I am constantly bloated no matter what, HELP!

Options
Okay, so just to back track, I am dairy and gluten intolerant, I don't drink soft drinks, rarely drink alcohol, but yet am still incredibly bloated constantly.

I have anxiety issues, quite large ones, but I didn't think that would affect how bad I bloat to this degree.

I look 3-5 months pregnant on any given day, even if I haven't had anything that I know causes bloating.

The only thing I know that gets rid of it is laxatives, but I can't take them every day or anything so I am pretty stuck.

Right now I am on a no sugar low starch diet for the next 2 weeks to try and get my bloating under control, but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

I know there is starch in cauliflower and carrots, which i eat regularly as potato and pasta substitutes, but I don't think it had that much starch to cause such bad results.

I don't know what to do and I am sick of looking pregnant. Can anyone help or give me some advice on this?

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    are you sure it is bloating?
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You might have just gained weight and that's how u feel...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you are not feeling any discomfort then you are probably either retaining water from too much sodium intake OR you just.. carry a lot of fat in your abdomen. I carry my fat in my stomach and until I lost my first 20lbs I really had to actively suck in my stomach. Now I still have a stomach but it doesn't protrude as much when I'm not actively sucking it in. This is how it was when I was younger before losing weight then as well (from 190 to 145).

if it's the former case, drink more water andpossibly caffeine. If it's the latter, uh.. well calorie restriction of ~20% from your maintenance (either TDEE without logging and eating exercise, or net and log/eat back exercise cals)
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Our bodies could potentially function much differently, but I find that when I drink more water I'm less bloat-y (even during my TOM), and that *ahem* my morning constitutional is much easier to pass. If your body has the same little nuances as mine, you may find that increasing your daily water might take away your need for a laxative as well :smile:
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    I drink at least 1.8 liters a day (3 600ml bottles) more on work out days or if i can manage,
    definitely not pregnant, haven't gained weight as scale doesn't really change and when i tighten my abs, i see how much it pulls my belly in. like i go from 5 months pregnant to flat just by tightening my stomach muscles, so I don't think it could be weight gain or pregnancy or I wouldn't be able to do that right?
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    Also might be worthwhile to add, I think I may have a slow digestive system only becdause I only do my "2's" ever 3-4 days or so.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It's fat and/or water retention.
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    If it's water retension, how do I get rid of it?

I know i have some fat around my stomach but it is definitely not enough to make up all the bloating, and once again, i dont think I be able to pull it back to pretty much flat would i?
  • z_bra
    Options
    When I was at my fatest I felt I was bloated but it was just fat. The dr might give u a water pill but it won't help much...just lose weight
  • suppakana
    Options
    Also might be worthwhile to add, I think I may have a slow digestive system only becdause I only do my "2's" ever 3-4 days or so.

Have you tried getting more fiber in your diet? There are a lot of factors that can contribute to having bowel movements less frequently, but fiber is the first one that comes to mind. Have you spoken to a dr. about this? I'd mention the frequency of your movements to them; my understanding (I'm no expert!) is that most people have regular movements every 1-2 days.

Anyways, I'd suggest getting more fiber in your diet to begin with. My personal suggestions would be to try to incorporate old fashioned (or steel cut) oats, english muffins (whole wheat), and whole wheat bread in your meals. It can be something as small as a side roll (maybe 100 cals?) with dinner.
  • z_bra
    Options
    Water retention would go away of u drank enough water
  • suppakana
    Options
    FYI, I'm focusing on your bowel movements so much because you've said that laxatives help the bloating. Laxatives = pooping. More pooping = less bloating, therefore we need to get you doing the doo more :wink:
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    I drink my minimum 1.8l plus 3-4 teas a day, and usually more water but I make sure its 1.8l minimum.
    When I drink more than 2.5-3l of water i get a headache, the odd occasions I have drunk3-4l i still dont see any difference in my bloating, and im left with a headache also.

I think i have fibre in my diet? I have metamucil so I should probably try using that since I haveen't been lately. Thanks for that :)

I have spoken to my doctor but he hasn't given me much help honestly, he just says its normal and will pass but it doesn't.

Also in regards to being "fat", I don't know how you were at the time when this was applicable to you, but I am only 10 pounds over where I should be and around 20 pounds of my goal weight, is that enough over for it to be fat or? Im just not sure.

I may seem a little thicker but i definitely don't look fat anywhere, just pregnant, and believe me I have checked and I am not pregnant.

I can include pictures if that helps??
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    suppakana wrote: »
    FYI, I'm focusing on your bowel movements so much because you've said that laxatives help the bloating. Laxatives = pooping. More pooping = less bloating, therefore we need to get you doing the doo more :wink:

Oh okay, good point! so what is a good form of fibre if i cant have any gluten or dairy or beans or lentils? And I am trying to stay away from starch? Or what are just some good forms of fibre and does metamucil really work or is it a waste of time?
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    Also what are good probiotics if i cant have yoghurt or yakult?
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    blazepurr wrote: »
    Is whats happening to you similar to this girls post? Have a read of the thread, there are lots of helpful suggestions

Very similar, and super helpful. I might go back to my doctor and tell him this is getting really annoying and I need help with it coz I am seriously done wit being bloated constantly.

Also I don't always wake up flat. Some days I wake up still blated from dinner, or I am relatively flat but as soon as I drink anything in the morning, even water, i balloon.

Should water even be making me balloon?
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Water should not make you balloon no. Odd question, but you're not swallowing air when you eat/drink are you? If you swallow air then that will cause bloating, even with water.

Some people bloat on sugar substitutes, not sure if you use those. TOM obviously can cause bloating, as can IBS, food intolerance's, bacterial imbalances and constipation. Do you suffer from excessive gas? And do you chew properly? Sounds like a daft question but for those people with more sensitive digestive tracts if you don't chew your food properly before you swallow it it's much harder for the gut to breakdown and you can end up with food in the incorrect state of digestion in various parts of the gut.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    google the FODMAP diet, supposed to help with gut issues.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have this and always have and my doctor says it's normal for me. I have tried every type of fiber supplement, probiotic , you name it over the years. It just is what it is. I retain water daily. Stress, lack of sleep, excessive exercise, sodium and in my case quitting smoking 3 months ago all add to this. I can literally measure my thigh when I wake up and two hours later its an inch smaller (exercise a lot and my body is holding on during repair). People always ask if you get enough fiber and so its something I work on daily, I'm averaging 31 g for this week per day. Does it help?? NOPE
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Flax seed is a great source of fiber and to my knowledge its gluten free also.