Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    I am normally a libertarian, but sugar is not any sort of essential nutrient and it is definitely addictive and abused which causes societal costs that we all bear. Alcohol and cigarettes are similar in that vane. I wouldn't be opposed to taxing sugar or HFCS.

sugar has never been found to be an addictive substance, never.

That's not true. Sugar has been found to be highly addictive in multiple studies. In brain scans it was shown to be as addictive as cocaine.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/13/sugar-addiction-like-drug-abuse-study-reveals/

Please find me a study on humans that has conclusive evidence that sugar is addictive.

and you get the same reaction in your brain to petting puppies as you do to sugar, so does that mean that petting puppies is addictive as cocaine.

Here you go. You may get the same type of reaction in brain by petting puppies..but the magnitude is far far lower. Just like the effects of paracetamol vs. Morphine. Yes both are analgesics, but paracetamol is not addictive like an opiate is.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am normally a libertarian, but sugar is not any sort of essential nutrient and it is definitely addictive and abused which causes societal costs that we all bear. Alcohol and cigarettes are similar in that vane. I wouldn't be opposed to taxing sugar or HFCS.

That's not true. Sugar has been found to be highly addictive in multiple studies. In brain scans it was shown to be as addictive as cocaine.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/13/sugar-addiction-like-drug-abuse-study-reveals/

Please find me a study on humans that has conclusive evidence that sugar is addictive.

and you get the same reaction in your brain to petting puppies as you do to sugar, so does that mean that petting puppies is addictive as cocaine.

Here you go. You may get the same type of reaction in brain by petting puppies..but the magnitude is far far lower. Just like the effects of paracetamol vs. Morphine. Yes both are analgesics, but paracetamol is not addictive like an opiate is.

Clearly, puppies need to be banned.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

No - this is misrepresentation of facts and misinformation. This simply stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain. You get the same response from any pleasurable stimulus such as a warm hug or petting puppies.
  • Macy9336
    Options

FFS, I really wish this misinterpretation would die. All that happened was that the same pleasure centers lit up between the two.

The difference is that after cocaine use, the centers dim out heavily, and repeated increased dosages are required to have the same effect, and eventually even gain normalcy. This is addiction/dependency.

This doesn't happen with sugar. Everything returns to baseline, and that's it. This is not addiction/dependency.

When was the last time you saw someone shoveling in spoonfuls of sugar? My guess is never. Handfuls of M&Ms though? Probably often.

I'm afraid that multiple scientists disagree with you, the brain does not return to baseline, it reduces dopamine receptors which mean more sugar is needed to get same "high" this kicks off cravings, etc etc just like with drugs. Please see abstract to study I posted.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

FFS, I really wish this misinterpretation would die. All that happened was that the same pleasure centers lit up between the two.

The difference is that after cocaine use, the centers dim out heavily, and repeated increased dosages are required to have the same effect, and eventually even gain normalcy. This is addiction/dependency.

This doesn't happen with sugar. Everything returns to baseline, and that's it. This is not addiction/dependency.

When was the last time you saw someone shoveling in spoonfuls of sugar? My guess is never. Handfuls of M&Ms though? Probably often.

I'm afraid that multiple scientists disagree with you, the brain does not return to baseline, it reduces dopamine receptors which mean more sugar is needed to get same "high" this kicks off cravings, etc etc just like with drugs. Please see abstract to study I posted.

I'm missing where that abstract shares the conclusion that sugar consumption reduces dopamine receptors.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

05ukr38bu0oa.png
  • Macy9336
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

So...why exactly does society bear this cost to begin with? This is anti-libertarian.

Society bears the cost of sugar and HFCS via government subsidies. Your taxes are paying for sugar and corn to be grown, increasing availability and artificially depressing the prices. This makes it cheap to use in food...and food companies like cheap ingredients. Society also bears the costs of the healthcare associated with sugar and HFC overconsumption...like type 2 diabetes..via higher health insurance premiums and higher Medicare/Medicaid costs.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

The full text is behind a paywall, and even the abstract seems to have some problems.

It states sugar-laden foods, not specifically sugar. As we all know, foods end up being greater or less than the sum of their parts, based upon several factors, including but not limited to: taste, smell, mouth feel, nutritional response, etc.

If you have access to the full text, I'd appreciate you sending it to me. I would be interested to see which foodstuffs were used for these things.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Clearly, puppies need to be banned.

Please don't tax my puppy petting!!!!!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

So...why exactly does society bear this cost to begin with? This is anti-libertarian.

Society bears the cost of sugar and HFCS via government subsidies. Your taxes are paying for sugar and corn to be grown, increasing availability and artificially depressing the prices. This makes it cheap to use in food...and food companies like cheap ingredients. Society also bears the costs of the healthcare associated with sugar and HFC overconsumption...like type 2 diabetes..via higher health insurance premiums and higher Medicare/Medicaid costs.

