reading that in order to build muscle you have to be eating at maintenance, then I read this about eating at a deficit with adequate protein. I also read that if you're not eating enough calories your body will go into catabolic mode and start breaking down your muscles for amino acids and protein. CONFUSED!

Is it called a cut when you're lifting weights while eating at a deficit?
    Can you BUILD muscle eating at a calorie deficit?
    Is protein the primary component to building, can you still build muscle if you're meeting your protein macros?

Thank you everyone for your posts and all the info!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kerryatoon wrote: »

SO...I'm not necessarily in recomp (maintaining weight while losing BF% and gaining muscle) I would still like to lose about 10-12 lbs while weight training. I'm currently eating at a 25-30% cal deficit. I keep reading that in order to build muscle you have to be eating at maintenance, then I read this about eating at a deficit with adequate protein. I also read that if you're not eating enough calories your body will go into catabolic mode and start breaking down your muscles for amino acids and protein. CONFUSED!

Is protein the primary component to building, can you still build muscle if you're meeting your protein macros?

The bold is what i am confused about. Why at such a high deficit?

A cut is when you eat at a deficit. You are cutting body fat down.
    I am not sure the science on question 2 outside of newbie gains I wouldn't think so.
    Again not a science person so no idea.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    Kerryatoon wrote: »

The poster mentioned bulk/cut & recomp but mentioned needing to lose weight. A cut while getting adequate protein and lifting will help preserve muscle mass. The bulk portion (of a bulk & cut) would be gaining muscles. Recomp is maintaining your weight while lifting. In recomp you are hopefully slowly losing fat and slowly gaining mucsle.
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    The bold is what i am confused about. Why at such a high deficit?

A cut is when you eat at a deficit. You are cutting body fat down.
    I am not sure the science on question 2 outside of newbie gains I wouldn't think so.
    Again not a science person so no idea.
    [/quote]

@sunflowerhippie3 I just switched from MFP 1200/day cals (-2lb/week goal) to using TDEE. I calculated my TDEE usng my actual data (weight loss and calories eaten) over a 10 week period and came up with at TDEE of 1842.
    At a 25% deficit that would put me at 1382. MFP says that will give me 1lb/week loss. Quite honestly I'm struggling with the change in mindset of eating more.. I'm also still tweaking to reduce fats and increase protein so I meet my protein macros without going over my calories. I often will eat under my cal goals anyway because I'm scared to go up to the 1390.