Venison

Options
lakelover2010
lakelover2010 Posts: 1 Member
Anyone else who uses venison as a healthier alternative to store bought beef? I’m looking for healthy, low cal recipes.

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Visited family and they asked if I eas adverse to venison as the protein in spaghetti. They had slow cooked a scratch sauce for 8 hours with ground venison and italian sausage. It was tender and delicious!
    Lower in fat as other meats..
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In what ways is venison healthier?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    In what ways is venison healthier?

Lower fat than say...beef. Buffalo is a lower fat version too!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Venison is very lean, to those who have never cut up a deer themselves, take my word on it. Now that said it can have a gamey taste to it (never had store bought venison however) so you need to find different recipes I believe. I usually grind mind up and make beef jerky and sausage. I do however keep the loins for eating. I've grilled them mainly but I have family who cans it and that's good as well. My suggestion is if you want to try, use google for recipes and most likely you'll come across hunting websites.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Venison makes very good chili. I mean real chili with meat cut into small cubes, real chili's either fresh or dried, cumin, some onion and a little tomato if you prefer that color and flavor. Just a delicious, flavorful meat stew with no beans or other veggies, and definitely no pasta.

We made Colorado chili from all our deer and antelope venison for many years, putting in all the meat, except the tenderloins which we grilled or roasted. Wish I had some now!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I cook with venison because my husband hunts. So...

Chili all day. Saute the tenderloin and make a Cumberland sauce. Throw a roast in the crock with a bottle of beer and a jar of pepperoncini. Use it like you would use beef.
  • Headtothemountains
    Options
    If you marinade it, it makes a great fajita with sauteed peppers and onions etc. It's the only meat we use at home. I also like to make vegetable soup (addition of carbs like rice or noodles if you're so inclined) and throw the venison burger in with some beef bouillon. It also works well for stuffed peppers etc. I just use it like I would any other meat, except I cook it for a shorter time and occasionally use beef bouillon in soups etc. to make it tastier to folks who may not be used to the gaminess.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    yum, I love venison! I put it int he crock pot with a cup of Italian dressing and a half cup of water and let it cook all day. Then drain off the juice and make a gravy with it.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Since most people end up with a lot of ground venison, I treat it similarly to leanish ground turkey. If I'm making something like burger patties or meatloaf, I add minced onion, garlic, an egg, and maybe spinach, peppers, or diced mushroom to add moisture. Stuffed peppers and cabbage are good if the meat is a little on the gamey side, since they're braised in flavorful sauce. Use leftover chili as a base for enchiladas, make some tacos, sloppy joes, or meatballs.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My family was always poor and liked to hunt, so at least 75% of my dinners growing up had venison in them.

You can do just about anything you can do with beef with venison. Sometimes you just need to add some oil or butter because venison is very lean.

Ground venison is easy because you can make spaghetti with meat sauce, tacos, burgers, meatloaf. If you make meatloaf, I would suggest adding half ground beef or pork to make it stay together.

If you have chops, marinate them and then quickly pan fry them. If you have a large chunk of meat, such as a shoulder or neck, its really good as a roast in the oven or crockpot.
  • crpowell55
    crpowell55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Venison is far healthier than store bought beef. It's not shot up with hormones, antibiotics and fed GMO feed. They eat a natural diet. They are very abundant in my area and need thinning out every hunting season. I totaled my car on the way home one evening when a buck ran out in front of me going 60 miles per hour. He hit the windshield and I thought he was going to come through, but thank God he didn't. Most people do hunt during the season. It is so much healthier than beef and it tastes good. You have to add some fat to it, (olive oil, butter. I use bacon over a tenderloin roast after I've oiled it with extra virgin olive oil). It tastes great. I usually get a doe as they are not as gamey tasting as a buck but if you do have a piece that is gamey, soak in buttermilk and put in the fridge for a couple hour and it can be kept like this overnight. Rinse, season and cook. My husband and I just purchased a new upright freezer for all the deer meat we have. The only thing you need to worry about is finding a good processor who knows what he/she's doing. It's far healthier and the hunting keeps them from being over populated and we're pretty over populated every season. There is a huge deer population in my area. Thinning the herds keeps only the strongest animals and allows for enough food to last them through the winter.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have great recipes for stuffed venison loins and goulash if anybody is interested...
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm making "Taco Bowls" for dinner, with ground venison, onion, mushroom, taco seasoning, topped with lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese & salsa :)

My local butcher sells awesome venison sausage as well, which I really like. It is my favourite meat.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I have great recipes for stuffed venison loins and goulash if anybody is interested...

Bring it. I need new ideas... :D
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, we use venison just like we would beef. Can't get any more free range/ grass fed than that. I love Chef Myron's 20 guage marinade, I've used it on steaks and in stew and it's awesome.

http://www.chefmyrons.com/buy-now/articles/152-myrons-20-gauge-wild-game-a-fish-sauce
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    HUNGARIAN VENISON GOULASH
    2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    2 large onions, sliced
    2 Tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika (not the regular kind)
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    3 pounds venison stew meat, cut into small cubes
    1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt

1. Over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon. vegetable oil in a large dutch oven or pot and cook onions until they soften. Stir frequently.
    Remove onions and set aside.

2. In a medium size bowl, combine Hungarian paprika, black pepper and 2 tsp. salt.

3. Coat venison cubes in the spice mixture.

4. In the same pot, add the last 1 tbs. of vegetable oil. Cook venison until its brown on all sides.

5. Return the onions to the pot with the meat.

6. Then, add tomato paste, water, garlic and remaining teaspoon of salt.

7. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the venison is tender. Stir occasionally.
    If you want the stew to be thicker, remove the lid and continue to cook over low heat to reduce the sauce. Stir occasionally.

Scott brings home the venison and I’m in charge of cooking it. This is one of my favorite venison recipes and I serve it up hot with rice. Yummy! (don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it!)

• stbb65
    stbb65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't purchased beef in years and at this point beef doesn't agree with my digestive system any more. We also process all our deer ourselves since you never know for sure that you're getting the deer your dropped off back from the processor or someone else's and a lot of people like to hang their meat for weeks before taking them to the processor :# . We de-bone the deer and remove all the tallow (which is what gives a funky taste to the meat). The long bones are used to make bone broth and really very little is ground. Venison does not have to be cooked for extensive periods. Overcooking makes it very dry and tough. Having a pressure cooker also makes for quick cooking for stews, fajita meat, chili, etc.

Check out this for some great game recipes. https://honest-food.net/
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Backstrap/tenderloin:
    Slice into 1" thick medallions

Marinade for 45 - 60 minutes:
    Red wine, 3 crushed cloves of garlic, 2 tbls dijon or spicy brown mustard, regular olive oil, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and soy sauce.

Saute in a little olive oil or non-stick pan, flip once. Internal temp of 145 degrees F - around 8 minutes total.

Remove venison medallions from pan, deglaze with another splash of wine, black pepper, and 1tablespoon of butter.

Serve with a drizzle of the pan sauce. We had ours with a side of mushroom ravioli.