Scale Addiction/ Obession

Options
So... I hate to admit it, but this is the truth. I, Fabulous_Fit have a scale obsession. I allow the scale to tell me how I feel about myself (it is not as bad as it used to be), but I do get on the scale daily and I would really like to stop this habit.

Does anyone else struggle? Have you overcome the urge to weigh in daily? If so, how?

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your scale. What do you even need it for? You're an adult, you don't have to let a stupid little machine dictate how you feel about anything. Throw that SOB to the curb and commit to getting healthy, regardless of what number may come up next time you stand on a scale.

If getting rid of it completely is not an option, for whatever reason (doesn't belong to you, weighing yourself on every scale you come across), then perhaps you should seek some counseling, because compulsive behavior like this is not healthy, especially with the emotional toll it's taking on you.
  • llkool
    llkool Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Fabulous Fit ! I weigh myself everyday and know plenty of fit and healthy people that do also. I don't consider it an obsession or a fault of mine in any way it is simply part of my routine. Saying this it doesn't alter my opinion of my self worth or esteem it is a reminder for me that for the rest of the day I will eat in a healthy way and do my best to exercise in some way even if this means a little 10 min abb work out. Just something to respect my body. If I were you I would not beat yourself up about your behaviour as long as it is encouraging you to make positive and healthy choices for your mind and body. I hope that helps you out : )
    As for anybody on here wanting to criticise my advice or opinion please save it as I will not buy in to your negativity. I am here for a positive and supportive community experience as well as the benefit of my own mental and physical health. : )
  • ndegwa
    ndegwa Posts: 169
    Options
    I look at it most days.... i just keeps me in track. Its nice to see progress as time goes on.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this then finally realized I just needed to be strict with myself and either place it in a room that I don't go into all the time or hide it, then only weigh myself on a certain day. Give yourself a SET DAY that you weigh yourself... and DO NOT weigh in any other time. (I do every Friday morning, since usually all week I do well, then on the weekends I tend to splurge a bit so Monday morning doesn't make sense)

I know many other people who are healthy weigh-in every day, but the fact that you have a negative relationship with the scale and let it control how you feel tells me you need to break away from weighing in every day until you understand that weight is just a number..

**Note- My response assumes that this scale addiction is negatively affecting your weight loss progress or fitness goals. If you're content with your weight, and you understand daily fluctuations and what causes them and are comfortable with them, then I don't see a problem with weighing in every day..**
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I weight myself sometimes 2-3 times everyday too but only check in once a week. I worked out that the scale lies sometimes so when it is telling me I have put on it is usually fluid, especially if I have had a lot of salt that day the next day I can put on 3-4lbs. I figure that unless I ate 14000 cals the day before it is more than likely fluid and will go. Scales are a tool neither good or bad, it is often better to look at your progress over a month since weight can fluctuate so much. It used to be with me that my emotions were related to the scale up or down but I try to distance my emotions now and come up with reasons as why the numbers say what they say.

Charlotte.
  • DestinationHEALTH
    Options
    I have the same problem, actually. One of my goals is to only weigh in once a week, on Mondays.

I put my scales somewhere really awkward - like on top of my cupboard, and then pile boxes on them. I weigh in in the morning usually, and I can't be bothered to dismantle the boxes before a cup of coffee.

Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I don't think the problem lies in weighing yourself daily, it is in allowing the number on the scale to dictate how you feel about yourself. I weigh daily, but it's just a number-not a measure of my self-worth. Will weighing less often really change what seeing that number does to you? If you weigh just once a week or once a month, how will you feel if the number is the same or higher than the last time you weighed yourself? I'd work on teaching yourself that the number on the scale is just that, a number, which is influenced by a zillion factors many of which you can't control. Then it won't matter how often you weigh yourself.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    i do this too, I tell myself that I will not but I still do it. I even have two scales, a new electronic one that my dh swears is the same as the dr office (he checked his weight on it as soon as he got home from dr visit), and an older on that I have had forever that shows almost 5 lbs less then the new one! I get on the new digital one then hop one the old one to make myself feel better. The old scale weight makes me feel better because that is the one I have used for many years.

I have told myself I don't care what the scale says, I just care about getting healthy, and I believe it when I'm feeling strong. I just can not get away from that stupid scale and how it makes me feel, at least at some point in every day. I'm trying and I am happy with my loss after just 3 weeks, and the amazing thing is that I already feel better. So hopefully if I can keep being strong some day I'll be able to give up the daily weighing.

