Do you not keep certain foods around?

Options
Do you have foods that are too much of a trigger/temptation so you just don't keep them around the house? I understand eating in moderation and no foods are truly off limits with counting calories. But do you personally find it helpful to keep certain foods out of your house?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    So many sweets. Ice cream (hubby's weakness) as well as cookies, snack cakes, etc (my weakness)...and we have to be careful about what chocolate we have on hand. Fun size Snickers or Kit Kat? NO. Nutella? Generally no...that's gotta be for a recipe or specific meal usage, like banana hazelnut crepes once a year. Semisweet baking chips? Sure. Nice blocks of better quality dark chocolate? Yes, often, we can control ourselves with that.

Nothing else poses an issue though. We're both sweets freaks.
  • Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can't have chips/crisps, sweet junk food, or things like pizza rolls in the house. I binge them baaaaaad.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I used to have to eliminate things from the house. Now, well, my diet could probably use fewer cookies but whatever.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In 3+ years I have only had to ban one thing...... but I'd probably be ok now as I have new habits.
    Peanut butter (or any nut butter for that matter).
    One teaspoon leads to two... three... four... half a jar!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I used to buy huge boxes of 48 Nature Valley bars from Sam's Club. Kind bars also. Yeah, ummmm, that was a bad idea. Those things just taste too dang good too keep around in mass quantity. Quest Bars I can keep around because they are about like chewing on road tar and I just eat them for their ability to hold me over. I do buy those in bulk :smile:

I ration the Nature Valley bars. One crumbled on my Greek yogurt and grapes six days out of seven for breakfast.

Forgot to mention I don't buy many vegetable dips anymore. I am perfectly capable of sitting with a pint of cherry tomatoes and a sliced English cuke and dunking them into a container of chipotle dip (a local deli makes it. It's probably mayo with chipotle blended in) until the veggies or dip are totally consumed. It wouldn't be terrible if my husband ate it too, but he doesn't like spicy the way I do.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    There are certain cereals that I will eat the box in a sitting so I just don't buy them anymore
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    We buy so many things in bulk (rice, lentils, beans, spices, certain produce & even cheese) but when it comes to anything sweet we're more likely to be out at an ice cream shop paying full price for 1 scoop. My husband always says that one pint is a serving and Halo Top just won't cut it.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I used to buy huge boxes of 48 Nature Valley bars from Sam's Club. Kind bars also. Yeah, ummmm, that was a bad idea. Those things just taste too dang good too keep around in mass quantity. Quest Bars I can keep around because they are about like chewing on road tar and I just eat them for their ability to hold me over. I do buy those in bulk :smile:

I ration the Nature Valley bars. One crumbled on my Greek yogurt and grapes six days out of seven for breakfast.

Forgot to mention I don't buy many vegetable dips anymore. I am perfectly capable of sitting with a pint of cherry tomatoes and a sliced English cuke and dunking them into a container of chipotle dip (a local deli makes it. It's probably mayo with chipotle blended in) until the veggies or dip are totally consumed. It wouldn't be terrible if my husband ate it too, but he doesn't like spicy the way I do.

Oh yes, sweet and salty cashew nature valley bars crushed up and topped on yogurt is pure heaven. Though I was just about certain I was not the only person on the planet that had that idea, and now my hunch is confirmed :) Kind makes bags of clusters that are similarly wonderful for this purpose. The peanut butter is a fav. 120 cals per 1/4 cup, which is more than adaquate for single serving yogurt cups
  • ladyrkill
    ladyrkill Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Chips and ice cream are always my downfall so I am trying very hard not to have them in the house anymore. Whenever I was bored or going through a stressful time I would sit on the couch and munch on a bag of low sodium kettle chips the entire day!!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Crisps. I can't really buy multipacks, or I'll eat them all, or at least 2 or 3 packs. So when I feel like crisps, I'll usually buy a singular pack. If I keep any foods in my room other than dry stuff (I'm a student, my shared kitchen is very small and doesn't fit everything in) I'll just eat it. Jam is my undoing, too. I'll eat it out of the jar. With a spoon. Sigh.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Crackers. Chips. Peanut butter. Red meat. White bread. Cheese.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    All kinds of whole nuts. Oddly, nut butters are fine. Peanut butter can sit in the fridge for weeks and separate before I feel like having some. That's why I buy the smallest containers of it or make my own in smaller quantities.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Well I figured out yesterday that I can't keep leftover chow mein in the house.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Candy. I will eat it, and I don't have brakes. If it's there it will get eaten until it is gone.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Chicken livers. I am so addicted to chicken livers. Help.

I do appreciate a fine pate...