Thoughts On Fasting?

Options
124»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one think the topic is still interesting enough to continue on the conversation with or without the op.

On the topic of dogs, I think forcing a fast on an animal that is not used to it is wrong. We can't compare them to a wild animal as we've domesticated them for too long that it's no longer relevant. Mine whine if they don't have their supper at 4:30 and I think it is mean to just say no for no good reason. Hell, it's tough enough to do for a vet reason.

I know I can't do IF. I've tried and it isn't pretty. But those who do seem to use it more to meet their weekly calorie goals then re-set anything. I don't buy into the re-setting, but understand the religious reasons.

• ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »
    i was listening to one guy and he said fasting is one way to use glycogen so the body starts using fat. He is a weight trainer on you tube. His name is gravity training zone. He intermittently fasts.

There is a difference between IF and the type of fasting referenced by the OP. I don't consider IF fasting because, 50 years ago, that was the standard way to eat (well, FD, it would have been more of a 12/12 IF rather than the 8/16 IF that is popular now- but it's the same idea). There may be some benefits to IF, but, as a scientist, I can't ignore the confounding factors that have been proven to also produce those benefits on their own (i.e., is it the IF or the wiser food choices with extra sleep and water that lowers your GI, cholesterol, etc.?)

If you are eating normally for six days, there is no health benefit to fasting on the seventh. There can be some spiritual benefits, as billions of people can attest. OTOH, if you are "hard eating" for six days, your digestive system could use the break.

Think about it this way: How do you feel after running a marathon? What would happen if you decided to run two marathons back to back with minimal (less than 24 hours) rest? However, you can probably walk five miles every day without thinking twice about it. Our organs are the same way. You treat them with gentle love and respect daily, they'll be fine. But, put them under extreme pressure, they'll need a break.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    One way to navigate the world of online communication is to imagine a close friend or family member is saying what the responder said. What kind of tone would they use?

More often than not, it's a friendly tone. Or an inquisitive tone, or perhaps a jokey tone. Trying to look at the responses in a positive light goes a long way towards mutual understanding on the forums.

:)

This is a really good point.

Interestingly (or not), I tend to read questions as the opposite of condescending, whereas the kind of "do this" type posts (not in this thread, that I noticed) read to me much more condescending. Lots of this stuff is common sense that the dieting industry overcomplicates and makes people think is hard or requires special knowledge, so I think calling on people to think it through themselves -- to realize they probably do know the answer -- is a friendly thing to do and is respecting their innate knowledge and intelligence, quite the opposite of suggesting they are dumb. When someone asks about what a good diet is, for example, I think this is a fair tactic, and respectful ('cause you probably do have a good idea, it's not more complicated), and same with the idea that you need to fast to rest your digestive system.

I think it's too bad that caused some negativity toward an obviously (IMO) well-intentioned poster.

Beyond that, I think most dieting things (would fasting or IF help you reach goals or be a positive experience for you) is much more individual than anything else, so IS something the person needs to try out on their own or think through as to whether it seems likely to be appealing/useful for them. That someone else really loves or hates (for them) IF doesn't mean I will, after all.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    If you decide to deny your dogs food for a day, they have no idea why. Like you, I struggle enough denying them food when it's required for medical reasons. To me, one of the worst parts of having dogs is when you're having to do something that causes them pain, distress, or discomfort and you can't explain why.

Yeah, same with cats.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you decide to deny your dogs food for a day, they have no idea why. Like you, I struggle enough denying them food when it's required for medical reasons. To me, one of the worst parts of having dogs is when you're having to do something that causes them pain, distress, or discomfort and you can't explain why.

Yeah, same with cats.

Denying my cats food causes *me* distress! They make sure of it :tongue:

I personally don't think my digestive system needs a break any more than my heart, brain, or respiratory system do. A fact I'm sort of glad for, since I like food!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    i was listening to one guy and he said fasting is one way to use glycogen so the body starts using fat. He is a weight trainer on you tube. His name is gravity training zone. He intermittently fasts.

There is a difference between IF and the type of fasting referenced by the OP.

Some forms of IF (although not the ones most popular currently) use a one day weekly fast (which would be around 36 hours). I think Brad Pilon's is a once or twice a week 24 hour fast (and he calls some more common forms of IF "intermittent feeding").
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yeah, same with cats.

Denying my cats food causes *me* distress! They make sure of it :tongue:

Heh, that too!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to fast once a week for religious reasons and did find that my system emptied out? Trying to be tactful but it seemd to get things moving perhaps because all I ingested was water. Whether it really benefitted me healthwise or not I can't say as that was not the reason I did it.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This was on our news this morning. I hope people outside of Canada can see it.
    https://www.ctv.ca/YourMorning/Articles/February-2018/Intermittent-fasting-is-having-a-moment
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Some forms of IF (although not the ones most popular currently) use a one day weekly fast (which would be around 36 hours). I think Brad Pilon's is a once or twice a week 24 hour fast (and he calls some more common forms of IF "intermittent feeding").

That's really interesting! The only forms of IF I've seen bouncing around the gyms and YouTube were of the "intermittent feeding" variety. Even the medical journal article I read before posting focused solely on the 16/8 and 20/4 hour IFs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I did the 36 hour fast a couple months ago in preparation for a colonoscopy. The only thing it did for me was make me Hungry!

Just to add.. there was no joy/happiness, healthful feelings or spiritual enlightenment during my fasting time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This was on our news this morning. I hope people outside of Canada can see it.
    https://www.ctv.ca/YourMorning/Articles/February-2018/Intermittent-fasting-is-having-a-moment

It's quite trendy at the moment. And as with most trends/fads, there's a lot of hyperbole and misinformation surrounding it.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Destinyy wrote: »
    I knew someone who put their dogs on this type of fast. He said he did it for their longevity. UGH
    That’s ridiculous. I hope someone informed them that dogs eat when they’re hungry in the wild. They don’t “fast for longevity.”

....isnt that what humans do in the wild too?