Coffee or Diet Coke ?

Options
124»

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Cutting out coffee, diet coke and all artificial sweeteners would be extremely detrimental to my weight management. Craving a sweet taste wouldn't lead me to eating more fruit, it would lead to eating all the cookies and sweet snacks with "natural" ingredients. Also, in my case, caffeine helps me manage migraines, and helps me regulate the desire to snack when I'm not actually hungry. I'm 67 years old, in almost perfect health, and lost 50 lbs over the past year and a half. Just my n=1, throw it in with the rest of the "why aspartame isn't scary" proponents, and for pete's sake read that thread. All the peer-reviewed studies that people are demanding are referenced there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories. Little else matters in weight loss until you get to really low bodyfat percentages.

I drink coffee with one shot of cream ~40kcals. One in the morning and another in the afternoon. That amounts to ~2% of my daily caloric intake.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, that went a little left field....

If you want to continue the various debates that arose in this thread see the split made here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10627870/cutting-out-coffee-or-diet-coke/p1?new=1

4legs
    MFP moderator
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Its up to you. You dont really have to give anything up unless you are eliminating it just for more calories for something else. Coffee is my biggest dietary hurdle..ive found that portion controlling my milk and creamer (yes I use both, dont hate lol) is doable and i organically have moved to less coffee because I don't like it as much when its not the sugar bomb that I love. I actually started putting my second cup of coffee black frozen into ice cubes in my shake...a good way to get that caff in without the calories. I have also actually started drinking cherry coke zero again because I guess I still like it (gave it up for years because pregnancy/breastfeeding) and I find it keeps me going between my 3pm post-workout meal and my dinner.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    Its up to you. You dont really have to give anything up unless you are eliminating it just for more calories for something else. Coffee is my biggest dietary hurdle..ive found that portion controlling my milk and creamer (yes I use both, dont hate lol) is doable and i organically have moved to less coffee because I don't like it as much when its not the sugar bomb that I love. I actually started putting my second cup of coffee black frozen into ice cubes in my shake...a good way to get that caff in without the calories. I have also actually started drinking cherry coke zero again because I guess I still like it (gave it up for years because pregnancy/breastfeeding) and I find it keeps me going between my 3pm post-workout meal and my dinner.

Cherry Coke Zero > pretty much everything else, folks.

Yum
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Jolenerob wrote: »
    Help what should I give up first coffee with cream and sugar coffee with nonfat milk and equal or Diet Coke ? I want to give up one and then slowly get rid of the other which would you give up first?

My original response to you got caught up in the threadjacking, so this is a new and improved version :)

If you are trying to cut back on caffeine, there is more in the coffee than the diet soda, so you should get more bang for your buck cutting back on coffee.

If you are trying to lose weight, diet soda doesn't really affect that if you are tracking your calories, so the coffee is again your best bet. You can either cut it out, or learn to drink it with less calories (that's what I did). A splash of milk or a little flavored creamer can easily be less than 50 cals, if that's something you can get used to!

If you personally consider them bad habits that you want to break, I would start with whichever is easiest so you get a fast win. Replacing a habit you want to get rid of with a new habit that is in line with your goals is usually the best way to do that. But as many others have said, I don't personally think coffee or diet soda in moderation is a problem, unless you have a health issue.

Good luck!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I see the othe thread is closed but I just had to add this exciting news - todays Lean Cuisine has ACV in it! So it’s OK, right??
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I see the othe thread is closed but I just had to add this exciting news - todays Lean Cuisine has ACV in it! So it’s OK, right??

It's still around, it was just moved to the "Debate" area.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP have you been back to clarify why you feel compelled to give up any of those beverage options?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Depends how much diet coke you're drinking. If it's everyday give up diet coke. If it's like once a week than you don't have to give it up.

Sounds a bit arbitrary to me. Why is one bad and the other OK? Where exactly is the "line" because you seem to be drawing one and I'd like to understand where it is.

Aspartame isn't good for you and diet drinks cause you to look for sugar elsewhere so it would hinder weight loss.

I'll just leave this here for you for some helpful reading... also,I've been drinking diet soda for > 25 years and it does not cause me to look for sugar elsewhere.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • franknitty69
    franknitty69 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't give up either. You can cut elsewhere. I can't drink coffee black, so I do one packet of sugar in the raw and 1tsp of creamer. and if I drink soda its cherry coke zero (the other ones are just disgusting).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Oh, give me a break. Half and half has 20 calories per tablespoon, sugar has 16 calories per teaspoon. Coffee with cream and sugar is not a "calorie bomb" at all and you can budget for it just like you can any other food. You don't have to "learn to like it dark". That's not what CICO is about at all.

Deprive yourself of something you love and you're asking for trouble when you start resenting the deprivation down the road.

Ya, when people complain about the calories in coffee I wonder what all they are putting into it. I used to use 16 calories worth of sugar and 10 calories or less of half & half; now I add protein powder, fat, and fiber, and call it breakfast.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'd give up coffee with nonfat milk and Equal, and Diet Coke first because I don't consume either of those items. You can pry my coffee with half and half out of my cold dead hands. I'm not giving it up. I've tried a few times and then just decided it was stupid to give up something that brings such enjoyment to my life. Plus I find it really filling and satiating.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Ditch the coffee, it tastes like someone farted in a cup. Trade the Diet Coke for Diet Dr Pepper.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to give up coffee to reduce calories maybe try switching it to black if you can tolerate it? I now drink my coffee with a splash of unsweetened almond milk and a little Stevia. It's not the best cup of coffee in the world by any means, but it does the trick in the morning and is low calorie.
    If you're trying to cut out caffeine just to cut it out or for other health reasons I'd personally cut soda first. I need the caffeine in the morning. When I gave up regular coke it was nasty withdrawals and coffee was the only help! I don't feel like I have an addiction to coffee like I did to soda.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Oh, give me a break. Half and half has 20 calories per tablespoon, sugar has 16 calories per teaspoon. Coffee with cream and sugar is not a "calorie bomb" at all and you can budget for it just like you can any other food. You don't have to "learn to like it dark". That's not what CICO is about at all...

Well it depends on your perspective and how much you use. I never used sugar in my coffee but I did use probably at least two tablespoons of milk or half-and-half. Multiply that by the five or six cups of coffee I had a day... You've now got 202 240 calories. That I could spend on food rather than on my coffee. That is why I taught myself to like my coffee black. I now love my black coffee and wouldn't consider putting milk or cream in it again.

When I was on Weight Watchers the amount of milk that I put in my coffee by the end of the day added up to at least four or five points. When you only have 27 points to begin with... And fewer and fewer as you lose weight... You learn to sacrifice where you can. LOL

With the exception of wine I prefer not to drink my calories... That's why I started drinking my coffee black.