BCAAs women lifters

Options
Hey,
I currently take no supplements other than protein shakes, but I’ve been considering BCAAs. However, I’m concerned that they may make my skin break out, as I’ve struggled with acne, rosacea and all sorts of pimply skin conditions for the past two decades! Have any of you ladies found that they’ve aggravated skin issues?
And is it worth taking then? Have they made a genuine difference to people’s performance or gains?
Thank you :-)

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with it.
    You may find this thread worth reading.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10594549/new-research-on-bcaas-dont-waste-your-money/p1

Cheers, h.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BCAAs are basically worth, especially since you are taking protein shakes which has complete proteins.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I currently take no supplements other than protein shakes, but I’ve been considering BCAAs. However, I’m concerned that they may make my skin break out, as I’ve struggled with acne, rosacea and all sorts of pimply skin conditions for the past two decades! Have any of you ladies found that they’ve aggravated skin issues?
    And is it worth taking then? Have they made a genuine difference to people’s performance or gains?

gains come from lifting heavy and a calorie surplus. it never gave me skin issues but for some reason it seems to help me to become less sore if I do take them. pre workout is what gives me the boost to lift a little longer,but that could be due to the caffeine that is in most of those things. but for the most part I dont take them. I have stuff in my cabinet that I havent used in awhile.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I agree as long as your getting adequate daily protein you shouldn't need to supplement BCAAs. Consensus I typically see is Vitamin D3, creatine, Omega 3s are all you should bother with and certainly aren't necessary for gains.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Hey,

gains come from lifting heavy and a calorie surplus. it never gave me skin issues but for some reason it seems to help me to become less sore if I do take them. pre workout is what gives me the boost to lift a little longer,but that could be due to the caffeine that is in most of those things. but for the most part I dont take them. I have stuff in my cabinet that I havent used in awhile.

i agree that most of the benefit i have experienced is likely from the caffeine, i've only taken them a few times before fasted lifting on saturday mornings because i don't like to eat when i first wake up. i forget to take them as often as i take them though and the difference is negligible.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I agree as long as your getting adequate daily protein you shouldn't need to supplement BCAAs. Consensus I typically see is Vitamin D3, creatine, Omega 3s are all you should bother with and certainly aren't necessary for gains.

you dont need creatine either. as you can also get enough creatine from foods, not to mention your body makes so much of it
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options

you dont need creatine either. as you can also get enough creatine from foods, not to mention your body makes so much of it

You don't need Creatine but it is very proven and most people cant get 5g per day in their diet. But some people, like all things, are non responders.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

You don't need Creatine but it is very proven and most people cant get 5g per day in their diet. But some people, like all things, are non responders.

didnt say that its not proven ,just that its not needed. yeah it would take a lb of meat or fish to get 5g per day from what I have researched. but there are some out there that may eat that much. I could probably eat a lb of fish(salmon says its 4.5g per lb). but not beef. but yeah.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Most bcaa's taste like paracetamol, L glutamine is only good for IBS tummies and creatine is being trialled for those with dementia...whilst benefiting those who are plant based eaters the most.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Most bcaa's taste like paracetamol, L glutamine is only good for IBS tummies and creatine is being trialled for those with dementia...whilst benefiting those who are plant based eaters the most.

what does that have to do with performance and gains? it would be great if it did work for those with dementia and alzheimers but it says it hasnt been studied yet.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with it.
    You may find this thread worth reading.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10594549/new-research-on-bcaas-dont-waste-your-money/p1

Cheers, h.

Thanks h! Saved me the trouble.
  • louisegillanders
    louisegillanders Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you’ve saved me some money by the sounds of it! :-)))
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options

what does that have to do with performance and gains? it would be great if it did work for those with dementia and alzheimers but it says it hasnt been studied yet.

It's called having a conversation dear
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I always take my BCAAs. Maxi muscle Apple and pear ones. They're beauty!

I find taking them during sessions (especially leg day) helps me to stop cramping up or throwing up... but I also rake them on a morning as that's when I get my least amount of protein.

They give me that extra something I need. I'm 4 months pregnant at the minute and I'm still taking them and still training and I find they help. My personal preference really :)
  • mmapags
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »

I find taking them during sessions (especially leg day) helps me to stop cramping up or throwing up... but I also rake them on a morning as that's when I get my least amount of protein.

They give me that extra something I need. I'm 4 months pregnant at the minute and I'm still taking them and still training and I find they help. My personal preference really :)

Did you read any of the research in the post by middlehaitch?
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Nope. As I said, my personal preference and I find they work :)
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Nope. As I said, my personal preference and I find they work :)

Work in what sense? You don't cramp (more to do with hydration than anything)? Placebo effect? If you did bother to look at the research you would have seen they do absolutely nothing. But hey, if you enjoy spending money flavoring your water, feel free. Don't allow yourself to be encumbered by facts.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I take BCAA's, I drink a scoop in my water throughout my workout. I find that I'm less sore after my workouts as opposed to when I wasn't taking them. I also find them beneficial because I have a hard time getting adequate protein throughout the day... I don't eat a ton of meat. My protein mainly comes from fish, eggs, protein shakes but I usually come in under my grams for the day no matter how hard I try...
    "For people with low dietary protein intake, BCAA supplementation can promote muscle protein synthesis and increase muscle growth over time. Supplementation can also be used to prevent fatigue in novice athletes." - https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/