Thoughts On Fasting?

Options

Replies

• Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that it is not magical and there is nothing more to it than skipping a meal. If it helps you control your calories in a given day then its ok but fasting itself is not some magic that will do anything beyond, skipping a meal. I use it as a tool to maintain a calorie deficit because I dont eat breakfast and eat a bigger lunch/dinner. Works for my lifestyle.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think fasting one day a week is no big deal, depending on the person may be beneficial or may not (more to do with the mental effects). But NOT beneficial based on resting the digestive system, which doesn't need to rest.

I fast occasionally for religious reasons and find it helpful. I don't like the idea of full day fasts for weight control, for me, but some use them regularly for that purpose and like them. That's about whether it creates an overall deficit for the week.
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the one to rock the boat, but there IS benefit to fasting. Even IF will help to reset your metabolism to a leaner, meaner, more efficient machine. Have you seen the long-term Rhesus Monkey Research on minimal calorie deficiets? I know we're not monkeys, but it's worth pondering...........
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14063
    Thank you. I’ll keep an open mind and check it out.

• DesOdhi
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »
    i was listening to one guy and he said fasting is one way to use glycogen so the body starts using fat. He is a weight trainer on you tube. His name is gravity training zone. He intermittently fasts.
    Thank you, if I get some free time today, I’ll be sure to watch a video or two.

• DesOdhi
    Options
    @toxikon good article
    @kimny72 It is well documented that after a day of heavy weightlifting or a hard workout, you DO need to give those muscles a break of at least one day to rebuild and recover before stressing them heavily again.

The main benefit of fasting is that when your body has used all the easy glycogen stores if there is no new food intake, the body starts looking internally for things it can burn for the energy it needs. Prolonged fasting (4-5 days) allows the body an opportunity to kill off damaged and mutated cells, and also creates a large drop in white blood cells, which are regenerated upon re-feeding. Some people will do an extended fast of 3 to 5 days twice each year.

Most people find several days of no food too hard, so another option is "fasting mimicking diet", which Dr. Valter Longo created to allow cancer patients to have the benefits of a 5 day fast while consuming small regulated diet, around 500 calories per day. He has found that fasting may mitigate some of the harmful effects of chemotherapy and in his mice studies, fasting and chemo working together gave 100% cancer-free mice.

One other thing you will hear about is intermittent fasting. This could be not eating every other day, or only picking one or two days out of the week (5/2) to fast. Many of the intermittent fasting diets also allow this small amount of calorie intake even on fasting days.

I have just started time-restricted eating, with 16 hours of no food and only eating for 8 hour window each day. This should help me lose weight and control blood glucose. See Dr. Satchin Panda reference below and there's another 2-part interview with him on bulletproof radio. https://blog.bulletproof.com/satchin-panda-part-2/

I've been listening to Dr. Rhonda Patrick and she has a lot of interest in the medical benefits of fasting on healthspan and lifespan. https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes
    For extended fasting, watch the Dr. Valter Longo & Dr. Guido Kroemer episodes & for time-restricted eating watch both of the Dr. Satchin Panda episodes.
    I appreciate your well thought out and articulate response. I’ll be sure to reference some of your links for my own research.

• DesOdhi
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think fasting one day a week is no big deal, depending on the person may be beneficial or may not (more to do with the mental effects). But NOT beneficial based on resting the digestive system, which doesn't need to rest.

I fast occasionally for religious reasons and find it helpful. I don't like the idea of full day fasts for weight control, for me, but some use them regularly for that purpose and like them. That's about whether it creates an overall deficit for the week.
    Yea, I pretty much feel the same way. I’ve only really ever fasted for religious purposes, but not a complete fast (no food). More like, no meats or sweets for 40 days. I have no experience with the health reasons for doing it.

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I do the daily style of fasting (16/8 to 18/6) not the weekly and I do it because I really like to eat big meals. While there are reportedly some benefits I think more research needs to be put into it much like anything else in the fitness realm.

I started it to help stay in a deficit and it definitly helped make things easier for me (not for everyone) and I stuck with it because I like my 1200-1400 calorie meals now that I'm in maintenance.

Worth trying if you are looking into it but it isn't for everyone.