So you are not alone in your obsession, I'm in it too :embarassed:
  • ThomasDomen
    ThomasDomen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't have a scale at home. There's scales at my work, and I use it once a week...that's it! I used to weigh myself constantly, trying to squeeze out an extra turd or deprive myself of water to lose that one pound. Bunch of bull, it becomes a silly game at that point.
  • RunEatLift
    RunEatLift Posts: 68
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week and then put it away - somewhere difficult to reach or far away form the room you usually weigh yourself in. If you live with someone else then give it to them and tell them to put it away for the week.
    The scales lie all too often - have you thought about taking tape measurements every fortnight or so instead?
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at the grocery store for this reason. There's a large scale at my local grocery store that gives me the same results as my doctor's office, so I figure it's pretty accurate. That way I only weigh in once a week at the store and don't have anything at home tempting me.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I used to be a scale addict too but realized how dumb and pointless it is.
    Why weigh yourself every single day or even multiple
    Times every day when you KNOW it's fluctuating and you KNOW as the day goes on,the
    Heavier you'll be from food consumption?

People say they aren't "addicted" yet weigh in more than once,every day.
    It's pointless because if you eat healthy foods in moderation/count calories and are in a deficit
    Then you WILL lose weight,so why torture yourself by seeing the scale go up
    When you know in actuality you're going to lose weight?

Recipe for a disaster.
  • klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I get out of bed and I track it on a spreadsheet. I don't see it as a problem. How is it any different than measuring and tracking all your food? Using your logic, that could be considered an obsession too, but all MFP users do it. I view it all as useful tools to staying on track. I find it easier to make small adjustments if the scale trends high several days in a row, rather than waiting a couple of weeks only to find that I've gained 5 pounds. I'm an engineer though, so to me, numbers make the world go round and everything is better in black and white. No gray! :)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I don't think the problem lies in weighing yourself daily, it is in allowing the number on the scale to dictate how you feel about yourself. I weigh daily, but it's just a number-not a measure of my self-worth. Will weighing less often really change what seeing that number does to you? If you weigh just once a week or once a month, how will you feel if the number is the same or higher than the last time you weighed yourself? I'd work on teaching yourself that the number on the scale is just that, a number, which is influenced by a zillion factors many of which you can't control. Then it won't matter how often you weigh yourself.

Yes to this!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and don't consider anything wrong with it at all. It is a way to keep me on track and on target.

I'm in maintenance, so fluctuations are expected. Better yet, I have learned a lot of things about my body and how it changes throughout my monthly cycle based on these fluctuations. If I didn't weigh daily, I would never have discovered them.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I get out of bed and I track it on a spreadsheet. I don't see it as a problem. How is it any different than measuring and tracking all your food? Using your logic, that could be considered an obsession too, but all MFP users do it. I view it all as useful tools to staying on track. I find it easier to make small adjustments if the scale trends high several days in a row, rather than waiting a couple of weeks only to find that I've gained 5 pounds. I'm an engineer though, so to me, numbers make the world go round and everything is better in black and white. No gray! :)

Your argument is invalid.
    Weighing food/counting calories and weighing yourself every day are different
    Altogether.
    If you don't count calories then you won't know whether you should be gaining weight,losing weight,or maintaining.
    Considering putting on or losing weight is something that happens OVER TIME weighing
    Yourself every day doesn't make logical sense.
    Not counting calories would mean the scale wouldn't show me anything,if I didn't
    Know how much I was consuming but if I'm over calories one day,and under the next 6
    Over the course it created a deficit even though the 1 day I technically gained,
    Even though the gains are relatively small it might show on the scale I gained 2 pounds.
    Which obviously didn't happen.
  • aspmg5
    aspmg5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on this one! I can let the scale dictate how I feel. I've managed to get down to weighing only once a week and that has helped me take back some of the power that I was giving to the scale.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every day 4 times. I did it in part because I was a bit obsessed...but also because I wanted to get a grip on what my baody's natural rythym is. I discovered that I can fluctuate up to 6 pounds over the course of a day. With that knowledge, I can weigh whenever I want and not panic over a number that falls within that range. After i got a handle on daily fluctuation, I weighed once every day to track the natural variations from day to day. I started tracking daily so I could see if there was a downward trend. As long as there was, I had no worries. Now I weigh once a month (and occassionally a second or third time just to see) and it works fine for me (I am in my last few pounds).

So, my point is if you do it to get a handle on natrual fluctuations, then keep doing it. If it stresses you out, then i would suggest doing it less often.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I used to be like this and then one day I saw a picture of myself and realised I needed to stop losing. I didn't look bad, but I realised I looked slim and would be at the risk of looking too skinny for my liking if I continued.
    Then I started strength training because I know I can't rely on the scales so much for my results!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every day 4 times. I did it in part because I was a bit obsessed...but also because I wanted to get a grip on what my baody's natural rythym is. I discovered that I can fluctuate up to 6 pounds over the course of a day. With that knowledge, I can weigh whenever I want and not panic over a number that falls within that range. After i got a handle on daily fluctuation, I weighed once every day to track the natural variations from day to day. I started tracking daily so I could see if there was a downward trend. As long as there was, I had no worries. Now I weigh once a month (and occassionally a second or third time just to see) and it works fine for me (I am in my last few pounds).

So, my point is if you do it to get a handle on natrual fluctuations, then keep doing it. If it stresses you out, then i would suggest doing it less often.

EXACTLY!!! You so get it!!!