How do I gain good weight?

Options
Trying to gain weight, but the only way I could meet what I require is with eating something bad, just can't eat the calories I need, seems like so much food, and protein shakes not working for me. Getting frustrated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't eat mouldy food... other than that, no food is 'bad'
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If most of your diet is nutritious and you are getting adequate protein, fat, fibre etc. There is nothing wrong with treats or what have you to help you hit your calorie goal. You can reduce the amount of fat you gain when bulking by keeping your surplus lower to moderate and following a good lifting program.
    Check out this thread if you need help:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Add more calories into your diet slowly. I used to think I'd never eat 2000+ when I was losing and looking at maintenance in the future. But I increased bit by bit. Added a snack here and there helps. Spreading out the calories makes it easier.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Gaining "good weight" to me implies putting on muscle and minimal fat. This has nothing to do with food choices, but more to do with the size of your surplus and your training program.

If you struggle to eat enough, pick more calorie dense foods and drink calories between meals - make smoothies incorporating protein powder, and add fruit/vegies and some fat...
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Don't know what your eating, but I can easily hit 3500 cals on good food.
    you need to look at what GOOD FOOD as you say your eating. Like what protein shake? Musashi mas gain gives you 466 calories a serve.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Add more calories into your diet slowly. I used to think I'd never eat 2000+ when I was losing and looking at maintenance in the future. But I increased bit by bit.Added a snack here and there helps. Spreading out the calories makes it easier.

This is what I am doing. At first, I had a really hard time meeting my maintenance goals (which were ~1600). Now my MFP goal is 1840, but I can get up to about 2500, not including exercise. And I am eating according to an elimination diet for health in addition to low carb. Give me some peanut butter and cheese, I could easily hit ~3000 on a good day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Might help to know what good you prefer not to eat to help you add calories.

But as said previously, only bad food is spoiled food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All food is glorious if you are gaining. You get definition in the gym.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've been bouncing between maintenance and deficit (1800-2600) for two years now, and now that I've just recently decided I want and need a 3000k diet for my goals, I find myself feeling bloated throughout most of the day. However today I'm starting to feel slightly less of it, and I'm still on the same notch on my belt.

Anyways some of my favorite high calorie foods present and past are Peanut butter (moderation), Avocados, and Eggs. Damn I love fats.

seriously though it's all about the timing. Often I run a timer/stop watch on my iphone to remind myself to eat every 2.5 hours. Now if a person is trying to eat like Michael Phelps in training season than I have no idea. how to eat clean at that capacity. Perhaps maybe he eats 13 whoppers a day.