Is there any lifting that helps to tighten the chest area for women?

Options
Bahamababygirl
Bahamababygirl Posts: 59 Member
?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    "Pectoral exercise won't firm breast tissue because it contains no muscles. Breasts are made up of fatty tissue and are thus immune to any weight-lifting routines you may have in mind. However, developing your pectorals with go a long way toward creating an upper body shape that eliminates sag and gives the impression of perky breasts."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/332034-weight-lifting-for-sagging-breasts/

If I'm wrong about what you mean by "tighten the chest" I apologize. :blush:

Urgh. If only! I have pretty decent pecs but that hasn't eliminated the other issue....it might make them look slightly bigger though?
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you work them and how heavy you go. I'd say light bench presses and dumbell butterfly's will definitely help tone them up.
  • Bahamababygirl
    Options
    "Pectoral exercise won't firm breast tissue because it contains no muscles. Breasts are made up of fatty tissue and are thus immune to any weight-lifting routines you may have in mind. However, developing your pectorals with go a long way toward creating an upper body shape that eliminates sag and gives the impression of perky breasts."

Urgh. If only! I have pretty decent pecs but that hasn't eliminated the other issue....it might make them look slightly bigger though?

I just want to make them look smaller and toned .
  • Bahamababygirl
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Depends on how much you work them and how heavy you go. I'd say light bench presses and dumbell butterfly's will definitely help tone them up.

I did the butterfly with 2.5 dumbells while doing zumba ,does that help too?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Heheh. I got my wife to start doing bench presses and db presses and flys with the "suggestion" that it would help this issue. Personally, I think it has made her look much better but I don't think there is anything a woman can really do if she is well endowed. Time and gravity are much more the enemy of women than men... although the older us men get the longer our shorts need to be. :wink:
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    yes any exercise that focus's on the chest area will help. Butterfly's esp.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Heheh. I got my wife to start doing bench presses and db presses and flys with the "suggestion" that it would help this issue. Personally, I think it has made her look much better but I don't think there is anything a woman can really do if she is well endowed. Time and gravity are much more the enemy of women than men... although the older us men get the longer our shorts need to be. :wink:

My issue is having lost all my boobs during weight loss. I can almost look completely flat chested in the right crop top! My pecs are the only thing that remotely help...
  • Bahamababygirl
    Options
    sorry to hear
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    "lift" tape...
  • Bahamababygirl
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    "Pectoral exercise won't firm breast tissue because it contains no muscles. Breasts are made up of fatty tissue and are thus immune to any weight-lifting routines you may have in mind.

^^^^ THIS!
    "However, developing your pectorals with go a long way toward creating an upper body shape that eliminates sag and gives the impression of perky breasts."

You breasts might appear bigger or perkier if you increase the size of your pectorals, but that will depend on where your breasts fall. I have a visible "bump" from my pecs, but my my breast tissue is low enough that I have a bump from my pecs, and then my boobs well below it. It's not what most people would consider aesthetically pleasing.

Also, "light lifting" is going to do little to nothing to build muscle. A lot of women probably get more muscle activation carrying their purse than a 2 pound dumbbell is going to give them.

Really?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I just want to make them look smaller and toned .

You can't tone your boobs. Lose fat to make them smaller. And probably saggier.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    A good bra.
  • cassglass
    cassglass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A bra is your best bet. We all have to learn to love our bodies as they are. They are miracles no matter what. There are just times when nothing we do will change what is.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    "Pectoral exercise won't firm breast tissue because it contains no muscles. Breasts are made up of fatty tissue and are thus immune to any weight-lifting routines you may have in mind.

^^^^ THIS!
    "However, developing your pectorals with go a long way toward creating an upper body shape that eliminates sag and gives the impression of perky breasts."

You breasts might appear bigger or perkier if you increase the size of your pectorals, but that will depend on where your breasts fall. I have a visible "bump" from my pecs, but my my breast tissue is low enough that I have a bump from my pecs, and then my boobs well below it. It's not what most people would consider aesthetically pleasing.

Also, "light lifting" is going to do little to nothing to build muscle. A lot of women probably get more muscle activation carrying their purse than a 2 pound dumbbell is going to give them.

Really?

Yes, really. This is all of the truth.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I mean...boobs are fat. You can't expect much from lifting. That said, I bench press 3x per week and I have a small chest, but I have like...pec cleavage. I like it.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I mean...boobs are fat. You can't expect much from lifting. That said, I bench press 3x per week and I have a small chest, but I have like...pec cleavage. I like it.

Not all boobs are only fat. Female breasts are composed of fat and gland tissue. If they were only fat, women could not breast feed their children.

Age, hormonal changes, and size of the breast have a lot to do on how they look and how much they drop after losing wt or just by getting older. No exercise will change that.

Pec exercises will help the upper part of the chest but will not affect the breast tissue. A good bra will do wonders.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Not all boobs are only fat. Female breasts are composed of fat and gland tissue. If they were only fat, women could not breast feed their children.

Age, hormonal changes, and size of the breast have a lot to do on how they look and how much they drop after losing wt or just by getting older. No exercise will change that.

Pec exercises will help the upper part of the chest but will not affect the breast tissue. A good bra will do wonders.

Ah thanks! Even when I typed that I was thinking breasts can't be JUST fat
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Breast tissue isn't muscle. It's fat & glands. If you want to be smaller then losing fat *might* be the answer if your breasts have a lot of fat.
    Doing chest exercises, like chest press or flyes can build up the pecs underneath the breasts but won't do anything to the breast tissue itself.
    Light weights, like 2.5 lbs are pretty useless unless you are very weak and/or doing physical therapy for an injury.
    A bag of groceries or small child weighs more than that. Lifting is effective when it challenges your muscles.