Losing 30 pounds in 3 months?

Options
13»

Replies

• jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried topomax or phentermine for weight loss before ?

the side effects alone would be the reason I would NOT take a medication I DO NOT need in order to lose weight. The list for both meds are LONG and ridiculous!

There is no real "quick fix". You need to put in the work. Even if you were to get some type of weight loss surgery, you still need to put in the work both physically and mentally.

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can safely and preserve most -if not all- of your muscle mass while properly dieting IF you are performing heavy weight training and are also getting enough protein in your diet. Heavy in this context is around 5RM.
    Since many people are adverse to weight training, don't eat enough protein, and would rather do cardio they often lose muscle mass while "dieting".

The odds are you are currently getting less than 1/2 of the protein you would need for weight training (based on national averages) and that you don't even know any of the recommended barbell compound lifts.

So if you dedicate your time to learning what you need to do and doing all of it, you might have time to come close to your goal but I don't know if you will make the number you are aiming for.
    It depends on how hard you work more than anything.

That being said, you will likely be shocked and pleased with what you can do in 3 months (12 weeks) if you put in sufficient effort into an effective routine.

No, lifting heavy weights will not make you "bulky". It will make you look thinner, leaner, stronger and sexier than ever.
    I'm a guy and most guys agree on many of the attributes they find truly sexy when it comes to a woman's physique.
    If you are in doubt, consider what the scantily-clad women in magazines like Maxim, Muscle and Fitness, Ironman, etc. look like and why they are airbrushed to look that way.
    I am not saying you need to aspire to that or base your body image on it, but that using the fear of getting "bulky" as an excuse to not lift weights is BS.

@jilleebee77 is correct. People often want to take Rx because they are looking for shortcuts; they don't want to make the necessary lifestyle changes or do the necessary work.
    They risk serious, potentially deadly side-effects as a result.
  • GingersnapMI
    GingersnapMI Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried topomax or phentermine for weight loss before ?

You will find much animosity toward prescription weight loss drugs on these boards, but you must do what works for you. You and your doctor are well capable of making an informed decision. Be sure to discuss the possible side effects. ALL medications can have nasty side effects... sometimes it's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils: a lifetime of obesity because you've been unable to make any significant progress without pharmaceutical help, or the possibility of some significant medication side effects.

I am currently using phentermine. After much discussion with my doctor, we decided to give it a go. Luckily, I am a person that tolerates just about any medication well, I have no history of significant side effects from any med. My doctor is willing to prescribe it TEMPORARILY and I have to call him every month to report my weight and blood pressure. I found that taking it daily caused constipation and now dose myself as follows- day one: whole pill, days two and three: half pill... and repeat that pattern. This, combined with 1/2 scoop Miralax daily, is working well. (I tried Benefiber first but it didn't do a thing.) This pattern is curbing my hunger just enough to make it manageable. No problems with my blood pressure... in fact, it's gone DOWN recently and I've been able to successfully reduce my lisinopril from 20mg to 10mg. :smile: I've lost 41 pounds since December 2016.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone would want to lose 10 pounds a month. Please follow the recommendation provided to you of 2 pounds instead. Good luck!!