Question for runners?

Options
I have recently started jogging/running and I've noticed my toes always start to feel tingly/numb (like they are falling asleep.)

Normally its more annoying than anything but anything more than 4 miles and the feeling creeps up my calf and legs and I have to stop (I feel like I'm going to fall over..)

Does this sound normal?

Replies

• VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My toes would feel tingly while running until I realized that I tied my shoes too tight.

As far as calf and legs, I have no clue.
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    VitaminAmy wrote: »
    My toes would feel tingly while running until I realized that I tied my shoes too tight.

As far as calf and legs, I have no clue.

It's really weird... Hmm, maybe my pants are too tight.

• Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would try to work on your stride. It's probably because your toes are doing more work than they should be and around 4 miles you may start to get tired and lose form and that's when you start to feel it elsewhere. Form is extremely important and as you get tired and weak it starts to worsen and that's usually when injuries occur. You may be relying on your toes for most of your balance instead of your core. You can google search proper form to see if maybe that's it? Hope that helps!
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used to get this problem during soccer. I'm always worried about rolling my ankle so I put them on extremely tight. This can cause the issue. Also have your shoes checked to make sure they fit correctly. I prefer lots of room in the toes and use running shoes with a wide toe box. It could be your toes are too close to the end or squished together.
  • 123Allyxox
    Options
    I got new shoes a few weeks ago and there is plenty of room in the toe, but I do tend to tie them REALLY tight. Will definitely look online about proper running form. Thanks!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    123Allyxox wrote: »
    I have recently started jogging/running and I've noticed my toes always start to feel tingly/numb (like they are falling asleep.)

Normally its more annoying than anything but anything more than 4 miles and the feeling creeps up my calf and legs and I have to stop (I feel like I'm going to fall over..)

Does this sound normal?

Reactively, I'm concerned for you because it depends on what the above-members have posted@running footwear (shock absorption or fit)/running form (including how your foot lands/your gait) to the surface type you're encountering along your running route, if there weren't issues before you'd started with this choice of exercise.

• midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes don't fit properly. I'd try lacing them loser and if that doesn't work go back to the store that fitted you (you did get fitted at a specialty running store, right?).

You might find this to be helpful:
    runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/help-my-feet-go-numb-when-i-run
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just starting out you're going to feel lots of things. You're going to feel muscles you never knew you had. This is typical with any new exercise you do, and regardless of great shape. Your muscles and joints are going to talk to you. As far as numbness, make certain you're wearing the correct running shoe for your foot. Over or under pronation can be the problem. Head to a running store and let the sales people see you walk with no shoes on and they'll be able to make recommendations on the shoe that's right for you.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Your feet can swell as you run, and if you are tying your shoes too tight that is your problem. I had my feet go tingly about 3 miles in one time and i loosened them a bit and continued without issue.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    +1 for the shoes fitting argument. Also, my feet swell when I run long distance (Usually starting at 7-8 miles in my case)... So I do lace them looser at the beginning.
  • 123Allyxox
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes don't fit properly. I'd try lacing them loser and if that doesn't work go back to the store that fitted you (you did get fitted at a specialty running store, right?).

You might find this to be helpful:
    runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/help-my-feet-go-numb-when-i-run

Thanks! yes I got a gait analysis done. I was wearing brooks for the past few years and recently switched to mizunos.