How does everyone measure pasta?

Options
Is it better to weigh it dry or cooked? Do you measure it on a food scale or??? Thanks for the answers!

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry. I am sure the data base has measurements for weight after cooking it.
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Always weigh it dry
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Because I eat gluten-free pastas, the nutritional info for generic dry doesn't line up with my pasta so I just weigh it dry. If I'm doing a single serving, I weigh it and eat that whole serving. If I'm cooking some for more than just me, I weigh it all dry, then weigh it all when it's cooked and either divide into equal weighted portions or I will note the weights. I have a "recipe" as well for pasta, so that if I cook 150g of pasta and it comes out to like 350g cooked then I'll write that in the recipe title.

But then for instance, I weigh rice cooked becuase... whatever, I'm lazy, and rice is rice is rice. But then I have pastas that are either corn, rice, or a grain blend, and they are all different nutritional info. So dry is just more convenient for me

Also, all calorie counting is an estimate. As long as you are consistent - use dry info for dry-weighed food, cooked for cooked-weighed food - it doesn't really matter in the end. I weigh everything both cooked and dry depending on preference and ease. Some things I never weigh cooked, like oatmeal, because I always just have the one serving or because it just makes more sense to weigh it dry. Other things only make sense for me to weigh cooked. Whatever works fro you.
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    After u cook it won't be accurate since it might absorb a different amount of water depending on cooking time
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to weigh it dry. There are some rough estimates online to help you convert dry to cooked though. I weighed a serving of pasta dry one time then cooked it separately from the pasta for my family, weighed it again once it was cooked, and saved it in the "my foods" portion of my diary.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will weigh it dry!
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would say its hard to weigh it dry if you are making something for a few people. You could weight it before then weigh it after and do the math and measure what you take.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I cook about 4 servings of pasta. I weight in grams dry and then I weight it again after cooking and draining and divide it by 4.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry, then weigh it cooked and calculate my portion from there.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I used to measure it dry but now that I have my food scale (yay!) I will be weighing it dry for better accuracy.