BMI or Physical Appearance?

Options
What do you prefer to follow between the two? I want to know and share your thoughts about the topic thanks :)

Replies

• crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I go by weight/bmi. The only reason I lost the extra weight was to normalize a high glucose number and I have several years of data now that show the lower weight I am, the better my glucose number is. My maintenance range is 125lbbs-130lbs and that keeps my glucose number in the 80s.

Appearance wise-didn't mind what I looked like 50lbs heavier, still don't really care now 50lbs lighter. I'm still me, just with different sized clothes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Physique/appearance. I can't see my weight in the mirror every day.

... That, and bmi is ridiculous for people with any decent amount of muscle.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Appearance, body fat percentage and health markers.

It just so happens that, at least for me, they coincide with being within the "healthy" BMI range (albeit near the top of it).
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    BMI is fine for most people unless they weight train.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    BF, WT & appearance.

I don't put too much stock in BMI, which is supposed to be a proxy for BF but with 10% BF (measured hydrostatically) my BMI is only 24 (hi normal) while 10% BF is considered lean and athletic. So, BMI is pfettu irrelevant to mr.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the higher end of my BMI, I'm starting to feel chunky, as in my profile pic. I am not concerned about health because I know I'm fit, but yeah...physique at the higher end is not tight lol.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Both. Healthy BMI and a healthy outward appearance, are both optimal. Our hearts are only designed to pump blood through a body of a pretty particular size. If you are BMI 29 of solid muscle, you're still medically overweight even though you might "look nice". Like wise you can be BMI 23 but "skinny fat" with out much muscle mass.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Me? BMI, that's what I'm going for. I'm only really concerned about the health benefits.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It was BMI at first so that I reached that particular goal my doctor said would be ideal.

I will be 49 soon, over all health an wellness are primary focal points. I train for certain physical activities so performance is important as well. The bonus side you get to enhance your physical appearance and I do enjoy the process of building muscle and being stronger as well.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I prefer appearance (and health) over BMI after all, no one follows me around with a scale. Technically, according to my BMI I'm "under weight" but I'm still not happy with my appearance so I'm working to build muscle.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I go by appearance and health.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd be comfortable being above a normal BMI...I don't have an especially broad build so I know 25+ BMI would be too high for me. That being said, I picked my goal weight based on what I know I can realistically maintain long term and also a weight that means most of the clothes I own fit perfectly (a little lower and they get big, heavier and they get tight.)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While I would mostly go with physical appearance, for my body and build I really can't see it going outside the BMI range.