You think it's hard to gain?

Options
So, everyday I see the same posts over and over again "how to a gain weight" "I'm a hard gainer" "I eat loads but can't gain weight". Let me round it up, all of the above is BS, you simply don't eat enough, and or you're burning through what you eat.

All my life I've been skinny, I still am! I used to say I'm a hard gainer, I eat lots. But until I started tracking what I eat I found I had hardly anything. So start tracking what you eat, double up, force yourself.

I started my bulking 6 weeks ago now from being out of gym for 3 months and I'm making sure I'm eating good! Breakfast is key, have a big breakfast then rest of the day is a breeze.

My breakfast is 5 eggs scrambled! 2 whole wheat toast with peanut butter, bowl of oats with peanut butter and pint of milk an boom that's 1000 calories already. PEANUT BUTTER ON EVERYTHING!!!

I'm 5,11, 23, was 137lbs 6 weeks ago, now 147. I'm a server, so always moving, and go gym 6 days a week. Just snack on stuff like nuts

Chicken
Pasta
Tuna
Avacado
Sweet potatoe
Nuts
Olive oil
Peanut butter
Eggs

All good things to bulk,

This app tell me to have 3200 calories a day to gain. I don't have that much but I'm eating more than my body is used to so I'm gaining so that what you need to do

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    3-4kilos in 6 weeks is a combination of muscle, fat and or water weight

FTFY.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    The basis of MFP is calories in/calories out so I agree with the premise of the post.

• kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Gaining is my speciality :D
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Gaining is my speciality :D

Same. I actually need to restrict my cals while gaining, otherwise is be taking in way too many cals!!!
  • Barry7879
    Barry7879 Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/

According to Lyle McDonalds calculator you only need around 175kcal a day in surplus for muscle growth and additional calories beyond this are more likely to go to fat..

No experience myself as I'm in the middle of a 5 year cut! :-)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I mean, if Lyle McDonald says that, then I am apt to trust that. However, I subscribe to the Great Communicator's premise of "Trust, but verify". I - at some point - will play with this. I am back in the gym now (for a few weeks) but when I was out I played a lot with nutrition and experimented. Nothing like ACTUALLY knowing what affects you and how.....

EDIT: meant to include in the original reply.......

And, in order to be at a 175 calorie surplus you need to know your maintenance calories. How many of us can legit say that "I know my maintenance caloric intake"?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    kayemali wrote: »
    3-4kilos in 6 weeks is fat and or water weight

I don't look like I've gained fat thouggh

But you have. It's not possible to gain pure muscle.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    kayemali wrote: »
    3-4kilos in 6 weeks is fat and or water weight

I don't look like I've gained fat thouggh

You've gained both fat and muscle.

As long as you feel good about yourself it's ok.

You can't gain just muscle though.

5'11" and 137 -147 is pretty light. You have some leeway there to keep gaining.

No need to gain too fast.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I used to be like that, now it's the opposite, I always want more food despite already eating a lot.

Your stomach is like a muscle. You can get it used to eating a lot and then it becomes a monster. Muhahahahahaha
  • PrincessSoraya27
    PrincessSoraya27 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!