Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    What are your favorite Aussie sayings, slang or idioms?

My favourite Aussie wording is how we'll always say the opposite of what we mean. Example:

If you're having a bad day...
    "How's it goin'?"
    "Not to good mate, not to good."

If you're having a good day...
    "How's it goin'?"
    "Aw yeah, not too bad"

It's like we can't be completely committed to if it's a good or bad day until it's over.

Was hoping for something more colorful like "He needs that like a 3rd armpit"

Oh, like "nah, I'd rather have another gordon and gotch, so I don't have to go back to the trouble and strife"?

Yes but please explain the meaning behind the sayings.... :#

I'm going to have another drink so I don't have to go home to my wife.

This is the lingo of my mum n dad's generation; you don't hear too many speaking it these days. It's called rhyming slang.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    what is an aussie kiss?

According to Urban Dictionary, it's a French kiss down under...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    As an Australian, I notice a difference in accents between states - any other Aussies notice? (i think Eastern States accents sound more stereotypically Australian)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    what is an aussie kiss?

According to Urban Dictionary, it's a French kiss down under...

is that keith urban's dictionary?

He's from new Zealand, probably doesn't know what a dictionary is ;)
  • Dyl1789
    Dyl1789 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    He's from my home town, I know his cousin, and yes, we know what dictionaries are
  • Dyl1789
    Dyl1789 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    Nichole Kidman, she is actually American, born in Hawaii
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Dyl1789 wrote: »
    Nichole Kidman, she is actually American, born in Hawaii

She was born in Hawaii, to Australian parents....
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Are you afraid of all the deadly wildlife that lives near you? I mean spiders mainly. I hate those darn things, throw deadly bites n stings in the mix and I'm done. I'd literally be petrified all the time if I was in Oz

how many spiders and snakes do you see in a day/month/year? Since I have never lived outside australia I have no way to know if austalia is overrun by snakes and spiders or if people out side australia are believing a lie.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    So not true! I asked a kiwi friend of mine "What's a Hindu?" and he said "Lays eggs bro!"

that is terrible
  • Merkavar
    Options
    As an Australian, I notice a difference in accents between states - any other Aussies notice? (i think Eastern States accents sound more stereotypically Australian)

I have never heard someone speak and thought, oh you are from western australia etc

In regards to aussie accents, i actually hear that there is a real lack of regional accents, especially compared to places like the US or UK when it seems 20 metres down the road and you have a nearly different language.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I have never heard someone speak and thought, oh you are from western australia etc

In regards to aussie accents, i actually hear that there is a real lack of regional accents, especially compared to places like the US or UK when it seems 20 metres down the road and you have a nearly different language.

Yeah..I feel the same..I can't say I can tell a difference between east and west. Maybe if I was in a job where I hear both every day I might.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Are you afraid of all the deadly wildlife that lives near you? I mean spiders mainly. I hate those darn things, throw deadly bites n stings in the mix and I'm done. I'd literally be petrified all the time if I was in Oz

how many spiders and snakes do you see in a day/month/year? Since I have never lived outside australia I have no way to know if austalia is overrun by snakes and spiders or if people out side australia are believing a lie.

Snakes... Rarely. Spiders, commonly, but just normal harmless ones. Harmful ones (like redbacks) occasionally. It'd be more if you lived out in the bush though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Yeah..I feel the same..I can't say I can tell a difference between east and west. Maybe if I was in a job where I hear both every day I might.

I noticed it more when I lived in the UK. Hearing accents on public transport was eye-opening, and often cringe worthy!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options

I live where its semi rural for 6 months of the year . I usually see a couple of redbellies and browns(snakes) each summer ..
    Redbacks (spiders)seem to be under nearly every lawn chair outside lol. We spray regularly..Ive only seen 1 funnelweb spider my whole life.
    But to be honest you don't think about it. Though Im not afraid of snakes at all so that helps.
    The other 6 months I spend in the tropical north, I think the worst we have is crocs in the rivers and at certain times irukandji (type of box jellyfish) ..

• bigaussieguy71
    bigaussieguy71 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Can you talk about the amount of protein in drop bears?

Beer is Australia's "super food" it has every nutrient you need for a healthy lifestyle (and gut)

Lol see we Aussie's love beer so much I read that as "drop of beer"

Drop Bears, very dangerous animals, can attack at anytime and will rip your jugular out... everyone, including scientists are scared s#*tless of them so no real in-depth studies have ever been conducted.
  • bigaussieguy71
    Options

They are not as widely used anymore but some of my old favourites are as follows:

"About as useful as a hat full of arseholes"

"Flat out like a lizard drinking" (my dad's favourite)

"Tell im he's dreamin!"

"Face like a smashed mango/crab

"Nah she'll be right mate (export light mate)"

Some idioms

We shorten everything i.e. afternoon = Arvo
    We have Mondie, tuesdie, wendsdie etc...

Word differences

Fanny is NOT a butt in Australia if you are an American woman and you tell a bloke that he can put it in your "fanny pack" it's basically in invitation for sex...

How's that for a few?
  • bigaussieguy71
    Options
    bobtater1 wrote: »
    So does kangaroo taste like chicken? Anything out of the ordinary here in the States we say tastes like chicken ie dog,cat, rattlesnake, ect.

No, nothing like chicken. It's red meat, with a strong taste. It kind of stinks actually, but it's ok when cooked in to things. I'm not a massive fan of it cooked as a steak

Spot on, a full Roo steak is a lot to get through, I love the kebabs...it does smell a little and it is very gamey. If you don't like steak rare/medium rare then don't bother trying it...cooking it past that the meat becomes tough as old boots.
  • bigaussieguy71
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Vinehausen wrote: »

My favourite Aussie wording is how we'll always say the opposite of what we mean. Example:

If you're having a bad day...
    "How's it goin'?"
    "Not to good mate, not to good."

If you're having a good day...
    "How's it goin'?"
    "Aw yeah, not too bad"

It's like we can't be completely committed to if it's a good or bad day until it's over.

We New Zealanders won't commit to a yes or no answer to questions i.e:
    Q: "Are you enjoying that beer bro?"
    A: "Yeah nah" OR "Nah yeah".

:D

Typical... Kiwis jumping in to something Australian... Still it's to be expected, we can't keep them from coming into our country so we have no chance keeping them out of a MFP thread... bwhahahaha
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Can you talk about the amount of protein in drop bears?

Beer is Australia's "super food" it has every nutrient you need for a healthy lifestyle (and gut)

Lol see we Aussie's love beer so much I read that as "drop of beer"

as my sister says "a steak in every can"
  • bigaussieguy71
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Is it legal to wear kangaroo leather jackets ?

I had a pair of Adidas kangaroo football cleats once; they were awesome

Probably. They sell kangaroo ball coin purses in tourist shops...

I gave a Roo sack to an American friend and told him our leather workers in Australia have perfected seamless leatherwork..he was amazed! Hahaha