Coffee or Diet Coke ?

Options

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with either, but if you just want to give them up for fun, I’d suggest giving up diet coke first. Less caffeine, you can wean yourself off of it and then coffee.

I quit coffee cold turkey last month, from a ridiculously high caffeine intake. The withdrawals are no joke.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you're ultimate goal is to give up both it doesn't particularly matter which one you start with, you'll end up in the same place either way. It sounds like you're micromanaging details that don't ultimately matter. I'd save my brain power for something that actually helped like how I'm going to manage the headaches and grogginess of caffeine withdrawal. I'm not saying you shouldn't cut them, just that it will be tough.
  • jesse_323
    jesse_323 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink coke (or any soft drinks) anymore. I have at least 2 cups of coffee pre day with light cream/sugar. By my estimates they are less than 100 calories each. I can trade that for some food because I can't give up my coffee!
  • moderndadbod
    moderndadbod Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Diet coke
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in the coffee? How much do you enjoy the coffee -- is it worth the tradeoff (other things you could consume with the calories) to you? I love coffee black, more than with stuff in it, so it's easy for me to think the obvious choice is to drink coffee black, but if you really love it as is and don't enjoy it so much black, you have to figure out if the calories are worth it. You also might be able to reduce the calories without reducing your enjoyment.

Diet Coke, eh, I don't see a particular reason to give that up as part of a weightloss plan. It's unlikely to affect weight loss unless you find you want to eat more in general when consuming it (it's never affected me that way), which is something you can figure out by tracking and seeing if you can stay in calories. I don't think there's anything wrong with cutting out diet soda if you want to, but I think sometimes something like that can seem easier than just creating a sensible diet with a calorie deficit and ends up detracting from the changes you need to make to reach your weight loss goal. If you drink a whole lot, try substituting some other beverages, though (water, for example).
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I gave up
    1 Diet Coke
    2 Coffee with two creamers and artificial sweetener
    3 Now I drink coffee with 1 Tbsp SF hazelnut creamer
    HAPPY!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Enjoying my 1% latte with 2 shots - 100 cals and my daily calcium - I don’t see a problem. Later, a Diet Coke with lunch - 99% water - 0 calories. Again, not a problem.
    I guess it’s easier for some people to think they can give up something with no or low calories to lose weight instead of actually cutting calories where needed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    You can pry my coffee and Coke Zero out of my cold, dead hands.

Well, actually, thanks to coffee, those will be comfortably warm, dead hands. I believe I'll go get another cup of coffee.

Yes -- lately I've been drinking coffee largely because it's so delightfully warm! I would be so sad without it.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to give up either. Diet Coke is no calories. Coffee the way you have described it has calories, so I suppose for calories, I would eliminate the coffee if you had to. But I would just make it fit your daily calories.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    I used to use quite a bit of cream in my coffee, but i kept reducing the amount i put in, then I switched to original creamer and now I drink it black. I still drink Diet soda, but maybe 1 every other day. Coffee I cant give up though. My mind goes 1,000,000,000 miles an hour without it, and it is an appetite suppressant and that helps me so much, I drink like 5 cups a day.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I will never give up coffee. Ever. When I was doing WW back in the day, I phased out cream / milk in my coffee - I never drank it with sugar. It was a transition that took some time, but now - I only occasionally drink coffee with milk - in the form of a latte, and it's a hot liquid dessert, NOT coffee. Coffee to me is hot, strong, and black. :) Calories in black coffee are minimal - like 5 per cup or something.

As to Diet Coke - I never liked diet soda. I did phase out regular soda because I didn't feel the calories were worth it. If I want a fizzy drink I drink club soda or seltzer on ice with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

For the record - my good friend "weaned" herself off diet coke - she adored it, drank lots of it every day - but her family convinced her to eliminate it for her health. She has been off it for months - and she is disappointed that she doesn't feel any different than she did while she enjoyed her diet coke. So there's that. :) I know that's just her experience and your results will vary. But there you go.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I will never give up coffee. Ever. When I was doing WW back in the day, I phased out cream / milk in my coffee - I never drank it with sugar. It was a transition that took some time, but now - I only occasionally drink coffee with milk - in the form of a latte, and it's a hot liquid dessert, NOT coffee. Coffee to me is hot, strong, and black. :) Calories in black coffee are minimal - like 5 per cup or something.

As to Diet Coke - I never liked diet soda. I did phase out regular soda because I didn't feel the calories were worth it. If I want a fizzy drink I drink club soda or seltzer on ice with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

For the record - my good friend "weaned" herself off diet coke - she adored it, drank lots of it every day - but her family convinced her to eliminate it for her health. She has been off it for months - and she is disappointed that she doesn't feel any different than she did while she enjoyed her diet coke. So there's that. :) I know that's just her experience and your results will vary. But there you go.

I'm in this camp -- I pretty much quit diet soda (I have them occasionally when I'm eating out, but that's it) to save money and the effort of lugging it home from the store and I feel exactly the same.