But -- presumably -- a libertarian would advocate for ending subsidies and making people bear the cost of their own healthcare instead of advocating for higher taxes on foods containing sugar or HFCS.

A libertarian state wouldn't have to worry about Medicare/Medicaid costs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bumping -- this is a better place for the effect of taxes on consumption (including of alcohol, I think) than the addiction thread. There may be others, this is the first one that came up.
    Good idea :)
    Personally I'd be in favour of some sort of government action regarding junk food in the US. For example, here in the UK we have a stoplight system on the nutritional information printed on food packages...if a food is high in salt, sugar, fat it'll have the grams printed in a red background with the %rdi...if its moderate, it'll be on a yellow background, if low, a green background. That way you can easily tell that your honey roasted peanuts are high in sugar, salt and fat without calculating grams and RDIs for your weight etc. Go here to see an example

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/food-labelling.aspx

I'd like to see this expanded to be included on restaurant menus, fast food joints..everywhere. Mostly because a lot of people are in the dark as to what is in their food. A quick stoplight chart lets people make quick informed decisions.

Another thing I'd like to see is no more advertising of junk food to children...period. Children don't stand a chance against the slick advertising campaigns.

Movies/Hollywood/Disney should not accept product placement of fast food or portray it as cool...just like we did with smoking.

Amusement parks, esp Disney should offer healthy choices to eat. I've been to Disney and there are NO healthy eating options anywhere. We were really miserable and hungry there as we do not eat fast food. It makes myself and my husband physically ill..vomiting..the work, so our kids have never eaten fast food their entire lives. I think anywhere that caters to kids should be required to offer a healthy option for every junk food option.

No more fast foods in schools..many US schools will have school lunches that are a rotating menu of Taco Bell, dominios, McDonalds, Arby's, etc. Every school should at least have a salad bar every day so kids can actually make a healthy food choice.

Additive chemicals need to be strictly regulated...no more adding chemicals to up the taste/addictiveness. They should only be for preservative purposes. Not for appearance, taste, texture.

I don't think fast food should be taxed, but I do think it should be regulated.

It is interesting that you couldn't find anything that was not fast food at Disney; I picked the first Magic Kingdom restaurant that caught my eye and found several options that would meet most reasonable definitions of a healthy, balanced meal, unless there is an odd medical condition in play:

Colony Salad - featuring Ocean Spray® Craisins® BRAND with Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood- smoked Cheddar, and Craisins® Dried Cranberries tossed with Field Greens in a Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette

Freedom Pasta with Grilled Chicken - Rigatoni Pasta with Sautéed Seasonal Vegetables tossed in a Cream Sauce

Freedom Pasta with Sautéed Shrimp - Rigatoni Pasta with Sautéed Seasonal Vegetables tossed in a Cream Sauce

New England Pot Roast - Our Tavern Keeper's Favorite...Braised Beef in a Cabernet Wine and Mushroom Sauce served with Mashed Potatoes and Garden Vegetables

Pilgrim's Feast - Traditional Roast Turkey served with Herb Bread Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, and a Garden Vegetable

The Vegetarian Proclamation - Roasted Seasonal Vegetables Sandwich, fresh Greens, and Tomatoes topped with a Tangy Vegan Mayonnaise Spread with fresh Fruit or Sweet Potato Fries

Of course, when we travel with our kids I make sure to always have healthy snacks stashed in my purse so we don't have to rely completely on options that don't meet my specifications as a parent. By the same token commercials aren't a problem in our house, because our children normally aren't exposed to them, have been taught to think critically about them, and when they see them will in general scoff at them.

We do invest a lot of time and energy in parenting (and effective research of restaurants) and would prefer not join in the screaming and dancing to have the government or media conglomerates do our parenting for us.

US schools are actually having a huge problem with mandated healthy options going straight into the trash--they are required to put very expensive fruits and vegetables on the tray, but many of the kids do not eat them.

We were there in 2005, so my Disney experience is probably out of date. Glad to see there is more choice now.
    I don't understand why you are viewing regulation of junk food as a parenting issue? Surely it's a public health issue to regulate it and the parenting comes in insofar as encouraging the kids to eat healthy.

I've heard about the kids not eating Ms Obamas healthier school lunches...surely that would be a parenting Issue? As in encouraging kids to eat healthy? Kids not eating healthy food is no reason to just throw up our hands and say let them eat cake, pizza, and French fries...and then ban all healthy options from schools.

Yes, an assessment that is 12 years out of date might not be the most useful example for making your point for your grievance.

I am viewing the *consumption* of junk food (and indeed all food) as a parenting issue; the more we have resilient, educated, empowered families and communities with strong NATURAL bonds to healthy food, such as learning about and taking pride in their traditional foodways, the less we have to have heavy-handed, obtuse regulations shoved down our throats.

