Deadlift for beginner

Options
I’m thinking of deadlifting. I’ve looked up information on correct form and all, but I’m curious about how much weight to start with. My upper body isn’t very strong. I can only bench like 35 pounds. But I know lifting that way is different. What do you recommend? I’m lifting to lose weight.

Replies

• draftsman28
    draftsman28 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Start light and perfect your form, practice the hip hinge movement in a mirror if possible. Glute Bridges can also help you feel and perfect the hip hinge movement.
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for yalls advice! Im dieting with my exercise to lose weight. That sentence was just meant to say I’m not trying to get bigger. (Bc if this community category)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would get some training sessions with a good trainer who can observe and guide you. What you feel and what you think you look like can be completely different!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would get some training sessions with a good trainer who can observe and guide you. What you feel and what you think you look like can be completely different!

This. You can also buy the book Starting Strength 3rd addition and it will give you every bit of info you need to deadlift as well as the other barbell(squat, bench, press, cleans) movements properly. It is written for newer lifters as yourself and is worth every dollar instead of winging it.

One gets better at deadlifting by deadlifting, not by doing glute bridges and other lifts that are less efficient at what your are trying to learn as a novice. Keep it simple.
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    Do y’all think dumbbell deadlifts are the same as with a bar?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ajirvin wrote: »

They are slightly different, as the DBs will angle to the side as you rise, which makes it a slightly different movement, but still very effective. Also, I think there is a little less stability, which is a double-edged sword in the challenges it presents to your form. I started with 15 lb DBs and worked up to 55 lb DBs on a heavy day. Right now my grip is the limiting factor as your weaker hand gets no help/stability from the stronger hand.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    See if your gym has a trap bar. It's good for newbies who don't have the hip mobility yet. It's like a trapezoid cage with handles.
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    I tried with dumbbells today. I had the girl working observe my form. She said my form was great. The only thing I need to do is get gloves. Hurt my hands more than anything. I didn’t really feel anything anywhere else.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I tried with dumbbells today. I had the girl working observe my form. She said my form was great. The only thing I need to do is get gloves. Hurt my hands more than anything. I didn’t really feel anything anywhere else.

The callouses will come in time :wink:

LOL...I wear gloves, as my hands are in bad enough shape from gardening. :o Maintaining lily-smooth palms probably compromises my grip, but the knurling tears the crap out of my hands. Tradeoffs.
  • Chieflrg
    edited October 2017
    Options

They aren't the same in the long run on efficiency standpoint, but can work for a while if db's are your only.option yes.

Being able to add weight for stress and adaptation will plateau, and eventually progress will stop.
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    There is a bar there that I can use. I just tried with dumbbells bc they were easier to access.

• Chieflrg
    Options
    There is a bar there that I can use. I just tried with dumbbells bc they were easier to access.

Unfortunately easier is not the best when it comes to lifting. Glad you found a better option. Good luck.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're doing light weight, a kettlebell is a better proxy than a dumbbell(or pair of dumbbells.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When I started deadlifts I used the pre-weighted ez curl bars. It also saved me from having to wait on a rack.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You can hold the dumbbells out to front to clear knees just like deadlift, not out to side mimicing a squat form more.
    Ditto to kettlebell, though grip may be more interesting there if not used to it.

Also to grip, hold arm up look at your fingers curled around invisible bar with wrist dead straight to forearm (which will happen) - you'll notice where gravity will cause the bar to lie (follow where forearm is pointing) - no where near laying in palm of hand, but in middle knuckle fold instead.

Sometimes gloves make the circumference too big, so keep trying without gloves at light weight.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    When I started deadlifts I used the pre-weighted ez curl bars. It also saved me from having to wait on a rack.

Ditto
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    I thought about using kettlebells, but my gym has limited equipment and doesn’t have them. Thanks everyone for your advice. I’m sore today, but not overly sore! Can’t wait to try again tomorrow.
    I spoke with the lady at the gym and told her I was a little sore. She said 40lbs is too much. She said she uses 5 lb weights. Idk. I think I’ll keep the 40.