Protein Shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I didn't read all of that but you know TDEE includes exercise. I don't see how 2 pounds per week is aggressive. She weighs 245 pounds.

Yes, I assumed no exercise because no details about that were given (unless I missed it). You're right, TDEE usually assumes exercise, the OP will need to use the calculator and add in exercise to get the correct numbers. I used her stats as an example without exercise to calculate daily protein at a rate of .9g/lb of target body weight. It was an example. If you assume that she does not do any exercise, she would need to deduct an average of 1000 calories a day to lose 2lb per week. That would drop her daily calorie intake to less than 1200 calories a day (again, assuming no exercise factored in). Granted, if she exercised enough she could bump that number up, but it would be better, again in my opinion only, to max out at a 1lb per week deficit then increase the deficit over time with exercise. It would be easier to maintain. It's not about losing weight as quick as possible, it's about losing weight and keeping it off long term, well it is for me anyway.

• cindyo1974
    cindyo1974 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your valued words. Spliner1969 I will take your advice and yes 1lb a week is my goal for now as I am just starting and I will be doing some excercising, I am thinking 4x a week for about n 1hr. I have another ? U said about 169ish in protein would that be the same for my short term goal of 200lbs be the same ?
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Same, yes. You can also do less. As a girl you typically need less protein than a man. The old rule of 1g/lb of protein is usually for someone trying to build muscle, which means either at maintenance level of calories or in surplus. Losing weight is neither, it's a calorie deficit so it's going to be tough to build any significant muscle, if any. The added protein over what MFP sets as a default is what most of us use to try and lessen the loss of muscle while dieting. A simple way to calculate it is take your goal weight and multiply it by the number of grams per pound you want. Most calculators aside from the body building ones will set you at .8g/lb, and since your ultimate goal is 190 lbs, .8 x 190 = 152. You'll find lots of varying information out there, it's up to you which you choose to use. I'm also no expert. Really the only upper limit of protein is your calorie goal. As long as you stay at or under your daily calorie goal you've set for 1lb/wk loss eat as much as you can tolerate. I usually strive for somewhere between 150-175g of protein a day. I'm 6'2" tall, 190lbs. Tonight, pre-logging all my food, I expect somewhere in the tune of 200g of protein. Yesterday I only hit 172. I typically find it easy to hit my goals because of the protein isolate shakes I drink for breakfast. It's a 60g boost.

There are going to be days you don't meet your goal and that's ok. There will be other days you'll go over on protein (or other macros). For weight loss the one to watch is the calories not the macros, the macros are always secondary, although they are important for healthy weight loss.

Here's my 90-day protein report (as you can see I'm usually over, but sometimes under my goal):

i2ivhpamtteb.jpg
  • cindyo1974
    cindyo1974 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you so so much I really appreciate it. Ok if I do only 1 protein shake a day,which would u recommend for me ?
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    cindyo1974 wrote: »
    Thank you thank you so so much I really appreciate it. Ok if I do only 1 protein shake a day,which would u recommend for me ?

Whichever you can find at your local store that you like. Having said that I prefer Whey Isolate for a couple of reasons. It's lower calorie, and has almost no lactose. A third bonus is that it's absorbed faster because the protein is isolated from the milk solids. Take a look at your health section in your local grocery store and see what they carry. The brand I use most frequently (because it's readily available and cheap) is Body Fortress Whey Isolate chocolate or vanilla. It's available at just about any Wal-Mart for about $19 a tub. Lasts me about a week or a bit longer. If I had my choice, and wanted to wait on it to get here from Amazon I would probably choose Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Isolate. But I take the easy route most of the time and buy the Body Fortress brand.