Overeaters anonymous

Options
alc649
alc649 Posts: 467 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone here go to overeaters anonymous meetings? I'm really thinking about it. I've been addicted to food for as long as I can remember.

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have never been, but I know the concept, assuming it's the same. No foods with flour or sugar listed in the first 5 ingredients in one of their things. That I wouldn't want to do. I do like to eat sandwiches. The minute I told myself I couldn't have those things, I would crave them.
  • alc649
    Options
    Yeah I think with that everyone's abstinence is different. There are some foods I'm trying to stay away from now because I know I won't be able to eat them in moderation,but once I get some more time under my belt hopefully I can eat them again.chips are a big one for me.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I have never been, but I know the concept, assuming it's the same. No foods with flour or sugar listed in the first 5 ingredients in one of their things. That I wouldn't want to do. I do like to eat sandwiches. The minute I told myself I couldn't have those things, I would crave them.

yeah no. it's about redeveloping a healthy relationship with food. they don't tell you specifically what to eat.

i've been to other 12 step programs and i find the mutual support to be beneficial.
    i've also found every meeting is different so if you don't like one try others in your area.

Ummm, yes, they do have different food plans for you to follow that are fairly specific. Although it looks like it's more tailored to each individual now. Back in the day, that was their Schtick, no flour or sugar in the first five ingredients in any food. I was very close friends with someone who went, and that's how it was. I said, assuming it's the same. Just give your opinion without having to be a smart *kitten* with your "yeah, no" BS. People on here just crack me up.

OP... You need to find what works for you! If going to meetings, having a structured plan, whatever it is, find the way that makes you successful.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

yeah no. it's about redeveloping a healthy relationship with food. they don't tell you specifically what to eat.

i've been to other 12 step programs and i find the mutual support to be beneficial.
    i've also found every meeting is different so if you don't like one try others in your area.

Ummm, yes, they do have different food plans for you to follow that are fairly specific. Although it looks like it's more tailored to each individual now. Back in the day, that was their Schtick, no flour or sugar in the first five ingredients in any food. I was very close friends with someone who went, and that's how it was. I said, assuming it's the same. Just give your opinion without having to be a smart *kitten* with your "yeah, no" BS. People on here just crack me up.

OP... You need to find what works for you! If going to meetings, having a structured plan, whatever it is, find the way that makes you successful.

Looks like there are six sample plans but choosing one is not mandatory.

http://bookstore.oa.org/pc_product_detail.asp?key=1CA4DF2A316E477FBFDC3FBC200054E9

This pamphlet provides guidance to both new and longtime OA members in devising their own plans of eating. It covers topics such as: the difference between a plan of eating and abstinence, having a choice of plans, reviewing our eating patterns, "trigger" or "binge" foods, eating behaviors, structure and tolerance. The pamphlet provides six sample plans of eating (reviewed and approved by a licensed dietitian) with which some OA members have had success.

• alc649
    Options
    I just think it would help me with the obsession of food. I can not be hungry at all and crave food.like tonight we went out to eat and I did good I got salmon sweet potato corn on cob.but my fiancee had potato wedges..and my son had chicken strips and now I want those so bad! I'm full though

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    I just think it would help me with the obsession of food. I can not be hungry at all and crave food.like tonight we went out to eat and I did good I got salmon sweet potato corn on cob.but my fiancee had potato wedges..and my son had chicken strips and now I want those so bad! I'm full though

Sure, give it a shot.

I failed to find useful info about the OA method on the OA site, but the compulsive eating part of the wiki page was useful - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overeaters_Anonymous. I support the goal of ending compulsive eating. Not sure how well or how quickly OA teaches that. Some of it will depend on the individual meeting.

We've been having a great debate on abstinence vs moderation here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10400683/dont-forbid-any-foods/p1 so I was interested to see that the OA philosophy is abstinence.
    “Abstinence in Overeaters Anonymous is the action of refraining from compulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors while working towards or maintaining a healthy body weight.” [10] This concept of abstinence has been criticized for its lack of specificity. While in AA abstinence means not drinking alcohol, some argue that it is not possible to set out specific foods, because OA's experience is that different people have different food triggers (i.e. foods and food behaviors that cause them to eat compulsively). While it is often said that alcoholics don't have to drink, but compulsive eaters still have to eat, Overeaters Anonymous responds by pointing out that alcoholics do have to drink, but cannot drink alcohol, just as compulsive eaters do have to eat, but cannot eat foods which cause compulsive eating.

