Losing 30 pounds in 3 months?

Options
I'm informed about limiting yourself to 2 pounds a week but I'm 210 pounds with an estimated 30% body fat. Is it possible for me to lose 30 pounds in 3 months if I keep track of everything and exercise a good amount?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose a lot of muscle, sure
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Probably. If you're a male at 30%, you could aim for between 1-2lbs per week.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    age n height n gender?
    have u ever exercise before?
    were u ever on MFP before?
    have u ever calorie count before?
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started at 279 lbs I'm 5 feet 10 inches tall. I started this journey on April 13th and I've lost 23 lbs so far. I eat about 200-250 less calories than MFP allows me. Which means I take in about 1200 calories on average. I'm not hungry at the end of the day. Just bored with what I'm eating sometimes.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sophie7591 wrote: »
    I started at 279 lbs I'm 5 feet 10 inches tall. I started this journey on April 13th and I've lost 23 lbs so far. I eat about 200-250 less calories than MFP allows me. Which means I take in about 1200 calories on average. I'm not hungry at the end of the day. Just bored with what I'm eating sometimes.

thanks for the stats. it is possible but u shouldnt set ur expectation that high. if u lose 20 to 22 lbs then it is still a job well done .

start exercising n pick something non impact like lane swimming, aqua aerobics, and/or weight training. start with 3 or 4 times a week (2 x weight n 2 x other stuff is most likely best for u rigjt now) ONLY eat back half of the calories u burned at most. at 1200, u most likely need to eat back some of those calories u burned. plz dont count on miracles but sometimes 1 + 1 = 3 if u do it right (ive seen it happened with 200+ lbs people enough to know)

good luck!
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you want to lose a lot of muscle, sure

^^^^^
    What Malibu said. 210 to 180 isn't a (relatively) lot to lose. 10lbs/month is dangerously aggressive weight loss that will likely bounce right back after the 3 months are over, and then you'll be back to trying all over again. It'd be easier and take less time if you lost at a more reasonable rate (1% of body weight-ish) to start with.

Agreed-and just so we're clear, in case you're thinking you're cool with the muscle loss, please be aware that your heart is a muscle.

Are you actually saying that the human body will consume its own heart to keep the body fat?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I did at about that BMI. It slows down the closer you get to normal. I didn't do anything dangerous or unsustainable.
  • TacheNoir
    TacheNoir Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did it last year with keto, which is a muscle-sparing woe.

I'm currently keto-adapted with a slightly higher protein intake to protect muscle gains. I eat ~1100 a day (high fat, moderate protein), lift 3 times a week, and EC stack with excellent results. Very pleased with the way body recomposition is going, and my energy level is through the roof. Only unpleasant side effect is bewb soreness :(

• ColdBalls
    ColdBalls Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe it is possible with the right advice.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I only lost that fast when I was over 400. While it's possible to, I probably wouldn't advise it. What's the rush of trying to shoot for 3 months besides it sounding impressive? 12-24lbs in 3 months is still an amazing loss and a bit more manageable. Good luck.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Nope, you're wrong. The body will not destroy vital organ tissue first. Obese people on a highly restricted diet saw less than 25% loss of muscle, none in vital organs, and people who performed resistance training saw no muscle loss at all. Instead of the body destroying vital tissue to rebuild muscles being worked, it will simply delay or slow the repair of those worked muscle groups so that recovery takes longer.

I feel like you & tomteboda both said essentially the same thing...
    "It is a matter of being unable to synthesize protein to repair tissue fast enough under high caloric stress situations."
    :/
  • snowkittn
    snowkittn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have healthily lost 54+ lbs in ~6 months. 30 is a little ambitious, but having a goal is super.
    Eat sensibly, portion food properly. Weigh EVERYTHING. Don't over-restrict. Resistance and bodyweiught exercises are amazing.
    Remember: It's not a race. But losing *some* is much better than losing none. <3
  • ScottishRob1
    ScottishRob1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and started out at nearly 270, I lost 30 pounds in the first 3 months and that came off pretty easy with just eating right, no exercise. Since then, I have cut back to about a pound a week and I exercise, and I feel great. Almost 40 pounds so far, 30 to go. So that initial 30 was about 40% of my overall goal. But I know that things are definitely different for us guys. Weight loss is a sexist beast for sure.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Nope, you're wrong. The body will not destroy vital organ tissue first. Obese people on a highly restricted diet saw less than 25% loss of muscle, none in vital organs, and people who performed resistance training saw no muscle loss at all. Instead of the body destroying vital tissue to rebuild muscles being worked, it will simply delay or slow the repair of those worked muscle groups so that recovery takes longer.

I feel like you & tomteboda both said essentially the same thing...
    "It is a matter of being unable to synthesize protein to repair tissue fast enough under high caloric stress situations."
    :/

Sort of, however she's claiming the body will take protein (muscle) from the heart, thus weakening the heart, to restore other muscles in the body, and this is clearly not supported by any medical studies I've read. The human body will not weaken vital organs to repair non vital muscles. When a person gets to the point that his or her body is beginning to consume vital organs for survival that person will most likely be in a hospital.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I went from 214 at Christmas to 185 at the end of March and successfully trained for my first Ironman 70.3 race. Adopted principally a vegan diet, with the exception of a morning whey protein smoothie, minor amounts of other dairy, and fish once every 1-2 weeks. Consistently lost about 2 pounds/week. I figured 1 pound diet and one pound from all the training volume.