Water fasting

Options
I'm 20 hours fasting only drinking water. Some online source said the hunger is going to disappear. Well it didn't. I feel this pain in my stomach, I can't really explain the feeling. It's like my stomach is bloated en some muscle is punching on it. I'm heavily salivating and I'm burping (not constantly, just like every 30 minutes a burp). Will the hunger subside eventually?

Replies

• sunnbunniez
    sunnbunniez Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Water fasts can be dangerous even life threatening when done for and extended length of time and no the hunger will NOT subside for a long period of time like 21 to 60 days before you notice it is gone. I think you should add in a protien shake like Premire Nutrition or Muscle Milk Light. Be careful.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I've done a week long fasts before, just water and coffee. I did it for religious reasons not for dieting. Eventually the hunger subsides, but it will be replaced with headaches.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Xuluwuki wrote: »
    I'm 20 hours fasting only drinking water. Some online source said the hunger is going to disappear. Well it didn't. I feel this pain in my stomach, I can't really explain the feeling. It's like my stomach is bloated en some muscle is punching on it. I'm heavily salivating and I'm burping (not constantly, just like every 30 minutes a burp). Will the hunger subside eventually?

When you die you're not hungry anymore. That's pretty much how that works.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I need to know if you are eating the other four hours of the day before I comment?
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm fasting right now but I'm getting my nutrients by taking vitamins in the morning along with fiber gummies. As well as having a protein shake and fruit. I wouldn't try to just drink water by itself for a week
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Water fasts aren't dangerous for short periods of time. As the other posted stated, people have been doing them for religious or political reasons for millennia. Many people also do them when sick, although not usually by choice. :)

I've only done the sick kind and I wasn't usually feeling hungry when that happened so I can't give personal experience. As far as the bloated feeling, are you drinking a lot of water trying to combat the hunger pangs? Too much water in your stomach can definitely cause that type of feeling.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Didn't Jesus do it for 40 days?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Xuluwuki wrote: »
    Why are you doing this? You feel crappy because humans need food. Sorry (not sorry).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    A 20 hour fast is not going to kill a healthy person. As to hunger disappearing, when I do a 24 hour fast as part of my Intermittent fasting I am generally not hungry at all.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do a fast daily. I have my last food before midnight and then do not eat again until 8 pm the next day. It took about a week to get use to doing it but I don't feel bad during the day at all. If you don't feel well then eat. It is not for everyone.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    An online source lied to you about fasting....
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people do this to themselves.
  • toefreckle
    Options
    I've done water fasting for about three days, and it's awful. The hunger doesn't go away. I highly suggest juice fasting instead. You drink green juices and a digestive tea so your tract doesn't lay flat, lots of water, and a multivitamin. The hunger goes away after two days, and I've done this for a week at a time, about every six months. Make sure you research coming off a fast, or you'll gain all your weight back!
  • johnsat
    Options
    a lot of people fast for lots of reasons but if you are doing it to lose weight then stop. Fasting messes with your body and any gain you make will soon be lost, The best advice I can give is eat fresh colours, Greens, reds, whites and yellow on your plate means you are eating low fat and healthy foods.