School lunches are definitely a parenting AND educational issue. I am in charge of the vegetable garden at my kids' school, and can tell you from experience that kids will willingly eat all kinds of crazy things when they have grown and harvested it themselves, but will blow off or actively resist being nagged and forced to eat things just because the government or school says they must. Regarding the boldface, I am not sure where you are coming up with the argument that someone wants to ban healthy food from schools. This seems like a straw man, which is a logical fallacy.

Great point.

A public school near me (preK to 8th grade), which is admittedly much better-off than many in this school district (less than 18% low income vs. over 80%, the neighborhood is much less than 80% but it's a magnet school so also gets kids from all over), has a similar thing with the garden. Even more exciting are the gardening projects in the inner city, and seeing kids who are involved with it selling their produce at the green market.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

But -- presumably -- a libertarian would advocate for ending subsidies and making people bear the cost of their own healthcare instead of advocating for higher taxes on foods containing sugar or HFCS.

A libertarian state wouldn't have to worry about Medicare/Medicaid costs.

I'm not a libertarian at all, but yes, this seems obvious.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Also, I think the Government should stop subsidising food period. Now this article is a bit frothing at the mouth but just focus on the nine foods that are being subsidised...not a single vegetable is on there. The fact that some foods...grains, meat and dairy are being subsidised means food stuff derived from these are cheaper than they should be...thus the overuse of corn syrup, the overproduction of cheese resulting in marketing to get people to eat more cheese, etc. Wishfully, I'd like to see vegetables subsidised...but in lieu of that...stop subsidising and let the consumers decide what they want to eat instead of creating an over abundance of food stuffs that then get heavily used and marketed.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/03/the-9-foods-the-us-government-is-paying-you-to-eat.aspx

My favorite part of this Mercola article is that the entire last section is for shilling his book, with the six FREE!!!!! gifts (two of which are discounts, but FREE!!!! discounts). Commercials are the devil, but since this is integrated in the article, it's like research or something:

"Fat for Fuel' — My New Book to Help Fight Cancer

Arriving in May, the strategies I present in my newest book, "Fat for Fuel," are just too important for your health and well-being to set aside and “wait until the timing feels right.” You’re growing older each day. Your body is producing fewer mitochondria, so that puts you at a disadvantage right from the gate. Time really may not be on your side.

And even if you haven’t yet been diagnosed with cancer, you likely have cancer cells in your body right now. Just about everyone has at least some. It’s up to your body as to whether they’ll survive or succumb. I believe "Fat for Fuel" gives you your best fighting chance against cancer or any other chronic disease by repairing and renewing your mitochondria.

Why wait when you can start making powerful changes now in your mitochondrial health — changes that will have a ripple effect throughout your entire body? When you place your order today, I’m going to give you six FREE “thank-you” gifts.

Your very own sneak preview of "Fat for Fuel" — Books will be mailed starting May 16, but you won’t need to wait until yours arrives to get started. Begin reading my new book right away with your free sneak preview!
    20 percent OFF Cronometer Gold — Most experts agree that Cronometer is the best online nutrient tracker. It is free to all users and is invaluable for tracking your health progress.
    Fuel Up: A Healthy Meal Guide — This is a complete plan of healthy mouthwatering meals compiled by me and an assortment of nutritional experts to help you fuel up and burn fat for fuel.
    $15 OFF your next Mercola.com order — Depending on your order, your savings from this one bonus alone could more than cover the cost of your book!
    Online copy of my magazine — This is a free digital copy of my online magazine. It provides my tips and recommendations to optimize your health and nutrition.
    SMS Exclusive: My top interviews — Now all in one place, gain access to some of my top interviews of the last year and take your nutrition to the next level.

I like the warning that we likely have cancer in our bodies, even if we haven't "yet" been diagnosed. Subtle, yet effective.
  • Macy9336
    Options

The full text is behind a paywall, and even the abstract seems to have some problems.

It states sugar-laden foods, not specifically sugar. As we all know, foods end up being greater or less than the sum of their parts, based upon several factors, including but not limited to: taste, smell, mouth feel, nutritional response, etc.

If you have access to the full text, I'd appreciate you sending it to me. I would be interested to see which foodstuffs were used for these things.

This link should take you to the full text of the study. If not, go to research gate, search via author or title and it should let you download study in PDF without joining. It'll be a blue button in top right hand corner.
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Serge_Ahmed/publication/236967373_Sugar_addiction_Pushing_the_drug-sugar_analogy_to_the_limit/links/02e7e51dab5fbc2754000000/Sugar-addiction-Pushing-the-drug-sugar-analogy-to-the-limit.pdf.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Enough with the taxes already. People should exercise some self control and just don't eat it. It's that simple.

I would tend to agree, but with 70% of the US population obese or overweight, how's that working out?