Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Shin splints

I joined the gym 4 weeks ago! I'm only able to go 3 times a week so I try to fit in as much as I can, I've been running/jogging on the treadmill for past few weeks but this week my shins are really sore so I've had to just brisk walk on an incline but I really would like to run... Any advice on recovery and how to get back to normal. :(

Replies

• FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Too much too soon... Slow it down. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I joined the gym 4 weeks ago! I'm only able to go 3 times a week so I try to fit in as much as I can, I've been running/jogging on the treadmill for past few weeks but this week my shins are really sore so I've had to just brisk walk on an incline but I really would like to run... Any advice on recovery and how to get back to normal. :(

Ease into it.

Did you get fit for appropriate running shoes?
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    What kind of 'sore' is it? The actual shin bone hurts? The whole leg feels tight? An ache?

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Have you tried running outside? I can run for miles outside, but after about a mile on the treadmill my shins are killing me...so I run outside. When I've experienced this pain from treadmill running, I've been able to recover by giving my shins about a week of rest.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Patience.
    Shin splits are an extremely common injury when people start running.
    If you cut back the amount of time you are running, and the distance, for a while, they will heal gradually. Then you can ramp the mileage back up.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    @TeacupsAndToning - shin splint expert
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2017
    This same thing happened to me. I had the stamina, but my shins were KILLING ME...so unfair. I can never think of doing a marathon with this type of issue/pain. Arrrrgggggggggggh!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Using a foam roller on either side of the shin bone helps too!
  • mkeonem
    mkeonem Posts: 41 Member
    I have had this issue on and off for as long as I remember. Even in HS when I was on the soccer team. One thing that I have found that has helped all but alleviate the pain is some stretches of my calves after a little warming up but before actually going on a walk/jog. This, along with proper rest and not doing too much too soon definitely helped me. I don't have the pain like I used to and it is great to finally be able to walk/jog as I enjoy doing both.

What I do is stand on a step as if I am walking up them, making sure there is a railing or something nearby to hold on to for balance should I need it. Then I ease my heel off the step till I am just on the ball of my foot. One side at a time I will slowly lower my heel as far as I can, feeling the stretch in my calf, and the pop back up--not fast but not as slowly as I lowered myself. I repeat this 10X on each side and then go on with my walk/jog. HTH
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I'll echo the common advice above, pull back and let yourself ease into the running volume.

Stretch your calves a lot after each run. Not just immediately after but throughout the day. It helped me a ton. (Also, make sure you get fit for good dedicated running shoes).

• If you haven’t run like this before, this is the body’s reaction to the discomfort. You need to take it slow - perhaps run every three days and focus on other core cardio machines like spinning bikes or stairmasters.

And you need to exercise daily. Three days a week - you are putting the body on a shock-rest schedule. You need to shock it more so that it will ramp up the readiness to exercise.

You don't need to exercise daily.

I have a busy schedule with a toddler as a single parent etc so 3 days is all I can do in the gym if I could do more I would. I walk with the pram on the other days but I dont feel like it's enough.
  • STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    This same thing happened to me. I had the stamina, but my shins were KILLING ME...so unfair. I can never think of doing a marathon with this type of issue/pain. Arrrrgggggggggggh!

Yeah its so frustrating I game myself up ready to run and as soon as I start i have to stop.. x
  • tracylp6178
    tracylp6178 Posts: 70 Member
    Dr scholls has a shoe insert for shin splints. I had the same problem but the insert helped so much. Give them a try
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    OP, did you get fit for shoes?

did you use C25K to start running? if you are ok with walking a lot then its probably just a case of getting your body used to the running so intervals would probably help. also, as others have mentioned, are you stretching properly?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Shoes. Go to a good running store, get a gait analysis done and buy based on their recommendation. Yes they will be pricey. Do this before anything else.

The other advice is good, and I don't mean to downplay it, but if you want to run, start with the right pair of shoes.