I'm off to catch up on that thread and to bring up OA there.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I would like to attend a meeting. I think I see it more as a support group---talking to people who are having the same struggles. Unfortunately, I've not found one within driving distance in my area.
  • alc649
    Options
    I tried going to one about a year ago but no one showed up! The door was locked and I was the only one there. I've got a contact number now though so I might try calling tomorrow
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    An alternative is tops.org. There is a chapter finder on the website.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The whole "I'm powerless" thing in Step 1 doesn't work for me. I'm not powerless and reject that concept utterly.

What was much more helpful was the cognitive behavioral techniques I learned in Smart Recovery and/or Rational Recovery, and this only took a handful of meetings.

No, that definitely rubs me up the wrong way. And when I read the rest of the 12 steps it came across that you basically have to accept that you are powerless when it comes to food so the way to move forward is to hand over power to some external factor/deity who will then just... I don't know, fix things?
    This was on the "is OA for you" page... and it's very clear that it's definitely not for me!

Having said that, I suspect that if the group of people you meet with are supportive and you learn some actual strategies to take the power back in your own hands, then I'm sure it's very helpful for some people.
    They really aren't selling it well though!
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have been going to OA meetings recently and I have found it very helpful. Yes, there is an admitting that you're "powerless" factor... but overeaters anonymous isn't for the casual overeater. It's for those who genuinely have a serious compulsive / binge eating issue. As in, you've done everything in your power to control your eating issues, but you're still out of control and are feeling hopeless. It isn't about willpower when you get to that point. Seriously... I've had much success in many other areas of my life. I have no problem with my willpower when it comes to every other area of my life, but my addiction to food has kicked my butt over and over again, despite my attempts to control it. The admitting that you're "powerless" aspect sounds counterintuitive, but in general, it's stems from those who use compulsive eating as a way to cope with life's problems and difficult emotions and ultimately, you're trying to control your reaction by using "feel good" food... if that makes sense. It's definitely not for everyone but I have seen many people have great success with the program. If face-to-face meetings don't work for you, I recommend phone meetings or online meetings. There are phone meetings almost every hour of the day... all with different focuses. Some are conversational/sharing format and some are speaker format. I enjoy the speaker format phone meetings. There's one phone meeting in particular at 8am (eastern standard time) Mon through Fri, where a speaker works through the "big book", which is the AA book which OA is based off of... I really have enjoyed this meeting because it's an in-depth explanation of the program, and why and how it works. Check out the OA website for details. Feel free to message me if you have any questions :).
  • magpiejen
    magpiejen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OA has telephone meetings and online meetings, for those who can't find a face to face meeting. I've been going for a couple of years and it has changed my life :)
  • dolcemaria81
    dolcemaria81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Where can I find info on those meetings?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Where can I find info on those meetings?

Oa.org

• rugbyishy
    rugbyishy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ive been to meetings and you can do online meetings. There was no food plan that I was given. 3 healthy meals and avoid snacking was mentioned. Im not ready for oa yet. when lived in london you could find a meeting pretty much every day which would have suited me better.
    The higher power concept has some positive and negative. In a way chanting the prayer is therapeutic but it feels almost religious which I dont believe in personally.
    If you feel your an extreme eater or non eater it wont hurt to try it.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have never been, and I am sure it helps some people. I am not trying to be negative or dramatic with the relay of the contact I had with two members on a nearly daily basis for at least two years. You should go if you need or want to do so, but be careful in your choices.

We used to have two secretaries in our office who were members, and it seemed like all they did was focus on food. They carried giant coolers of food in everyday. I think it was always the same food. I guess that was for a degree of control, but they talked of almost nothing else. Well, except for all of the other addictions they apparently had after they started going, including sex, drugs, alcohol, spending/shopping, unicorns... You name it; they were addicted to it.

Now, I am not trying to make light of addictions. I am addicted to Coke, and some people have addictive personalities. The problem was that they didn't have any of these addictions before.

They would also stay on the phones with their sponsors or people they sponsored for much of the day. They would push it on everyone else and try to get you to join. It was like some creepy cult. In fact, my secretary went to a meeting and came back saying it was like a cult. Then they wouldn't leave her alone about going to more meetings.

Maybe it was just that chapter or them, but I would be sure to find a chapter that suits you, where you can get support but don't have to be obsessed. Needless to say, they don't work at our firm anymore. They never got anything done.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    An alternative is tops.org. There is a chapter finder on the website.

Tops costs more than OA.