BMI or Physical Appearance?

Options
124»

Replies

• edwilts
    edwilts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My BMI told me I was obese. It was right. I dropped 50 lbs (more than I hoped for!), am well under the top of my normal BMI range, and I look and feel a lot better. Am I perfect? Long way from it, but it took me 40 years to get here and don't expect perfection in 6 months. If I didn't drop another ounce and continued to look the same, I'd be okay with that even though I know I could do better if I worked at it (and I am still working at it). Continuous improvement is the key if you have the time and willingness.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, even at my heaviest (outside of pregnancy), I was only 1 lb above "Normal" BMI range so I definitely go by appearance and physical fitness. I've never had my body fat percentage tested but I'm sure it was above the "acceptable" range even at the top of the Normal BMI range. (Even at a BMI of 20, my body fat percentage is in the "acceptable" range.)
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Appearance for me. The difference in BMI by my "I look awesome!" weight (21.6), my "I look fine" weight (23.2) and my "Ugh, I look fat and frumpy) (24.9) are all "healthy " BMIs (granted, no3 is the last healthy one before "overweight", but still). I'm trying to recomp now, so I imagine my weight will stay the same or even increase a pound or two, but my appearance will improve with more muscle.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    For me it's better to go by weight/BMI; it helped me get out of denial to realize I was well into the overweight range for my height. When I was at my heaviest, almost 20 lbs more than I am now (at 5' tall) I still thought I looked about the same as I do now, so I don't think it's easy for me to be objective about my appearance.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I want to feel comfortable and happy again. Not sure what that falls under, looks wise I'm kind of scared I won't be as pretty as I am now. I'm probably in the minority or just spent a lot of years seeing the same general appearance.
  • x_desertcolt_x
    x_desertcolt_x Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    mine is 31ish
  • lasvegasconcertgirl
    lasvegasconcertgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can throw me in the appearance (and health) column.